Builds 1997 HZJ77HV-PEU Build (Grey Poupon) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
the truck in this build did come with remote entry, I have not found the box yet but when I do, I will see if I can get all the details. it's got a nice solid remote and it functions just like the other dealer installed Toyota stuff I have owned. In the US I'm pretty sure all the remote entry systems were dealer installed and finding a new in the box RS3000 is like finding a vile of unicorn blood.

When I get to that part, I will see what I can find out about it. I have owned Toyota trucks for 30+ years now and done frame off restores on 3rd gen 4Runners. I know pretty much every dirty little secret.

remote entry is pretty simple to wire up if all the lock actuators are operating correctly.

Just a reminder, there are LED vendors in 'MUD's
"Small Business Storefront".

Sorry I'm new to 8mud site... what is this "Small Business Storefront" you speak of? The store front just had stickers and SWAG stuff.

I did browse around but with 70 series it's like nothing exists?

I will be looking to upgrade interior lights for sure, just starting with the basics right now.

Sorry I'm new to 8mud site... what is this "Small Business Storefront" you speak of? The store front just had stickers and SWAG stuff.

I did browse around but with 70 series it's like nothing exists?

I will be looking to upgrade interior lights for sure, just starting with the basics right now.
No worries …… P.M. sent

Last edited:
Amazing. Interesting to see which keyless system you have. Post a picture of the remote fob when you have a chance.

I will keep looking for that unicorn blood in the meantime. 😂

nothing really printed anyplace on the keyfob to indicate where it came from. it's super solid, the case is metal not chrome plastic. Maybe you can figure out something from these shots?
IMG_3474.JPG

IMG_3475.JPG

IMG_3476.JPG

IMG_3477.JPG

nothing really printed anyplace on the keyfob to indicate where it came from. it's super solid, the case is metal not chrome plastic. Maybe you can figure out something from these shots?
View attachment 3176866

View attachment 3176867

View attachment 3176868

View attachment 3176869

I have the same system (or at least have the same key fobs). I removed it when I first got the HZJ77 when I was removing a lot of extra wiring but now I am in the process of wiring it back in in a neater fashion because I realized that I miss the wireless lock/unlock feature very much during my recent discussion with @ATL Cruiser about this stuff.

They are sold by cepinc.jp キーレスエントリー【 ロックマン・スーパーロックマン・スマートロックマン】 - https://cepinc.jp/chumon/kl_top.html The website is in Japanese so it is a bit hard to navigate but with a bit of help of google translate, you can probably find your exact set up. I know mine is an much older version of what they sell now in regards to the receiver unit but the key fobs remained the same. They are nice because they are 24V systems set up for the 70 series.

Here is my set up as I have not yet wired it back in yet.

keys.jpg

I noticed that our key fobs are actually slightly different. You have the alarm button. Mine doesn't but the style is still the same.

No picts because who wants to see used oil?

I got my pile of parts installed. Took the air box out and cleaned it all out, installed the new gaskets and coated it with fluid film. I write down the mileage now days because my old brain forgets when things got changed.

IMG_3480.JPG

Changed both front and rear diffs, it was pretty much what I expected. The rear was in desperate need of changing but just some sludge on the magnet no big chunks or long curls. The front was almost new still... but now I know. The drain and fill bolts were correctly torqued and had new gaskets, good sign.

The transfer case was slighly discolored but looked really pretty decent. also drain and fill plugs were done correctly.

The Transmission was still red but was asking for some fresh fluid, I did not drop the pan but next time here I will clean it out and order a new filter.

The Fuel filter was where things went off the rails... it did have some chunks in the bottom on it but it was not as bad as I expected. Was so freaking tight I ended up flipping it over and securing it back in the mount and was able to get it off. The level switch that has the little petcock on the bottom... I was like cool lets use this to drain the filter so diesel does not run all over... in the back of my mind I was saying to myself "don't do it's going to leak and you know it"

after putting it back togeather and priming it... yep leaked AHHHHH. went online and ordered a new one, probably could just order the o-ring but this way it should not leak now.

IMG_3479.JPG

Ordered...
pressure switch.png

fun with oil filters

the only part left on all the fluids to change was engine oil + filter. The existing filter was put on by hulk because it was not coming off, I usually just hand tight + a bump. However the existing filter was 102 mm 15 flute and I did not have that oil filter cap wrench laying around, nothing I had was big enough to get it. So I tried 3d printing one.
IMG_3487.JPG

IMG_3488.JPG

unfortunately it gave up the ghost trying to get off hulks work but I would guess as long as you don't over tighten a filter this would work. I ended up in Fusion 360 to create a 102mm 15 flute with a 1/2 in socket drive style and still had to use a 24 breaker bar to get the old one off. But it did the trick so I'm all changed up except for coolant and power steering. Plasma cutting robots to the rescue, I guess.

IMG_3489.JPG

09228-10002 is your best friend for the OEM 1HZ oil filters.

09228-64010 is your second best friend for the OEM fuel filters.

that being said, I still like what you made!

Last edited:
Because of all the great content out here... maybe I can add just a bit
my truck came with a non-OEM oil filter and becuase it was stuck... I qucikly ginned up a kind of one use tool but it seems like the OEM ones are getting a little sparse. I will include the STL just in case those of us with Plasma,laser, water jet could quickly cut this out. I cut mine out of 6.22 mm or 1/4" A36 plate.

H206W.jpg

102mm oil filter wrench flat cut v3.jpg

here is the STL for this wrench I will see if I can do one for the OEM 100 mm as well and the fuel filter between conf calls today

STL 102mm oil filter wrench

Last edited:
Ok this will work for the fuel filter, the measurements are kind of strange. Keep in mind if you decide to cut this you might have to tweek the scale on it. I like my stuff snug to fit.

IMG_3492.JPG

here is the STL file
85 mm fuel filter wrench

I put the Toyota OEM wrench in my partsouq cart so next time I order I will have one but for now this works if I need to do something in a pinch.

IMG_3493.JPG

STL file
100 mm oil filter wrench

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom