1969 fj40 3fe cylinder head on 2f block project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Hi all, i wanted to share a bit my process of the cylinder head swap from the 2f to 3fe. so i could upgrade my fj40 to fuel injection.

It all started with an idea, but to do it with an OEM look it had to be done with OEM parts. So i decided to go with the 3fe intake manifold. But to make it work well i had to upgrade the engine cylinder head, because the 3fe it has a custom shape for the injectors.
IMG_7523.JPG

As shoun in the pic, the perfectly square ones is the 2f or 3f carburated cylinder head, and the one that has the triangular shape over the square ones is the 3fe. this is designed to match the intake manifold.

So i started to search process. after a few weeks i found the 3fe cylinder head. Ive got one from a friend of mine, but it needed a rebuild process urgently.
IMG_7424.JPG

So i began to work.

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_7439.JPG

Ill keep u posted.....

IMG_7437.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd prefer the shorter stroke of the 3FE and the carb from the 2F. It is the low-rev of the 2F that I'd change out for something a bit more (rpm) modern highway-capable.

In the USA during the 1980s, highways were much slower, so 2F must have been the (legendary) way to go.

Hi all, i wanted to share a bit my process of the cylinder head swap from the 2f to 3fe. so i could upgrade my fj40 to fuel injection.

It all started with an idea, but to do it with an OEM look it had to be done with OEM parts. So i decided to go with the 3fe intake manifold. But to make it work well i had to upgrade the engine cylinder head, because the 3fe it has a custom shape for the injectors.
View attachment 3178201
As shoun in the pic, the perfectly square ones is the 2f or 3f carburated cylinder head, and the one that has the triangular shape over the square ones is the 3fe. this is designed to match the intake manifold.

So i started to search process. after a few weeks i found the 3fe cylinder head. Ive got one from a friend of mine, but it needed a rebuild process urgently.
View attachment 3178195
So i began to work.

View attachment 3178204
View attachment 3178205

Ill keep u posted.....

View attachment 3178201

View attachment 3178195
So i began to work.

View attachment 3178204
View attachment 3178205

Ill keep u posted.....
After a couple of weeks i started the mounting process.....

IMG_1040.jpg

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_7493.JPG

The cylinder head fitted just perfect, i had to do some tweks, but the mounting went pretty straight foward.....

IMG_1041.jpg

I'd prefer the shorter stroke of the 3FE and the carb from the 2F. It is the low-rev of the 2F that I'd change out for something a bit more (rpm) modern highway-capable.

In the USA during the 1980s, highways were much slower, so 2F must have been the (legendary) way to go.
Thats right, i did the 5 speed transmition swap with the stock 3,7 gearing right before starting this job :)

I purchased a head from an '82 FJ60 block/truck that underwent the 3FE conversion. I've also talked with someone who did this on their '69 40 restomod.

What you are building sounds like a good trail and highway plan. I'm curious what the difference in miles-per-gallon you get.

Personally, I'm inclined to do a Chevy straight or V-six if I was messing around with the motor, just because I insist that everything is as basic as 12.5V to the coil, one to the idle cut solenoid (maybe autochoke), and the wire that goes to the voltage regulator.

Last edited:
@gom2109 If you search "2FE" in thread titles from the 40, 60 and 80 sections, you'll find lots of info from others who have done this swap. I have 2 of them myself. 3FE head and EFI on 2F block puts the strong suits of the two engines together.

In my experience a balanced 2F bottom end is happy to 5000rpm (and maybe past when I wasn't watching the tach?).

I purchased a head from an '82 FJ60 block/truck that underwent the 3FE conversion. I've also talked with someone who did this on their '69 40 restomod.

What you are building sounds like a good trail and highway plan. I'm curious what the difference in miles-per-gallon you get.

Personally, I'm inclined to do a Chevy straight or V-six if I was messing around with the motor, just because I insist that everything is as basic as 12.5V to the coil, one to the idle cut solenoid (maybe autochoke), and the wire that goes to the voltage regulator.
Thats the target, a good trail/highway performance. while doing this process at first i opted for a regular non programmable Ecu with the stock single ignition coil. But i decided to upgrade it to a programmable ECU with an ignition coil per cylinder.
27BE78DF-CBE7-488A-8F60-0BE2E0CC66DB (1).jpg

The results are amazing, ive got 100HP on the floor with 159Lbs of torque using 33x12,5 tires with the 3,7 gearing. Ive got to fix some things and twek a bit on the dyno because it fails a bit ahile accelerating, but im moving on the right direction. The FZJ4,5L toyota engine stock has those numbers with 29 tires and 4,1 gearing.
IMG_7842.JPG

e2342bc2-d346-4ffb-a556-48efd8ac04b4.jpg

Ill keep posting how it goes.....

What numbers will the regular 2F give you on the dyno?

You lost some displacement when you mount that head to the 2F block? Why not run the entire motor from the 80, 100, or LX450?

What numbers will the regular 2F give you on the dyno?

You lost some displacement when you mount that head to the 2F block? Why not run the entire motor from the 80, 100, or LX450?
The regular carburated 2f will give 76HP with 116 LB of torque with 31 inch tyres, the best result weve got is 84 hp with 121LB of torque with 31 inch tyres. The fzj 4.5 L carburated engine has 100Hp and 141 Lb of torque with 31 inch tyres on an fj80.

what ECU did you use?

Yes, would appreciated more details on the ECU, MAF/MAP, coils, injectors, temp sensor(s), distributor, etc. Thank you.
Hi, im using a fueltech ft300 ECU, programed by MAP through the whole range of RMP and MAP/TPS simultanoeusly on low RMP to improve the response of the gas pedal. Im using Honda high impedance injectors, and im checking the mix with an innovate wideband. Im tempted to improve the ECU to a fuel tech ft450. ill be posting pics from my ecu Set up....

I'm running a '78 40; 2Fe with 3fe ECU, H41 on 35" tires. Bottom end is balanced and has a cam. Intake polished and ported. Have an 80 series air intake installed above and behind the battery. Did not have to cut the hood. Credit for making this happen goes to Kevin Patterson ( Tools r us) and John Brinker (ink pot). Puts a smile on my face when I drive it. Wheel it and has lots of torque. On the road - 80 mph and I still have pedal. Milage varies from 10 to 15 mpg. Hard not to drive fast on Arizona's freeways. You will get pushed around otherwise.

Keep us posted on your progress. You are going to enjoy your rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom