Building the Princess - HJ60 build blog. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1668457918561.png

Fired up the electrics in the cab today.. all seems to be in order. Flywheel has been freshly skimmed, new clutch ready to go on the engine, then the H55F can be mated back up to the block and it can all drop into the engine bay..

1668924235002.png

1668924107823.png

1668924165819.png

A thorough inspection of everything is really paying off.. the starter relay and glow solenoid have definitely been in the weather - I suspect the loom was out in the rain with the relays upside down.. they cleaned up nicely and are now working properly. The glow solenoid seen below was the worst of the two.

1669447955825.png

1669447977950.png

Paint it black, and send it back.

A new high pressure line is going to be required I think.

1669448790079.png

thanks Duncan (you kinda looked happier when you were drinking! ):D

Hahha.. I definitely wasnt. I am so much happier sober, even if I look grumpy in almost every photo :)

Hahha.. I definitely wasnt. I am so much happier sober, even if I look grumpy in almost every photo :)
excellent score getting the good chassis close to home. I could do with something like that for a hj75 troopy...just love the troopy configuration.
keep posting, it is inspiring, 60's are being so well celebrated it has increased their price value for sure.

Fresh new clutch and spigot bearing installed, fly wheel skimmed and stiffener plate removed and painted.

1669583240344.png

are you going to kick her over on the stand?

Already done.. I will try and find a video.

I think its a good runner, factory unopened engine, zero blowby, good compression. The only niggling concern I have is the oil cooler cover - I've had a look with a borescope and it looks OK from what I can see but the thermostat lower housing had some deep pitting - this engine has definitely been running just water - I'll be running a fine mesh coolant filter for a while and a second hand radiator until I'm happy its running nice and clean. In hindsight I'm regretting not pulling off the cooler cover when I had the inlet manifold off - lazy.

1669586768543.png

Last edited:
Already done.. I will try and find a video.

I think its a good runner, factory unopened engine, zero blowby, good compression. The only niggling concern I have is the oil cooler cover - I've had a look with a borescope and it looks OK from what I can see but the thermostat lower housing had some deep pitting - this engine has definitely been running just water - I'll be running a fine mesh coolant filter for a while and a second hand radiator until I'm happy its running nice and clean. In hindsight I'm regretting not pulling off the cooler cover when I had the inlet manifold off - lazy.

View attachment 3179405
not too late, much easier out of the bay. I have pulled 4 x 2h's apart now, 3 had bad pitting in the coolant passages. real pain for the oil cooler to spring a leak then you have to pull the ip, the lines and the manifold in the bay then reinstall, re-spill etc...

the machine shop I used said a good phrase, 'you want a new engine or not?'

anyway you doing great guns

not too late, much easier out of the bay. I have pulled 4 x 2h's apart now, 3 had bad pitting in the coolant passages. real pain for the oil cooler to spring a leak then you have to pull the ip, the lines and the manifold in the bay then reinstall, re-spill etc...

the machine shop I used said a good phrase, 'you want a new engine or not?'

anyway you doing great guns
I'll be interested in the start up vid on your stand.

For me with the virgin 2h rebuild, I am just thinking through the process of building oil pressure before starting. I have a mechanical gauge setup and hoping when I prime the fuel lines with the glows removed (always a good stinky visual) it shall also prime oil at the same time. Then try to see if I get oil pressure with the glows installed but not pre - heated.

Loving your build!, most relevant to me.

Time to work out if this H55F has any obvious issues or not, I've had it sitting in my shed for a couple of years.. the seller had acquired it at some point and didnt know much about it.. could be toast, could be go

1669622883763.png

1669622922419.png

I'll be interested in the start up vid on your stand.

For me with the virgin 2h rebuild, I am just thinking through the process of building oil pressure before starting. I have a mechanical gauge setup and hoping when I prime the fuel lines with the glows removed (always a good stinky visual) it shall also prime oil at the same time. Then try to see if I get oil pressure with the glows installed but not pre - heated.

I've only had to bleed the filter on most 2Hs and the injector lines tend to self bleed.

Pre-filling all of the oil galleries would be nice, I've never done it though.

I've only had to bleed the filter on most 2Hs and the injector lines tend to self bleed.

Pre-filling all of the oil galleries would be nice, I've never done it though.
ohh you must at least once try priming the lines with the glows removed, just for the visual, puff, puff , puff out of each glow hole, in firing sequence, looks really cool. good fun, stand back tho.
also lets you know if if any particular line has a delivery issue straight away.
got that recommendation from rosco on here.

ohh you must at least once try priming the lines with the glows removed, just for the visual, puff, puff , puff out of each glow hole, in firing sequence, looks really cool. good fun, stand back tho.
also lets you know if if any particular line has a delivery issue straight away.
got that recommendation from rosco on here.

I've been meaning to do this with a 2H for a while.. this is a Mercedes, but its pretty much exactly the same pump..

yes! like that but like that but diesel mist whale hole snotters. that looks more like laser beams!

Hahah nice, I'll try it when the chance arises, cheers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom