Purpose of Front Vent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

New member here, and been searching for comments on this, but not finding much.

I have a 1978 FJ40 and it has the vent in the front of the windshield that is maybe 12 inches by 3 inches in size. When I got the vehicle, it was full of water, and doesn't seem to drain or have any way for air to get through or flow. I can't see to find a use for it.

What is the purpose of this front vent? I have read some threads where people have a gasket for it and others that have sealed it off citing that it's "useless," but what is it SUPPOSED to be for and how is it supposed to function?

Merc359 (Rowan)

Hi All,

New member here, and been searching for comments on this, but not finding much.

I have a 1978 FJ40 and it has the vent in the front of the windshield that is maybe 12 inches by 3 inches in size. When I got the vehicle, it was full of water, and doesn't seem to drain or have any way for air to get through or flow. I can't see to find a use for it.

What is the purpose of this front vent? I have read some threads where people have a gasket for it and others that have sealed it off citing that it's "useless," but what is it SUPPOSED to be for and how is it supposed to function?

Merc359 (Rowan)
Hello, welcome!

You must have a early 78 because i think that vent ended in 1977??.
Thats called a cowl vent, it lets fresh air inside the Cruiser. Should be a pull switch somewhere on dash, or under dash. Land Cruiser air conditioning. It had two drains that are probably full of dirt and broken down leaves.

New vent seal and drain tubes can be purchased to fix problem. Check out City Racer LLC - https://www.cityracerllc.com/password, You can get everything there.
Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 1.02.51 PM.png

Last edited:
Hello, welcome!

You must have a early 78 because i think that vent ended in 1977.
Thats called a cowl vent, it lets fresh air inside the Cruiser. Land Cruiser air conditioning. It had two drains that are probably full of dirt and broken down leaves.

New vent seal and drain tubes can be purchased to fix problem. Check out City Racer LLC - https://www.cityracerllc.com/password, You can get everything there.View attachment 3177135

76 was the last year for it.
70 or 71 was the last year it actually functioned.

True for a US spec or from any country cold enough to have the factory heater (the last year functional would be 73 actually).
But if the Cruiser originates from a hot country (from South America, Africa...) and delivered without a heater, they kept a functional cowl vent up to the end.

Not true on functioning, my '73 has the vent and it works fine. I did have to replace the seal and clear the drains but works fine once cleaned and resealed. The pull knob was under the dash.

My '84 from Saudi has one, and as noted above the drain tubes were filled with muck. Took 45 minutes, a lot of soapy water and a coat hanger to get it unclogged.

From 1969-1970 Owner's Manual

Attachments

• Pages from 1969-70 Owners Manual.Cowl Ventilator Control.pdf
    675.1 KB · Views: 61
9/73 the start of the 74 model in the US the heater changed to a vent on the top. At that time the vent was welded shut. 9/73-1/75 the drain went thru the cowl like previous years. 1/75 there are drains on either side of heater that when thru the transmission cover on those 40s that came with the weld cowl vent. Markets without a heater that vent still operational. When the went away doesn't still to have a clear date. Seen some 77 FJ40s without a cowl. Never seen a 78 model with the welded vent. Cruisers from other markets did have them but those did not have a heater and the vent worked.

My 76 ( Vin 222816 Aug 76) has the cowl vent. TBD if it is a functioning vent.

My 76 ( Vin 222816 Aug 76) has the cowl vent. TBD if it is a functioning vent.

If it has a factory installed heater it would not have a functioning vent. The handle to operate the vent in under the radio opening. Unfortunately the handle is MIA on my 2/73. But the piece that come down off the dash with a grommet is there. The heater on the 73 model is different than 74 and later. The vent at the top of the 74+ heater would interfere with that piece to support the vent handle.

Not much purpose on my US spec 76, unless Toyota designed it to be a catcher of fir and pine needles. Does this job extremely well, effectively plugging the drain tube and filling the entire vent up when it rains. Must be an ingenious way of storing extra water, if you're thirsty find a straw and have a sip. Thanks Mr. Toyoda!

Last edited:
a 78 shouldnt have that, as they went away in 77....they were functional at one point in the early 70s.
That makes sense with what everyone is saying. The vehicle is out of Columbia. I bought it in Florida, and in the heat, never checked for a heater and it does NOT have a heater. Guess I'm going to have to install one. Thank you for all the input. It has helped immensely.

Hugely appreciate all the feedback! It turns out, yes, mine is a 78 but from Columbia and doesn't have a heater. I bought it in a showroom in Florida and never though to check for the presence of a heater (stupid). So that's what is going on here.

Reactions: flx
Does anyone still offer the vent block off plates

The block-off plate isn't a nice product. There is nothing to form a solid weather seal, so it is just for aftermarket-looks.

I clean mine about four times a year. Last time I was so lazy I did it with a screwdriver and toothbrush because I wasn't about to vacuum. I could see if you have a rust issue here, but, since the tubes were replaced with heater hose and hose clamps, the tub floor, cowl, and transmission hump are dry.

This is one of those architectural body elements that really separates the 40/45 style from almost every other vehicle on the road.

I do have a vent, but have not yet dismantled it to see how it operates, if it does
7D241A0F-5643-46BE-AA79-011A9B25145F.jpeg

95744D37-C75F-4C65-A60B-74CE67D22BB5.jpeg

It’s for looks only, welded shut with 4 tack welds.One vent was clear, the other blocked completely took a while to clear it.
D933D5DA-75E7-4CB7-944F-F913656A3C21.jpeg

I washed my truck the other day and my stereo stopped working. I could feel some dampness on top of the stereo. I might need some new seals on my vent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom