Builds 1969 FJ40 named Mavis (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So Aisin FANB75020 from Kurt.

Hopefully it fits on the stock fan clutch I have on it.

Ever notice how you start collecting "not quite the right" parts during a car build?
Good question for @cruiseroutfit

He may have a shorter snoot pump.

There is no way you should be having this issue. I’ve stuffed 5-6 2Fs in early 40s with no issues. It’s close but it works

Good question for @cruiseroutfit

He may have a shorter snoot pump.

There is no way you should be having this issue. I’ve stuffed 5-6 2Fs in early 40s with no issues. It’s close but it works
And just like that, I figured out the problem.

The front frame crossmember was subtly off in a critical dimension.

While it is square to the frame rails from the front, the cross member was 1/2" thicker on the driver side, and the curve that distributes the stress was shallower to the place where it rivets to the frame. To overcome this, whoever last installed it used a longer radiator mount on the driver side, which is why it looked funny in the initial pictures.

In order for the radiator to sit square, it was all the way forward on the driver side slot and all the way to the rear on the passenger side. This pushed the radiator back into the space we have to work with like an 1 1/2".

I just took a grinder to that puppy, and reduced the thickness on the driver's side frame cross member to 3 1/2" to match the passenger side. And made the curve toward frame side rail there more or less match the passenger side. Also redrilled the driver's side radiator mount so the radiator sits square.

And now, just like that, the radiator fits. A bit tighter with the fan than I normally like, but it fits. And the new fan blade should help that tightness.

Here's the picture I posted earlier, which clearly showed the issue, if I'd only bothered to put a measure to the crossmember and radiator supports.

1669732246666.png

Good you got it to fit but that cross member sure looks like it’s the factory riveted install. And the drivers side radiator mount is longer than the passenger mount because of the pto. And the cross member isn’t symmetrical wrt the centerline of the rig. Something else is up with your rig.

Good you got it to fit but that cross member sure looks like it’s the factory riveted install. And the drivers side radiator mount is longer than the passenger mount because of the pto. And the cross member isn’t symmetrical wrt the centerline of the rig. Something else is up with your rig.

Whatever is up with Mavis, it was also up for the P.O..

The fan shroud is notched out to allow for the alternator pulley/belt and the F four blade fan was fairly tight with the original radiator. And I can find no super obvious signs of major damage/alteration that made that so.

First, the internets tell me this is the heater control. Where does it go, exactly? Assuming it didn't normally dangle like that.
Should be a hole for it in your dash, one of the lower knobs.

There's a good thread on knob configuration somewhere. Let me see if I can find it.

Well, poop. It seems I have a full set of heater controls in the dash and then that darned thing just hanging there.

16698533992766927456657624665678.jpg

Got my trans tunnel installed. Thanks to @ToyotaMatt for the excellent weldable captive nuts. I decided to forget about welding them from underneath, so I drilled out the holes to 1/2" and dropped them into the holes and welded from above. Lots easier that way and worked great.

IMG_20221130_194626916.jpg

IMG_20221130_194830490.jpg

IMG_20221130_195652173.jpg

IMG_20221130_201041147.jpg

Since I'm waiting on parts, I addressed some other issues.

View attachment 3182271

First, the internets tell me this is the heater control. Where does it go, exactly? Assuming it didn't normally dangle like that.

View attachment 3182272

For those who run Weber carbs, is this turned 180 degrees or is it just me?
That looks more like a hazard switch (?-possibly?) not a heater control switch. Also, is the middle upper switch the headlight switch (to the left of the makeshift dash light). If it is, it's in the wrong place and that is where the hazard switch would reside.

Template - http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/Hazard_Switches.htm

That looks more like a hazard switch (?) not a heater control switch. Also, is the middle upper switch the headlight switch (to the left of the makeshift dash light). If it is, it's in the wrong place and that is where the hazard switch goes.

Template - http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/Hazard_Switches.htm
Headlight is left of the steering column. The hazard switch is where it goes and is fully accounted for. That is an "extra" switch. I'm going to unwind some of the loom and try to figure out what kind of chicanery that switch is for.

Yep.

Both of those work and are wired correctly.

But the question is, what is the third heater switch hanging there for?
My money is the hazard switch I don't see one on your dash. It should have a red knob. Also the wire colors look like turn signal wires which would indicate possible hazard switch. The little black knob should be the interior light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom