99 miles to the new sty! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Switch wouldn t typically need to be grounded in order to work. The ground is found on the other end of the harness at the bulb.
Can you check power on each bulb on both circuits high /low beam?

Last edited:
Switch would t typically need to be grounded in order to work. The ground is found on the other end of the harness at the bulb.
Can you check powder on each bulb on both circuits high /low beam?
I just tried to rotate the switch to see if there a dimmer for the dash lights and.... the dash, tail lights, fendor running lights and rear side markers came on! first small viictory👍 (hi/low beam work BTW) This light switchis a bit crusty as its been sitting since 2010. I'll need to check the front side marker bulbs/ground now.

Blinkers: blinker blinks on one side but the other starts to blink then stays solid, might be blinker unit as sometimes it blinks and other times it sticks. Any oideas on this one?

horn: only 1 tab out of three works, I suspect the contacts need to be cleaned...can I do this w/o pulling the wheel?

Last edited:
Ground. Clrean connections. Blinker relay shows good because it blinks on other circuits.
Thanks, this worked! Side markers are good now. yes, it was a ground issue. the nuts on these marker lights are 2 different sizes. Maybe the PO did this when swaping out the fenders.

Not sure whre to check for ground on blinkers, Any idea?

ED4AD7A9-2FFE-4045-8082-21044473B345.JPG

Not sure whre to check for ground on blinkers, Any idea?
Front fender mounted blinkers are grounded thru the hollow threaded rod that holds everything to the fender. Those are probably rusty, and will break if you put a wrench on them.
Smart people will run a seperate ground wire from the socket to good sheetmetal. One wire for each bulb housing.

Front fender mounted blinkers are grounded thru the hollow threaded rod that holds everything to the fender. Those are probably rusty, and will break if you put a wrench on them.
Smart people will run a seperate ground wire from the socket to good sheetmetal. One wire for each bulb housing.
Ok, are you saying use a stud spade type terminal to attach a ground under the nut holding the blinker unit in place?

spade terminal.jpg

Last edited:
That mounting bolt is a little bigger than that spade connector. You might have to solder a connector to the light housing. What usually happens is the whole bolt and nut spin in the plastic housing when trying to remove, soak it good with PB Blaster or your favorite spray.

Just pciked up this 72 pig a few weeks ago here in NorCal. Super excited! Planning on addressing just the mechanicals, get it running and leave the body as is(minimal rust). 82k original miles. Plenty of items to replace however. Many of the clips and hose clamp disinigrate as I try to remove them.
Got it running after replacng the fuel lines/hand cranking it/marvels mystery oil etc. and letting the fuel pump , pump out the old gas. Used a gas can w fresh gas/new filter to get it running but not idling that well. So rather than chase a potential vaccum leak other related carb issues and knowing that I'll end up having to rebuild the carb and remove the tank, I went ahead and removed both and plan on having the carb rebuilt and the tank boiled and sealed for starters. I picked up a MIkes carb rebuild kit but i'd rather have someone else take on that job although looks fairly simple (orig Aisan 2brl) I'd rather have someone do it right the 1st time... the tank vent hoses are usable but the ends where they were removed them are toast so might need to replace a few. Am sure I'll have tons of quetions as I progress into the repairs. Seems there is some really solid advice given on Ih8 forum(s) but finding it may be a challenge. Super stioked on finally finding one of these ol pigs!

View attachment 3177706
Wow, Congrats on the find!!!

Is this your first Pig?

I have a dome light...but I am going to play around and see if I can 3D print a new switch for it. Then I was going to put it up for sale. I will let you know if I am successful.
This sounds fantastic!!!
Think of all the 55 dome light housings that could be saved!
If you get stuck, or need help, @DoubleNickels is your Huckleberry...

Newer year hood, brown front fender or fenders and a wrinkled under hood tag means it was in a collision of some sort. That’s my guess. Still a super rust free looking truck. Post pics and keep digging in. Lots of mechanical refreshing you can do now that it’s starting to come apart. Enjoy it and POST PICS!
I noticed the 2 different colors as well - I bet there is a story here.

If only these Piggies could talk!

Nice observation on the hood tag! I'l post more as I dig in for sure. First step is to get the tank and carb sorted, likely some cooling system leaks too as the hoses are looking pretty brittle;)
Good luck!
Dropping those tanks is not rocket science, but it is not very pleasant either...

I just tried to rotate the switch to see if there a dimmer for the dash lights and.... the dash, tail lights, fendor running lights and rear side markers came on! first small viictory👍 (hi/low beam work BTW) This light switchis a bit crusty as its been sitting since 2010. I'll need to check the front side marker bulbs/ground now.

Blinkers: blinker blinks on one side but the other starts to blink then stays solid, might be blinker unit as sometimes it blinks and other times it sticks. Any oideas on this one?

horn: only 1 tab out of three works, I suspect the contacts need to be cleaned...can I do this w/o pulling the wheel?
Yippee!!!

Yes, you can examine the horn contacts w/o pulling the steering wheel.

Back behind the wheel there are 3 small, long Phillips head screws that hold the center pad on. Unscrew those, remove the center pad and take a look!

That mounting bolt is a little bigger than that spade connector. You might have to solder a connector to the light housing. What usually happens is the whole bolt and nut spin in the plastic housing when trying to remove, soak it good with PB Blaster or your favorite spray.
Ahh got it. I'll spray it down and see if I have any luck. If no go then look in the deep freee my soddering gun if that dosent work. Thanks!

Good luck!
Dropping those tanks is not rocket science, but it is not very pleasant either...
jeez , was a wrestling match getting that tank out. :(What are your thoughts on vent hoses in this shape? I was thinking of cutting the ends and just reattaching. cracked when removing the pinch type hose clamp

vent hose.jpg

Wow, Congrats on the find!!!

Is this your first Pig?
Thanks! Yes, 1st pig. I lost out on several and was prepared to fly to another state a few times but kept telling myself to be patient and this one popped up so, I jumped on it. PO super nice and explained he really wasnt happy about having to sell but was moving out of state, 3 very young kids and 2 other project cars so....I havent been in the old car fix biz in decades so I am in the process of gathering up tools again . Sold and gave away my floor jk and stands years ago as I I had no idea I'd be doing this again. Super excited about working on this pig tho. Cant wait to get her on the road. I had a similar proj with an old chevy that was in storage for 37 years... very similar situation(another original CA car) and very similar motor. Gamdpa's truck w/40k orig miles!

Last edited:
jeez , was a wrestling match getting that tank out. :(What are your thoughts on vent hoses in this shape? I was thinking of cutting the ends and just reattaching. cracked when removing the pinch type hose clamp

View attachment 3179076
Isn't that just fuel hose?

It was for my '74.

I replaced w/ new lines.

Thanks! Yes, 1st pig. I lost out on several and was prepared to fly to another state a few times but kept telling myself to be patient and this oine popped up so, I jumped on it. PO super nice and explained he really wasnt happy about having to sell but was moving out of state, 3 very young kids and 2 other project cars so....I havent been in the old car fix biz in decades so I am in the process of gathering up tools again . Sold and gave away my floor jk and stands years ago as I I had no idea I'd be doing this again. Super excited about working on this pig tho. Cant wait to get her on the road. I had a similar proj with an old chevy that was in storage for 37 years... very similar situation and very similar motor. Gamdpa's truck w/40k orig miles!
That is awesome!

Glad you are back in the game...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom