Cruiser monitoring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I only found out about LCs a few weeks ago. And, I picked up a 96 LX450. I was told that I should keep track of my trans temperature. What are you using to measure your trans temperature? And, what else are you keeping an eye on?

I purchased the scan gauge and wasn’t sure if this was the best option. Seems antiquated and not user friendly. I may return it. And, search for something else.

I’m researching this topic.

8A58C7DA-229A-40C0-8634-7C0A695A33DB.jpeg

Scangauge won’t do trans temps

Believe whomever recommended temp monitoring intended to suggest monitoring coolant temps.

This one guy was at his wits end doing so 😂

Coolant system is much more imperative in regards to preserving head gasket and motor health in general. Plenty of info here. Good place to start the baselining process of you new rig.

Welcome.

Ultra gauge is another popular option.

I put a transmission temperature gauge in my LX450 when I started towing a heavy camper. Sensor is located in the pan. The temp was always fine.

US east coast here = limited mountain towing. YMMV

In my experience if your trans gets hot in an 80 series you will be able to feel the extra heat radiating from the transmission tunnel while your driving.

I only found out about LCs a few weeks ago. And, I picked up a 96 LX450. I was told that I should keep track of my trans temperature. What are you using to measure your trans temperature? And, what else are you keeping an eye on?

I purchased the scan gauge and wasn’t sure if this was the best option. Seems antiquated and not user friendly. I may return it. And, search for something else.

I’m researching this topic.

View attachment 3180700
I happen to prefer the UltraGauge. None of them will monitor trans temps because there is no factory sensor for trans temp to the ECU. The ones that do added a sensor.

Why did someone tell you to monitor trans temps? Are you intending to tow with it? What are your plans?

I monitor voltage, coolant temp, speed, average trip MPG, oil mileage, mileage since last major service (tires)

I will occasionally scroll through the pages and watch my O2 sensors and how they are responding. That's how I found I had a bad one. it would drive fine for a while, then do weird things. I found one O2 would work fine, then randomly lock on a value and never change. Installed a new one and it was good to go.

Monitoring my voltage helped me catch a bad alternator before it was a problem. I watched the voltage drop while at a stop light at idle. It hit 11.5 and the turn signal no longer worked.

Mostly, I use it to clear my P0401 EGR code i get on every other start and run. It's nice because I can do that while I'm driving, see the code and clear it.

FWIW, there is a transmission temperature sensor on the LX450 (the A343F to be exact, so the '95-'97 Land Cruiser has it too). The sensor just doesn't connect directly to the ECU, but rather to the TCU, which is why the aftermarket gauges don't see it. The sensor goes to the TCU and then to the ECU, which is how it gets to the dash lights.

I have seen exactly one (one of mine, unfortunately) A343F-equipped Land Cruiser with temperature problems. To be clear though, mine are engine temperature rises I believe are related to higher than normal transmission oil temperatures. They don't get hot enough to turn the light on, but I know the clutches have started slipping, so I assume it runs hotter than it should. Since the radiator cools the transmission oil, it has less engine cooling capacity when the transmission oil is hot.

All it would take to get the signal is to fab up a pigtail to connect between the sensor output and the EC1 connector. It's on my list to do, but I haven't gotten around to it.
1669755681650.png

...from Page 131 of 1995, Drivetrain, Electronically Controlled Transmission (ECT) and AT indicator (ppg 130-137)

FWIW, there is a transmission temperature sensor on the LX450 (the A343F to be exact, so the '95-'97 Land Cruiser has it too). The sensor just doesn't connect directly to the ECU, but rather to the TCU, which is why the aftermarket gauges don't see it. The sensor goes to the TCU and then to the ECU, which is how it gets to the dash lights.

I have seen exactly one (one of mine, unfortunately) A343F-equipped Land Cruiser with temperature problems. To be clear though, mine are engine temperature rises I believe are related to higher than normal transmission oil temperatures. They don't get hot enough to turn the light on, but I know the clutches have started slipping, so I assume it runs hotter than it should. Since the radiator cools the transmission oil, it has less engine cooling capacity when the transmission oil is hot.

All it would take to get the signal is to fab up a pigtail to connect between the sensor output and the EC1 connector. It's on my list to do, but I haven't gotten around to it.
View attachment 3181068

...from Page 131 of 1995, Drivetrain, Electronically Controlled Transmission (ECT) and AT indicator (ppg 130-137)
Thank you for the more detailed clarification.

I simply stated: "None of them will monitor trans temps because there is no factory sensor for trans temp to the ECU."

Which is correct, as you stated, but I know my UG will not monitor a separate TCU unless the ECU wants to allow that information through.

For all intents and purposes, there is no transmission oil temperature sensor, because it doesn't send a signal where it can be got. You weren't wrong.

Do you monitor anything else
Scangauge won’t do trans temps

Believe whomever recommended temp monitoring intended to suggest monitoring coolant temps.

This one guy was at his wits end doing so 😂

Coolant system is much more imperative in regards to preserving head gasket and motor health in general. Plenty of info here. Good place to start the baselining process of you new rig.

Welcome.

Ultra gauge is another popular option.
I monitor voltage, coolant temp, speed, average trip MPG, oil mileage, mileage since last major service (tires)

I will occasionally scroll through the pages and watch my O2 sensors and how they are responding. That's how I found I had a bad one. it would drive fine for a while, then do weird things. I found one O2 would work fine, then randomly lock on a value and never change. Installed a new one and it was good to go.

Monitoring my voltage helped me catch a bad alternator before it was a problem. I watched the voltage drop while at a stop light at idle. It hit 11.5 and the turn signal no longer worked.

Mostly, I use it to clear my P0401 EGR code i get on every other start and run. It's nice because I can do that while I'm driving, see the code and clear it.
I’m not towing anything. But will have 37s or 40s on it eventually. (Currently has 35s). And I’m gearing down to 529 which I already have and needs to be installed. I will be using it for overlanding. So it will be weighed down a bit.

33s and 4.10s are perfect for “overlanding” btw

For the love of the cruiser baseline it before you build it. Or not. 🤷

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom