Which coolant to use for 1999 Lexus LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I am in the process of replacing both coolant tees that wore out at the back of the engine on my 1999 Lexus LX470. They completely eroded/broke off and had coolant leaking everywhere, probably lost at least a half gallon of coolant. Anyways, I am trying to figure out which coolant is best to use once I get the new tees connected to the radiator hoses. I'm planning on draining whatever coolant is remaining in the system and filling it back up with new coolant.

Will this Genuine Toyota 50/50 Prediluted Super Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant be okay? I keep reading to use the toyota red coolant but I'd like to just have something that's already pre-mixed. Is this the same as the toyota red coolant and it's just a pink color because it's already diluted or is there a difference?

Amazon product ASIN B0071N5DM4
Thanks for any input.

Toyota marketing literature, does say we can mix Pink (SLL) in red (LL). But doing so you must stick with reds schedule, of earlier of 30K miles or 2 years flush interval..

Personally I prefer Toyota SS 100% (RED) and mixing with distilled water 50/50. I find coolant systems with RED since day one, are in better condition. I use distilled water to triple flush the system, draining it from both block drains and radiator each time. Then, unless I then blown out system with air. It will have ~1 gallon of clear distilled water remaining in system, so I mix accordingly.

With Toyota SLL premix (PINK). Toyota states do not add any water. So flushing its systems with D. water, is problematic.

Tips:
I replace thermostat, its gasket, radiator cap.
I wash radiator fins, clean and inspect reservoir and its hoses & cap.
I always place clamps back in old hose exact position, using impressions in rubber hose as guide.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply 2001LC.

I wasn't planning on flushing the system, just draining any remaining coolant and then filling back up with the premixed pink, would that be okay?

I guess the other problem is I don't know which type of coolant is in the system currently. I don't know if it was the concentrated red or if it was the pre mixed pink. The coolant reservoir looks pink to me.

I second @2001LC recommendation to go with Toyota LLC Red instead of the SLLC Pink.

You can just install the Tees and top with whatever you like. You'll only need a few cups at most, if it was properly topped beforehand. But why take your time to ask!

Coolant system flush and service is very important. Doubly so if unknown coolant and parts, in system.

I'd also washer rad fins.

You can just install the Tees and top with whatever you like. You'll only need a few cups at most, if it was properly topped beforehand. But why take your time to ask!

Coolant system flush and service is very important. Doubly so if unknown coolant and parts, in system.

I'd also washer rad fins.

Alright, thanks 2001LC.

I'll install the Tees and then probably take it down to the lexus dealership and just have them drain and flush the system and then fill with the correct coolant.

I still wish I knew which coolant is currently in the system, looks like the pink to me but hard to tell.

Do you know if the 1999 LX470 factory radiator is aluminum? I ask because the one I have, the front of it is black (maybe it needs to be cleaned?). From everything I've read if you have an aluminum radiator you want to use the pink coolant instead of the red.

Toyota factory & OEM replacements radiators are Aluminum with plastic top and bottom. We've: Aluminum, case iron, steel, plastic and rubber in the coolant system of the 4.7L 2UZ. Which neither red or pink, will react adversely on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom