STOP me from buying a Raptor R! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Really?!?!
I’ll add that I have owned my fair share of stuff from the blue oval and it hasn’t been all doom and gloom. However my overall experience with Ford’s has been that mechanically they were fine but everything else tended to just wear out really fast. My last truck from them (a 2017 Platty with the 5.0) had discolored leather, rattles/creaks in the moonroof and door panels, and all sorts of electrical gremlins once it was out of warranty conveniently enough.

I actually traded that truck in early ‘21 on one of the first Powerboost Hybrids that hit the local dealer. This was right after we had this terrible winter storm here in Texas so naturally I thought the onboard generator would be a great idea. I took the truck home and the next day the entire infotainment system bricked. Dealer wanted to fix it but I insisted on them unwinding the deal and taking it back which they finally agreed to do. Just a few weeks later I decided to go back to Toyota (had a Tundra at one time) and got my 4Runner. Happy to be back in the fam and have a new found appreciation for the brand.

I’d be lying if I said I haven’t thought about getting a new Raptor but I can’t bring myself to do it now that I’ve tripped and fell into the Toyota rabbit hole. 🥲

Yes really. Many if not all the manufacturers have struggled to some degree with quality over the last couple years but Ford in particular seems to have taken it in the shorts the worst.

Yea as a major Ford fan myself, I can attest to the fact that Ford is hurting the most in this regard and most everyone I know with a new to two year old Ford have had multiple issues. Their QC has suffered big time since the "the thing" happened. This saddens me as I'd love to add a F-250 Tremor but I just can't bring myself to take the risk at the moment.

My experience is different. My brunettes have been skanky and a PIA. My blondes have been down to earth and really good persons inside and out. That being said, JUST GET THE DAMN LC and live a good life.

My experience is different. My brunettes have been skanky and a PIA. My blondes have been down to earth and really good persons inside and out. That being said, JUST GET THE DAMN LC and live a good life.

I've had my share of heart breakers and PITA's of both hair color but one blonde in particular was the worst one of all lol. I swore the yellow hairs off for good after that.

While I lusted over the idea of another v8 raptor (formerly owned a 2014 before buying my LX) I was kind of let down when they announced it. I keep playing around with the idea of getting back into a raptor but it would be a low mile gen 1 with a supercharger. The 6.2 is a beast and a workhorse proven to exceed 300k miles with regular maintenance. You can upgrade the sync system in the 13/14’s so at least the infotainment is up to date. That’s just me though. Doesn’t mean the R isn’t cool. But I’m not a fan of markups and waiting years to receive the vehicle I ordered.

The LC is pretty much a guarantee to be trouble free, who knows what you’ll get with the raptor with fords current track record.

Also if you haven’t already put in your order chances are it’ll be a long time before you get your hands on one unless you find one in a showroom with a disgusting markup.

Get the Raptor R.

You'll have QC issues in every brand especially post pandemic models, my new 2021 highlander randomly went into limp home mode I barely got it to the gas station - turned the car off and back on it was as if nothing happened.

It’s better you buy the Raptor new and enjoy it than buy it used down the road. But you can always find an LC to enjoy down the road.

I owned a 2011 Raptor with the 6.2L v8 and it was a great truck. It was my daily driver for over 10 years before I sold it to a good friend. The ecoboost v6 never appealed to me and I never owned a gen 2 or gen 3, but had a couple friends that did. Both had the cam phaser issue (one guy repeatedly). My good friend is a Ford mechanic and is very sour on any ecoboost; he rebuilds them non-stop.

I now own a 2020 HE 200 and a 2021 Ram TRX. I love the TRX; it is superior to my old Raptor in every way. If you are not tied to the Ford brand, you owe it to yourself to seek out a test drive. It’s like driving a C8 corvette but with comfort and utility that’s off the charts. Payload and towing numbers have never been an issue for me; if you need more than you really need a 3/4 or 1 ton setup. The TRX tows our wakeboard boat better than the 200.

It’s been issue free and reliable through 23,000 miles, and I’m admitting I hope it stays that way! It’s main negatives are fuel economy (12 mpg average for me) the premium fuel required, and its big (like a Raptor) making it less friendly in tight parking lots or city driving. It’s a thirsty, incredibly fun, comfortable, do-it-all beast. It is roomier and far more comfortable than my LC. The seats are so good. I’m 6’2” 200 lbs for reference.

My LC200 has been mostly in storage after about 7000 miles. Not because I don’t love it (I hope I never have to sell it), but because it’s so expensive to have full coverage on both trucks and I don’t want to drive it in the Michigan winter salt if I can avoid it.

Personally, I don’t believe the Raptor R will be “better” than the TRX in any way aside from possibly collector value (because of limited production numbers and most buyers will pay markups). It will likely be slower than the TRX. If you can get the R for sticker go for it. However, you can still order a TRX for 9-10k under sticker at the right dealer if you can be patient and wait for your truck. That’s a better value in comparison to any Raptor, especially the R, in my opinion.

Best of luck, but really think twice before selling that Land Cruiser!

Just to add some context on my “value” opinion.
TRX Base Price: $78,790
Raptor Base Price: $109,145

From what I have read, most people interacting with Ford dealers are saying to expect $30-50k ADM on a Raptor R purchase.

A loaded TRX with a 10k discount should be around $80k.

If money is not a factor, than I could understand wanting the R for rarity and collector value.

Just to add some context on my “value” opinion.
TRX Base Price: $78,790
Raptor Base Price: $109,145

From what I have read, most people interacting with Ford dealers are saying to expect $30-50k ADM on a Raptor R purchase.

A loaded TRX with a 10k discount should be around $80k.

If money is not a factor, than I could understand wanting the R for rarity and collector value.
No surprise there. Ford dealers have been some of the most egregious with ADM's.

No surprise there. Ford dealers have been some of the most egregious with ADM's.
My prior experiences with the majority of Ford dealerships also mirrors this sentiment. Before COVID, etc I too consistently noticed the high proportion of slimeball salesmen associated with the blue oval regarding pricing, inventory, natural disasters (ridiculous), etc. A LOT of stereotypes reinforced previously.

Toyota vs Chrysler...

I read those tug of wars have more to do with grip than anything else is that true?
My prior experiences with the majority of Ford dealerships also mirrors this sentiment. Before COVID, etc I too consistently noticed the high proportion of slimeball salesmen associated with the blue oval regarding pricing, inventory, natural disasters (ridiculous), etc. A LOT of stereotypes reinforced previously.
Yeah I had a day 1 Bronco reservation that got converted into a Bronco Raptor reservation they wanted $37,500 over sticker after buying some high dollar Fords and referring friends there. They let me spec my truck and then sold it from under me. I haven't had time to complain to corporate yet.

Don't feel bad for me because at even the base price I thought a near-new condition LX570 would be a better fit for me and it turned out to be true.

I lust after the TRX though I might get one before they discontinue it, hopefully have some time to amass the funds as I want to keep the 200.

Yea as a major Ford fan myself, I can attest to the fact that Ford is hurting the most in this regard and most everyone I know with a new to two year old Ford have had multiple issues. Their QC has suffered big time since the "the thing" happened. This saddens me as I'd love to add a F-250 Tremor but I just can't bring myself to take the risk at the moment.
For what it’s worth, I’ve been building more and more Ford 350s-550s and Ram 3500 and 5500 lately as the cruisers and tundras are a bit too small for some jobs.

And during this last year, I feel that almost every vehicle has problems. As a Toyota fan boy, I’m having a hard time with them from a reliably standpoint. Ram has got something wild going on with their interiors, I mean, I get these rather new vehicles to build and at this point, I don’t plan to work on them till we do our own QC. The Fords seem to be doing okay as far as the Super Dutys.

For everyone:
It’s tuff times for all manufacturers for sure. But, I buy Toyota’s for there reliably. Not their off road worthiness, not their looks, not their power (because I don’t think Toyota excels to the top in those aspects) I buy them for reliably. And when their reliably isn’t head and shoulders better than the next, well, makes me question things I guess. Kinda like how I don’t buy Volvo for their safety, because every car is safe now. Except for a Ford Fiesta, those will kill you, but everything else is pretty safe.

I don’t know… I say buy whatever you want these days. Just go into it with accepting that a 100k truck will have problems, and a 100k truck is not anything special, so it will just take time to work out all the bugs from production. But, after that, it will be fine.

If I had unlimited money, I would buy whatever I wanted. Since I had unlimited money I would have a fleet of cars. If I had unlimited money I would sell every new Ford, Dodge, Chevy or Mercedes just before the warranty ran out.

As I don't have unlimited money, I drive a Toyota.

For what it’s worth, I’ve been building more and more Ford 350s-550s and Ram 3500 and 5500 lately as the cruisers and tundras are a bit too small for some jobs.

And during this last year, I feel that almost every vehicle has problems. As a Toyota fan boy, I’m having a hard time with them from a reliably standpoint. Ram has got something wild going on with their interiors, I mean, I get these rather new vehicles to build and at this point, I don’t plan to work on them till we do our own QC. The Fords seem to be doing okay as far as the Super Dutys.

For everyone:
It’s tuff times for all manufacturers for sure. But, I buy Toyota’s for there reliably. Not their off road worthiness, not their looks, not their power (because I don’t think Toyota excels to the top in those aspects) I buy them for reliably. And when their reliably isn’t head and shoulders better than the next, well, makes me question things I guess. Kinda like how I don’t buy Volvo for their safety, because every car is safe now. Except for a Ford Fiesta, those will kill you, but everything else is pretty safe.

I don’t know… I say buy whatever you want these days. Just go into it with accepting that a 100k truck will have problems, and a 100k truck is not anything special, so it will just take time to work out all the bugs from production. But, after that, it will be fine.

This is the best and most rational Toyota fan post i have ever read on MUD and I'm just happy and thank you.
I tend to relay these same sentiments in a very much more negative tone, but yeah.
Ill keep my LX for 20 years, and it end up costing me pennies MUAHAHAHA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom