Crankshaft hand crank tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where can a guy lay his hands on that tool that spins the crankshaft claw nut?
Or, any ideas on a facsimile of such a tool, or a way to fabricate one?
Thanks
Doug

If you're not starting the engine but just rotating for service, I put this together with material I had on hand. Not something to stow onboard, but good enough to hang in the shop.

Hand Crank.jpg

Hand Crank 2.jpg

You can rock the cruiser also to rotate flywheel. If that’s what your doing…

Definitely a preferred simple method. Leave it in 4th, I grip tire to rock. Must be flat

Pretty clever, I’m going to the hardware store now!
Is that 3/4, or 1/2 pipe?
1/2" pipe and 3/8 all-thread rod. I drilled the hole a might small and pounded it in. Smooth rod or a long shank bolt would make a nicer job. I pounded it in long and then trimmed to length.

I think that the kick-back is from ignition occurring too early on the compression stroke. Four-stroke engine stuff, you know. Any other ideas on how to spin it backwards?

Last edited:
Any other ideas on how to spin it backwards?

the only way I see is the 'put it in 4th gear and push on the bumper' method. The claws on the crank nut only engage one direction.

This is what I came up with.
Instead of the T handle, I notched a 3/16 spark plug socket and pounded it over the all-thread.
It probably doesn’t have the same leverage, but when the fixed T is at the 12 and 6 o’clock positions it’s a little harder to manage than a socket wrench.

D7E0C3B6-CBAC-4FCD-8FFC-E911B1A7FBA2.jpeg

900BD0C8-7697-4E8A-9FB9-2DA3B9A09B28.jpeg

I think that the kick-back is from ignition occurring too early on the compression stroke. Four-stroke engine stuff, you know. Any other ideas on how to spin it backwards?

Believe the nut used on F motors you could use a deep socket with long 1/2" extension plus a long handle 1/2" pry bar could rotate the engine backwards. Most my experience is with my 68 which was press on with no nut.

I have the socket for 2F probably for F. I also have the bracket for the bumper for the crank to go in.

The threaded rod looks like a fine design, as you could really cake the threads with grease, and I'm into making threads more than burning welds, but a spot weld on it would keep it from rattling around with everything else. The handle with hex, it wouldn't fit like the original one did on the fender well, and I have a couple of clips too. This would explain some differences between trucks, 40, 45s, 55?

I was just wondering, because a four-stroke-gas-engine appears to go the other way when it diesels and you have no idle cut solenoid or whatever. Ignition timing occurs during the compression stroke. If it happens too early, you could see how it might stop the piston from compressing the fuel charge, and maybe spin the crankshaft the other way. I don't know if this is what I'm observing, but, it would be a bad experience if the engine kicks back, I could imagine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom