Complete Third Member (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
wanting to regear my 1992 land cruiser FJ80 to 4.88 currently have ome lift on 35.12.50/15 BFG MT

Anyone know where I xan purchase front and rear complete third members ready to bolt in. Sent just differential an email but never got a response on which ones exackly I need to purxhase

Any help is greatly appreciated thanks

Sent them an email for an estimate. Thanks again

Is there a reason you want to go this route versus having your current diffs regeared? You would be spending a lot of extra money unless you plan to sell your old diffs. As you are in the Austin area you could find a reputable gear shop to do the regear.

Last edited:
Is there a reason you want to go this route versus having your current diffs regeared? You would be spending a lot of extra money unless you plan to sell your old diffs. As you are in the Austin area you could find a reputableg gear shop to do the regear.
Main reason is it is convenient and simple to swap them out I can do that myself

Using the price chart on cruiser outfitter website it would be in the price range of 2800-3000 initial payment which is alot but when i return the cores Ill get 1300$ back so puts price range 1500-1700$

The cheapest I have found 4.88R&P for front and rear also including master install kit is around 1100+tax

There is no way I can get someone to install the gears around here for 300-500$ that might get one axle installed and I would have to pull the third and bring it to them then wait who knows how long for them to do this.

I am bery mechanically inclined but dont have alot of experience with gears and would rather not have the thought in the back of my mind if I did it correctly…

Now if the estimate i requested comes back significantly higher then I will see how much ot would be here locally.

Main reason is it is convenient and simple to swap them out I can do that myself

Using the price chart on cruiser outfitter website it would be in the price range of 2800-3000 initial payment which is alot but when i return the cores Ill get 1300$ back so puts price range 1500-1700$

The cheapest I have found 4.88R&P for front and rear also including master install kit is around 1100+tax

There is no way I can get someone to install the gears around here for 300-500$ that might get one axle installed and I would have to pull the third and bring it to them then wait who knows how long for them to do this.

I am bery mechanically inclined but dont have alot of experience with gears and would rather not have the thought in the back of my mind if I did it correctly…

Now if the estimate i requested comes back significantly higher then I will see how much ot would be here locally.

I like your reasoning behind getting spare 3rds, as I have thought about doing the same thing when the time comes. I am also thinking of doing the same thing when it comes to a possible rebuild of the transfer case with new underdrive/overdrive gears. Mainly to reduce down time as she is my DD.

East Coast Gear Supply also sells assembled thirds.

East Coast Gear Supply also sells assembled thirds.
Dont think they have them for the cruisers thats where I bought mine for my 2nd gen tacoma But could be wrong will have to check again and see

I like your reasoning behind getting spare 3rds, as I have thought about doing the same thing when the time comes. I am also thinking of doing the same thing when it comes to a possible rebuild of the transfer case with new underdrive/overdrive gears. Mainly to reduce down time as she is my DD.
They wouldnt be spares Inplan on sending my original ones back to get the core (1300$)money back

IIRC, the '92 has semi-float rear axle with drum brakes. @orangefj45 I'm sure is aware of that so should be able to steer you correctly. Also, perfect time to do a complete front axle service, that is seals, gaskets, bearings, grease (both moly and muti-use), gear oil(of course) and inspect/clear vent. The full float rear axle I'm familiar with on the 80 series, but not so with the semi-float. But it would seem a good time to do full service on the rear, as well. Wheel bearings, seals, gaskets, gear oil, inspect/clear vent and whatever else the FSM calls out. BTW, @cruiseroutfit is a good source for axle kits.

IIRC, the '92 has semi-float rear axle with drum brakes. @orangefj45 I'm sure is aware of that so should be able to steer you correctly. Also, perfect time to do a complete front axle service, that is seals, gaskets, bearings, grease (both moly and muti-use), gear oil(of course) and inspect/clear vent. The full float rear axle I'm familiar with on the 80 series, but not so with the semi-float. But it would seem a good time to do full service on the rear, as well. Wheel bearings, seals, gaskets, gear oil, inspect/clear vent and whatever else the FSM calls out. BTW, @cruiseroutfit is a good source for axle kits.
Yes sir just redid the entire front axle bearing and seals and all so good there and plan on doing new rear bearings and seals when I do the swap

Yes sir just redid the entire front axle bearing and seals and all so good there and plan on doing new rear bearings and seals when I do the swap
We have all of these parts on hand as well.

😎

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

We have all of these parts on hand as well.

😎

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
Alright still waiting for the estimate for the thirds. And will see price and go from there have a couple other estimates from different companies so I can do price comparisons

The full float and semi-float are the same in regards to the third member.

You can still pull the thirds your self and have a shop set them up, in fact the shop that I use prefers that as you car is not taking up space in his shop.
A good busy shop will have and sale you the gears that you need saving you money as they make the mark up on the parts. most shops don't want you to bring in your own parts. You will save money on shipping as well.
Last year when I broke my ring and pinyon, I pulled the third and had the R&P replaced for $650 parts and labor I did not need a master rebuild kit because I did not have very many miles since the re-gear and it let go in my drive way.
I think you would be wise to find a reputable shop near you and just bring them your thirds ;)
The only reason you would buy the R&P your self is if you are going to install them your self. Remember a shop is buying in bulk and getting a discount that you can't get.
It's also eraser for a shop to warranty parts that He sales you.
One last thing if there is a issue you don't want to have to ship them back.

The full float and semi-float are the same in regards to the third member.
No disrespect, but the procedure for removing the axles, which is essential to removing the 3rd member, is quite different between full and semi float. My '94 FSM shows both, I guess, because you could still get semi float in '94 models. Also, since you have to remove rear housing cover, pinion shaft, spacer, gear, washer, and axle lock (C-clip) not present on the full float axles, it is highly possible that the semi float 3rd member is different than the full float. I have not removed a semi float and I'm not a certified Toyota mechanic, but this is info I'd certainly want to know, if swapping a 3rd member.

No disrespect, but the procedure for removing the axles, which is essential to removing the 3rd member, is quite different between full and semi float. My '94 FSM shows both, I guess, because you could still get semi float in '94 models. Also, since you have to remove rear housing cover, pinion shaft, spacer, gear, washer, and axle lock (C-clip) not present on the full float axles, it is highly possible that the semi float 3rd member is different than the full float. I have not removed a semi float and I'm not a certified Toyota mechanic, but this is info I'd certainly want to know, if swapping a 3rd member.

The physical third member, is the same between semi and full float. Semi-float gets a pillow block on the cross pin to locate the axle shafts and hold the c-clips in their pockets. Full float shafts are located by the flange getting bolted to the hub, so the pillow block is deleted. Side gears are the same between each variant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom