Tach for HZJ75 (Speedhut) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm zeroing in on adding some 24v versions of the Speedhut gauges for my Troopy. I currently have the basic cluster with only speedo, fuel and temp.
I am considering adding a tach and Speedhut has 2 flavors, one spec'd for diesel. I'm hoping someone knows enough about this to tell me which flavor is correct for this application.

Diesel tach
(Tachometer Signal Type: Diesel (alternator with an 'R' or 'W' terminal, crank sensor signal, magnetic pulse sensor)

or

standard tach

This is a really dumb question, but doesn't your truck have a tach already?
No. As I said up top speedo, fuel and temp is all I have.

Driving without a Tach in my Troopy wasn't bad at all, but I wanted one. I ended up installing a Diesel spec'd TinyTach. Simple and relatively inexpensive. I don't look at it much now, but it was great when first installed to confirm HWY RPMs.

Photo from another mudder, and where I got the idea:

tiny tach bj75_01.jpg

Not that you are looking for install ideas, but one of the cleanest (to my eye) installs short of a cluster with tach is what @umpqua did- he mounted one in the air vent to the right of the steering wheel. Clean, innovative and unobtrusive.

70 Tach.jpeg

But to answer your query, I think you want the diesel tach. Here's a quick blurb from a stand alone AutoMeter gauge installed in an 1HZ powered 80, with a clean pillar mount.

No. As I said up top speedo, fuel and temp is all I have.
Just curious, in your previous vehicles that had tachs, assuming you had one, did you find yourself using it as a tool in day to day driving?

My bad, I see that now. I feel your pain. I cannot imagine not having a tachometer.
Powerband is from 1000 to 2800 rpm , not really that much need for a tach with a 1HZ . If you have a 2 stroke that runs 22000rpms with a power band between 16-18k a tach is handy when getting to know the engine but the 1HZ will let you know when it isn't happy by vibrations or getting to loud ;)

the tach on my lj78 hasn’t worked properly since switching to a mechanical 3l injection pump.
It reads 1800 at 90kmh. Its not really a big deal since I use the speedo and engine noise for shifting.
I am poking around in the gauge to find a resistor or bridge clip to change that will bring the needle up to where it should be.

having a tach is nice, but feeling so strongly about it, i'm interested to hear why:popcorn:

ha! Maybe I worded that too strongly.

I used the tach a lot while tuning following the turbocharger / intercooler / boost compensator install. It helped a lot with that.

On a daily basis, the tachometer is fairly useless apart from being an idiot light. BUT it is pretty handy as an idiot light. For example, this morning, I noticed my RPM's had jumped from 650rpm to around 800rpm. I probably would have heard this eventually, but it was nice to catch on the tachometer. I had left A/C idle up tie rod loose during the multiple tunes and tweaks I've been doing. It had jammed up (hence the "idiot light"). Whoops. But the tach helped me there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom