Subwoofer install in the tailgate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
No questions here. I’ve read a few threads here with lots of opinions. I’m gonna be cutting into my tailgate tomorrow morning to get it installed.

I ordered a 10” shallow mount Kenwood subwoofer and a Kenwood amp to push it. The reason I’m not installing it in the factory location because I have rear AC, and the system takes up almost all the space behind that panel. The new amp, while small won’t even fit in the location. I ended up installing the amp under the front passenger seat.

I thought about installing the sub under the driver’s seat, but I have the refrigerator center console, and it looks like that system is under the driver’s seat.

Basically, I’m really limited on options, and I don’t want to build a box that is going to take up more space so I’m left with the tailgate. I’m going to fill the rest of the tailgate space with spray foam. I’ll post pics once I make the cut and get started. Happy Thanksgiving!

No questions here. I’ve read a few threads here with lots of opinions. I’m gonna be cutting into my tailgate tomorrow morning to get it installed.

I ordered a 10” shallow mount Kenwood subwoofer and a Kenwood amp to push it. The reason I’m not installing it in the factory location because I have rear AC, and the system takes up almost all the space behind that panel. The new amp, while small won’t even fit in the location. I ended up installing the amp under the front passenger seat.

I thought about installing the sub under the driver’s seat, but I have the refrigerator center console, and it looks like that system is under the driver’s seat.

Basically, I’m really limited on options, and I don’t want to build a box that is going to take up more space so I’m left with the tailgate. I’m going to fill the rest of the tailgate space with spray foam. I’ll post pics once I make the cut and get started. Happy Thanksgiving!
Looking forward to seeing the pics!

Being that the tailgate is also a vital aspect to the hatch, i imagine a subwoofer in the tailgate would cause a lot of rattles. It is very rattle prone. If you fill it with spray foam the linkage will get jammed that opens the tailgate. Any repairs that have to be done to the tailgate wiring will also be very difficult i would think.

I was getting ready to poo on this idea but after a few Thanksgiving mimosas I look forward to the write up. You have a lot of used space already. You already know but ————closed cell foam for moisture.

Being that the tailgate is also a vital aspect to the hatch, i imagine a subwoofer in the tailgate would cause a lot of rattles. It is very rattle prone. If you fill it with spray foam the linkage will get jammed that opens the tailgate. Any repairs that have to be done to the tailgate wiring will also be very difficult i would think.
Spray foam should help alleviate any rattle. Great points about the linkage and wiring. I’m going to take that advice. I’m going to build a protective shield around the linkage, and I’ll re-run the electrical wiring through some conduit for potential future issues.

I was getting ready to poo on this idea but after a few Thanksgiving mimosas I look forward to the write up. You have a lot of used space already. You already know but ————closed cell foam for moisture.
Yeah. It’s not my ideal spot at all. Definitely closed cell foam.

Well, after I started removing stuff to run my speaker wire, I noticed that, with a little cutting, I should have some room behind the panel on the opposite side. I had to remove the plastic piece that holds the tool kit, and I’ll have to cut into some metal, but I think this is a much better option than the tailgate.

47656915-4449-4897-B642-B92451D8EE18.jpeg

Put some dyna mat on the inside of the fender and maybe on the back of the plastic trim and that new spot should be good. If you do add foam be sure to leave enough air space around the back of the sub for it to work properly. Too much or not enough will impact performance. Required amount should be printed on the box.

Alrighty. I got her installed. I’ll be going back and putting dynamat all over every panel in the vehicle, but here’s pics of the finished product so ya’ll can see what it looks like. The sub came with a template for the hole size and where to drill from screws. First, I marked and cut the hole in the panel.

Next, I put the panel in place to see what metal needed to be cut. There were some small places that I got with a jigsaw.

To create a mounting bracket, I created a marvel of engineering. I used an old steel baking sheet (11x17) and cut a hole in it. I had to trim some edges for it to fit, but it’s sturdy.

Finally, last pictures with the sub installed.

CEAB2F26-7C80-477A-917B-6F429E200ABF.jpeg

C812E3C2-2A56-44C5-B759-704CB25C69A4.jpeg

D493E7B4-9D88-4B0C-B3F5-CA3B36E63566.jpeg

EDA4ABA4-406D-486C-BE38-323327AF9BE0.jpeg

292B2C08-4049-4682-A980-4E2FED2C73B1.jpeg

Mount large shaky thing to jiggly interior thing...

This is probably the way folks should go:

Easy to disconnect and sell when you inevitably realize down the road that subs are for the birds. Ask me how I know hahaha.

Mount large shaky thing to jiggly interior thing...

This is probably the way folks should go:

Easy to disconnect and sell when you inevitably realize down the road that subs are for the birds. Ask me how I know hahaha.
Piqued my interest, how are subs for the birds?

I don't know why nobody else is utilizing the ceiling to mount a sub.

I built a box that attached to the mounting locations for the rearmost grab handles and I have been running a low profile 14" kicker sub in this location for 4 or 5 years now with zero issues.

It doesn't really take up any cargo room and the only modification it requires is removing the handles......

The only downside is the loss of headroom for those building storage and sleeping systems in the back.

It is such a great location from the audio point of view. No rattles or vibes and it is centered nicely in the back.

20200611_132853.jpg

I don't want to hear saftey comments. This photo is from my previous rig. I totalled the rig in a bad wreck. Bad enough to bend the frame and jam the passenger side doors shut along with sheering body mounts.

The sub didn't budge a mm.

A 10" or 8" would use a much smaller box and could probably double as a small storage area.

Yeah. That fiberglass looks great. Unfortunately, I would have had to remove my rear AC system to make that work.

Edit: with some more time, I could maybe find a way to make it work on the side I did my install. Be a bit of a pain with the gas being on ver there though.

Exactly how I want to do mine, looks great! Any pointers on doing the fiberglass?
The most important thing is not to rush and do everything carefully.

The first step is a cardboard base, then gluing with painter's tape.

501A1B7A-3740-4868-BC0C-B5B9B5F66A37.jpeg

56417CF9-E78D-4910-8567-E7EE3D8EF05B.jpeg

Next, dial several layers of glass mat, at least five.
8BDBFB83-19D1-40F2-A66F-F15E38D67B10.jpeg

To give rigidity, add vibration insulation between layers.
B18CC7AD-F1BF-46C2-A2F1-FE51F1916909.jpeg

The ring is installed and covered with a soft cloth.
EC24590F-FF56-44DD-BF40-4BD8EAE5A85D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom