Delta VS Radius Arms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bros, this topic confuses me and I need an assist. How does one determine what radius arms one needs? I bought a pair of Delta 4s after installing a 3” Slinky suspension. I sent Dave at DVS my alignment numbers and he told me go with the Delta 4 arms.

Now I am moving to 37s and want the “long” version. What is the math equation to determine if I need the 3L or 5L?

My caster readings after the lift was -3.9 and -4.4

Have I searched? Yes. Have I read? Yes. Am I mildly to moderately dumb? Yes. Am I ready to be flamed for this question? Bring it on. Just flame me and help me. Thanks. 😘

Last edited:
Bros, this topic confuses me and I need an assist. How does one determine what radius arms one needs? I bought a pair of Delta 4s after installing a 3” Slinky suspension. I sent Dave at DVS my alignment numbers and he told me go with the Delta 4 arms.

Now I am moving to 37s and want the “long” version. What is the math equation to determine if I need the 3L or 5L?

Have I searched? Yes. Have I read? Yes. Am I mildly to moderately retarded? Yes. Am I ready to be flamed for this question? Bring it on. Just flame me and help me. Thanks. 😘

Hopefully this helps:
1670267476740.png

I didn't put the 4" or 6" arms because from what i understand they are a previous version and i couldn't dig up what their caster correction was and what (if anything) changed. If someone knows, I can drop it into the spreadsheet pretty easily.

Going to Long arms won't change these numbers. For my lift, I am after the 3L arms to help with my 37's :)

Have I searched? Yes. Have I read? Yes. Am I mildly to moderately retarded? Yes. Am I ready to be flamed for this question? Bring it on. Just flame me and help me. Thanks. 😘
Dear Pell, Get up on those 37’s with your 4” arms and test it out before making a decision. If you do indeed need longer arms always go bigger. 5L. 6+ degrees relaxes the Toyota built in over steer.

Dear Pell, Get up on those 37’s with your 4” arms and test it out before making a decision. If you do indeed need longer arms always go bigger. 5L. 6+ degrees relaxes the Toyota built in over steer.
Dearest Steve,
I already made the purchase for the Ls but stupidly assumed I needed the 3Ls. Now I am second guessing and trying to determine what I need before Dave ships me my arms.
Pell

You are saying, you want 6+ degrees of caster?!? Are you running the hub disconnects? your front drive shaft is going to hate you!

@FMC80 your 37's are going to rub on the back of your front fender, moving the axle forward is a good way to help mitigate this. So, Long arms or the Redline Axle relocation plates are the way to go.

Hopefully this helps:
View attachment 3185826

I didn't put the 4" or 6" arms because from what i understand they are a previous version and i couldn't dig up what their caster correction was and what (if anything) changed. If someone knows, I can drop it into the spreadsheet pretty easily.

Going to Long arms won't change these numbers. For my lift, I am after the 3L arms to help with my 37's :)
I ended up with approximately 4.5 inches of lift due to no armor and HD springs. Looks like I should opt for the 5Ls. Although I have armor “in the mail”. I got front and read DVS bumpers coming

Thank you for posting this. I still need to learn the equation. I’ll Google some more

I ended up with approximately 4.5 inches of lift due to no armor and HD springs. Looks like I should opt for the 5Ls.

Thank you for posting this. I still need to learn the equation. I’ll Google some more
PM your email and I can send you the file with the formulas. It's real easy once you see it

L vs non-L
can anyone use L arms, not just those running 37'? or to put it another way, is there any good reason to NOT get L arms when running 315's or even 285's?

You are saying, you want 6+ degrees of caster?!? Are you running the hub disconnects? your front drive shaft is going to hate you!

@FMC80 your 37's are going to rub on the back of your front fender, moving the axle forward is a good way to help mitigate this. So, Long arms or the Redline Axle relocation plates are the way to go.
Going to 37’s almost always dictates enough lift that part time is the next move unless you have the skills to run a 3” lift and do a bang up fender modification job.

Going to 37’s almost always dictates enough lift that part time is the next move unless you have the skills to run a 3” lift and do a bang up fender modification job.

rubbin’ is racin!

Hopefully this helps:
View attachment 3185826

Great chart. This should be on Page 1 o_O

Nice, good to know about the range.

I think you meant “caster”, and yes exactly right. I was trying to say that (regarding the relationship between caster and pinion angle) but stopped halfway 😆
Yu. CASTER. Damned spellchecker Murray been turned off?

Just got back from the alignment shop - here are some real world results on Standard Length 3" Arms.

My setup as measured below:
Icon 3" springs (including their spacer on driver's side F & R)
Delta Radius Arms, 3" Standard Length
Stock Front Bumper
GGM Rear Tire Carrier with a 35" KO2
1/2 Tank Gas
Empty Cargo Area

Current Center of Hub to Fender Measurements
Front Driver: 23.5"
Front Passenger: 23.5"
Rear Driver: 22.625"
Rear Passenger: 23"

Caster Measurements:
Step 0: Before Spring Install (Original OEM Springs):.................................................Driver = 2.3*; Passenger = 2.7*
Step 1: Before Delta Radius Arms (OEM Radius Arms, no Caster Correction): Driver = -2.8*; Passenger = -2.7*
Step 2: After Delta Radius Arms (3" Standard Length):..............................................Driver = 2.5*; Passenger = 2.9*
Total Caster Correction from Delta Arms:....................................................Driver = 5.3*; Passenger = 5.6*

The only thing I did between Step 1 and Step 2 was install the Icon spring spacer on the driver side only, which would change the caster angle just a little bit so I'd lean more on the passenger side correction amount as the accurate number (5.6*).

*Also wanted to add that while it took a while to get these arms, Dave at Delta was very good at responding to my many emails along the way with updates and I appreciate that. The arms are really nice, very high quality.

Last edited:
Just got back from the alignment shop - here are some real world results on Standard Length 3" Arms.

My setup as measured below:
Icon 3" springs (including their spacer on driver's side F & R)
Delta Radius Arms, 3" Standard Length
Stock Front Bumper
GGM Rear Tire Carrier with a 35" KO2
1/2 Tank Gas
Empty Cargo Area

Current Center of Hub to Fender Measurements
Front Driver: 23.5"
Front Passenger: 23.5"
Rear Driver: 22.625"
Rear Passenger: 23"

Caster Measurements:
Step 0: Before Spring Install (Original OEM Springs):.................................................Driver = 2.3*; Passenger = 2.7*
Step 1: Before Delta Radius Arms (OEM Radius Arms, no Caster Correction): Driver = -2.8*; Passenger = -2.7*
Step 2: After Delta Radius Arms (3" Standard Length):..............................................Driver = 2.5*; Passenger = 2.9*
Total Caster Correction from Delta Arms:....................................................Driver = 5.3*; Passenger = 5.6*

The only thing I did between Step 1 and Step 2 was install the Icon spring spacer, which would change the caster angle just a little bit so I'd lean more on the passenger side correction amount as the accurate number (5.6*).

*Also wanted to add that while it took a while to get these arms, Dave at Delta was very good at responding to my many emails along the way with updates and I appreciate that. The arms are really nice, very high quality.
Those spacers look to have taken about a degree off where you should be. The delta arms by the math should be +6.4*

I'm trying to get a lead time estimate on 3L arms so i can put an order in but I can't get any details or response for the last two weeks. Anyone have deets on 3L arms?

Those spacers look to have taken about a degree off where you should be. The delta arms by the math should be +6.4*

I'm trying to get a lead time estimate on 3L arms so i can put an order in but I can't get any details or response for the last two weeks. Anyone have deets on 3L arms?
Well, I didn't put a spacer on the passenger side, so that's purely correction from the arms without influence from the spacer. I was surprised I wasn't in the mid 3's based off the math.

Well, I didn't put a spacer on the passenger side, so that's purely correction from the arms without influence from the spacer. I was surprised I wasn't in the mid 3's based off the math.
Funky, how did the bushings on your old arms look that were installed when you took your initial measurement?

I know my bushings look terrible and I am pretty confident that can throw things off a degree either way.

Funky, how did the bushings on your old arms look that were installed when you took your initial measurement?

I know my bushings look terrible and I am pretty confident that can throw things off a degree either way.
Here are some pics I just took of them.

IMG_1455.JPEG
IMG_1456.JPEG
IMG_1457.JPEG
IMG_1458.JPEG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom