94 Driver's Door Handle Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I lasted almost 48 hours after getting my brakes back before I locked my keys in the truck. Had roadside come out to unlock it, and in the process the "professional locksmith" managed to hulk my driver's door handle into pieces. The claim is currently being looked at, but my local dealer told me the handle is discontinued and can't quote me a replacement price.

Has anyone replaced one recently? I've seen a few posts on here, but most of the stock for a green 94 seems to be long long gone. I've also seen some diy fixes that I was told by my insurance company not to try any of those until the claim has been made. It seems likely that I'll need to find anything I can in whatever color I can and paint it, but I'd rather not have to diy something that I didn't break...there's more than enough things I have broken to fix.

PXL_20221130_134727830.jpg

PXL_20221130_134418391.jpg

Correct, discontinued. Luckily you have one of the most popular colors for 80 series. I’d check out the classified section here on mud for a used unit

They're discontinued? I thought only the rear handles for the 6M1 were discontinued. I bought two new front 6M1 door handles last year; maybe I got lucky.

If they're indeed discontinued, buy the Dorman equivalent and get it painted, all on the locksmith's dime.

I just bought two new Dorman door handles for two different cruisers, and they're made in Taiwan and have a solid feel to them. They feel damn near the same as the OG door handles they replaced. I got them from RockAuto.

I got both of these painted at a local shop for about $100. The paint cost me $70. The door handles were around $80 IIRC.

IMG_8558.jpeg

Edit: I just checked Partsouq, and they have the left side handle in stock
Screen Shot 2022-11-30 at 7.42.32 PM.png

mine is cracked and I feel like it is near the end of its life.. what is a good glue to keep these things together? lol

They're discontinued? I thought only the rear handles for the 6M1 were discontinued. I bought two new front 6M1 door handles last year; maybe I got lucky.

If they're indeed discontinued, buy the Dorman equivalent and get it painted, all on the locksmith's dime.

I just bought two new Dorman door handles for two different cruisers, and they're made in Taiwan and have a solid feel to them. They feel damn near the same as the OG door handles they replaced. I got them from RockAuto.

I got both of these painted at a local shop for about $100. The paint cost me $70. The door handles were around $80 IIRC.

View attachment 3182336

Edit: I just checked Partsouq, and they have the left side handle in stockView attachment 3182345

View attachment 3182336

Edit: I just checked Partsouq, and they have the left side handle in stockView attachment 3182345
Hum....maybe old new stock? I have to take to to a collision shop for an estimate etc... So I'll see what they say. If I can find one myself I may just pocket the check, do the work, and buy a shiny new battery my baby's had her eye on...or even a replacement spare the same size as the tires.

Hum....maybe old new stock? I have to take to to a collision shop for an estimate etc... So I'll see what they say. If I can find one myself I may just pocket the check, do the work, and buy a shiny new battery my baby's had her eye on...or even a replacement spare the same size as the tires.
It isn’t New Old Stock (NOS). It is still available and cheap.

Here you go. Shipping might suck a little, but still available and not priced badly at all. I got a white one last year.

2022-11-30 21_42_18-HANDLE ASSY, FRONT DOOR OUTSIDE, LH 6922060020G0 _ Toyota Parts _ PartSouq.png

Jason

Here you go. Shipping might suck a little, but still available and not priced badly at all. I got a white one last year.

View attachment 3182465

Jason
I gave him the same info. He then posted a wanted ad on the classifieds for a green door handle. You can lead a horse to water…

I purchased the OEM two front handles in 6M1 during "the big sale" back in March and finally received them at the end of August but that was just Decatur being overwhelmed with orders.

FWIW I fixed a driver's door handle using a two part epoxy over ten years ago when money was tight and it's still in one piece. But then it's a lot of work to pull the handle so might be worth it to replace the handle with new while everything is apart then maybe repair and keep the old handle for a spare, or sell it??

Last edited:
I gave him the same info. He then posted a wanted ad on the classifieds for a green door handle. You can lead a horse to water…
Thanks for the lead guys. I bookmarked it. Besides shipping being $30 and it saying on the website to expect delays in shipping, posting in the parts section was also suggested in this thread. There's literally zero reason not to consider all options.

Last edited:
You’re right, it’s your time and money, but keep in mind the part on door handles that break are plastic. If you’re looking to buy a used one that’s your prerogative, but don’t be surprised if you’re back looking for another handle. Otherwise, a simple and affordable solution has been laid out for you to do what you will.

You’re right, it’s your time and money, but keep in mind the part on door handles that break are plastic. If you’re looking to buy a used one that’s your prerogative, but don’t be surprised if you’re back looking for another handle. Otherwise, a simple and affordable solution has been laid out for you to do what you will.
Yup. Makes perfect sense to me...they may end up requiring me to have it fixed at a collision shop and I'll demand a new OEM part color matched anyway. Thanks for the insight.

Just to make sure it is all clear, the PartSouq link that FMC80 and I posted (sorry man, just saw your Dorman pic first scroll), IS an new OEM color matched part. I understand you are in an "insurance" situation, but if it were me I would just ask the locksmith or whomever for $100 and call it good before I would let someone else in my door. if the handle plastic is all that broke. The trick with PartSouq is find a bunch of other small items that are half the price of US dealers that you need to order at the same time. Small items will likely add nothing to the shipping. LaGrange Toyota shows this part number as available, at $95.96, so if you have a dealer that will discount locally, you would break even with PartSouq (but I believe your dealer said it was NLA ?) . Some of us get stupid with replacing things, but these plastic handles are 25+ years old. I wouldn't pull the door panel and replace it with a used part for the difference in cost to a new OEM,.

Good luck,

Jason

Thanks
I am willing to bet you extended the push rod too much. Try backing it off half of what you extended and see how it goes.

View attachment 3182336

View attachment 3182465

Jason

Here’s a new OEM handle that’s even cheaper on eBay.

Thanks boys. I just got the estimate ($173.39) and submitted it. Gonna order that one from Ebay because it looks like shipping is about 10-14 days. I always forget to check EBAY for whatever reason. I appreciate everyone's input and links !!

Thanks

Thanks boys. I just got the estimate ($173.39) and submitted it. Gonna order that one from Ebay because it looks like shipping is about 10-14 days. I always forget to check EBAY for whatever reason. I appreciate everyone's input and links !!
Nice. The ebay one is coming from Dubai as well...they're on holiday for another day.

I recommend the Dorman door handle I posted above unless the black OEM ones are still available (I haven't checked). I am surprisingly pleased with the quality of the Dormans. @slow95z is the one who recommended them to me, and I'm a happy camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom