Cooper Discoverer Rugged Trek? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in a tire dilema. Trying to decide on an A/T tire and was going back and forth between the Cooper ST Maxx and Yokohama Geolandar X-AT in a 275/70/18 size. Then I came across the new Cooper Rugged Trek. Hadn't seen much on the site about this tire and was wondering if anyone was running them. If you are running them, what are your thoughts?

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 9.56.49 PM.png

of the 3, I vote maxx, but really need to ask yourself your true usage.

Just got my cooper rugged treks installed today in 275/70r18. Looks amazing on my 2005 LC. I live in eastern NC so I didn’t need a snow rated tire. A little more aggressive than an a/t but not loud like an m/t. Rained all day here today and no issues with handling.

are you an on-road driver who dabbles? Might consider the MT Baja Boss SUV (116, 48 lb).
Are you an all surfaces driver who's truck always has some dirt on it? - Kenda Klever RT 121 load.

The Cooper ST Maxx is an awesome tire. I thought the road manners were acceptable, and it's very durable. It's a tire that oil field workers in West Texas use to survive the viscious mesquite thorns.

For most people, it's probably overkill. A "milder" AT tire is going to be better suited for most, but for extended, serious offroad, it's a good buy.

I don't have any opinions on the rest.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I actually ended up going with a set of Falken Wildpeak A/T3Ws that my local tire dealer cut a great deal on. So far I am pretty happy with them. Most of my off pavement time is spent on gravel forest service roads and unmaintained roads. They also did really well in the recent snow we had. The ride and handling is also pretty good. The only down side is now that I'm not running very worn Mud Terrain tires, I can hear every squeak and rattle from my rig.

Just got my cooper rugged treks installed today in 275/70r18. Looks amazing on my 2005 LC. I live in eastern NC so I didn’t need a snow rated tire. A little more aggressive than an a/t but not loud like an m/t. Rained all day here today and no issues with handling.

How are those Rugged Treks doing?

@DGB85

Just rotated them last week. Still running great. After 4000 miles no noticeable difference in road noise or wear. I have been on two or theee long road trips (1000 miles each) and even on the highway there is no annoying roar. Other than light trails I’ve not had a real chance to test them out properly. I’ve not had a reason to air them down yet on trail.

07F8C0C9-9339-4816-B6F7-85DEEE4D7D9D.jpeg

07653938-6C57-4CF4-A018-7E55D28224A5.jpeg

72019707-04B2-4849-929F-87B57A51912B.jpeg

Thanks, I love the look of them. Still a bit torn as they aren't rated as high for snow as some others.

Our LCs could be twins it seems.

Just wondering if you still like those rugged treks? I have 9,000 miles on a set - same size LT rated and at the 8,000 mile mark I’ve started getting a lot more vibration at Hwy speed and hardness I’ve had them rebalanced twice improved somewhat but nothing like the first 5,000 miles they were perfect. Rotated multiple times and played around with tire pressure in the 40 psi range on road to smooth out Hwy driving, but I think I will need to change them if I can get it worked out.

Just wondering if you still like those rugged treks? I have 9,000 miles on a set - same size LT rated and at the 8,000 mile mark I’ve started getting a lot more vibration at Hwy speed and hardness I’ve had them rebalanced twice improved somewhat but nothing like the first 5,000 miles they were perfect. Rotated multiple times and played around with tire pressure in the 40 psi range on road to smooth out Hwy driving, but I think I will need to change them if I can get it worked out.
What is the current tread depth?

16/32

I currently have about 7000 miles on mine and have not noticed any extra noise or vibrations yet. I just came back from a 800 mile round trip which included a lot of washboard forestry roads and some minor technical off-roading and still rode the same on the highway on the way back home. What psi are running?

On the Hwy 37-44 depending on how loaded out. LT275/65R18 If I run below that 37ish number at 70 mph they sound terrible almost flat spotted.

Ive read on tundra forums they had to increase tire pressure for the Rugged Treks in the mid 40's to get smooth ride.

I just spoke to another tire seller who said who he sold alot of them and hasn't had an issue, so I'm going to try a new shop for balancing to give them one more try before swapping out. I have read other reviews on the Cooper site and Tirerack about having difficulty balancing after the first rotation.

Just looking for some real world takes with same vehicle.

On the Hwy 37-44 depending on how loaded out. LT275/65R18 If I run below that 37ish number at 70 mph they sound terrible almost flat spotted.

Ive read on tundra forums they had to increase tire pressure for the Rugged Treks in the mid 40's to get smooth ride.

I just spoke to another tire seller who said who he sold alot of them and hasn't had an issue, so I'm going to try a new shop for balancing to give them one more try before swapping out. I have read other reviews on the Cooper site and Tirerack about having difficulty balancing after the first rotation.

Just looking for some real world takes with same vehicle.
yeah i run mine at 40 psi on the highway and havent had any issues yet. i have only rotated once so far so time will tell. even after airing down to 20 psi on the trail and renflating to 40 no major vibrations. which in my case says alot because my whole front end is in need of refreshing (230k and all bushing are cracked and worn out). i will update as i put more miles on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom