DIY Tundra Brakes (BBK) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Half-drilled hole

IMG_6953.JPG

Finished, chamfered.

IMG_6956.JPG

Comparison of the Tundra/2008-2015 200 caliper bolts and 2016+.. significantly more beef. I truly believe the tundra parts are more than good enough, but I have to wonder why toyota felt this extra beef necessary on their flagship off-roader.

IMG_6957.JPG

Still plenty of meat left in the knuckle.

IMG_6958.JPG

A little off-topic, but this is my go-to method for messing with CV nuts. Ours are TIGHT.

IMG_6961.JPG

I believe teckis outlined how the original backing plate needs to be modified to accommodate the larger rotors. With the big sale recently the backing plates came down under $70 each so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. There is a bit more venting and IMO they allow air to move around the rotor better. Plus, apparently I managed to get my brakes so hot in the mountains I scorched the paint on my existing ones..

Comparison pics. And one of most of the other parts needed for a backing plate swap. I'll detail that process more in a dedicated thread I plan to supplement this already very good one.

Oh and while I was at it I ordered two extra caliper bolts to go in the roadtrip tool bag, in case I lose one on the road. Not that I can imagine how.. 133ft-lbf is pretty damn tight. Also in this bolt collection is a spare rear lower shock mount bolt.. I've heard of a couple people losing these and it being a royal pain in the ass.

IMG_6966.JPG

IMG_6967.JPG

IMG_6968.jpg

Last edited:
Any questions let me know. With the recent sale I got my calipers for $107 each and rotors for $45 each. All-in I'm around $500, and frankly that is an absolute steal given how much better the brakes already feel. Non-sale prices at the discount sites will be closer to $700 and I'd still gladly pay that. And that's if you do backing plates.. IMO worth the cost, but many won't bother and they'll be just fine.

OH.. almost forgot two of the money shots. Maybe 1/4" clearance between the caliper and wheel barrel of a Rock Warrior.. just as it should be.

IMG_6980.JPG

IMG_6979.JPG

Rocks can get the F out of the way.. brakes should fill wheels, as a matter of principle.

Drilled like butta! Good stuff!

Any questions let me know. With the recent sale I got my calipers for $107 each and rotors for $45 each. All-in I'm around $500, and frankly that is an absolute steal given how much better the brakes already feel. Non-sale prices at the discount sites will be closer to $700 and I'd still gladly pay that. And that's if you do backing plates.. IMO worth the cost, but many won't bother and they'll be just fine.
You may have mentioned this already but where did you buy these parts from?

You may have mentioned this already but where did you buy these parts from?
Southwest states regional Toyota dealers did a huge sale earlier this year that ended up being a total s*** show. I was fortunate enough to get in early so my stuff only took two months to show up from Serra Toyota of Decatur

Last edited:
I am halfway through this install and the caliper bolts off my 2009 LX570 are too small in diameter for the Tundra calipers I bought (which are off a 2017 Tundra).

What in the world. I’m assuming that if I go buy the Tundra caliper bolts, I won’t be able to fit them through the holes on the hub to mount the caliper.

Damn it.

Half-drilled hole

View attachment 3012466

Finished, chamfered.

View attachment 3012467

Comparison of the Tundra/2008-2015 200 caliper bolts and 2016+.. significantly more beef. I truly believe the tundra parts are more than good enough, but I have to wonder why toyota felt this extra beef necessary on their flagship off-roader.

View attachment 3012469

Still plenty of meat left in the knuckle.

View attachment 3012470

A little off-topic, but this is my go-to method for messing with CV nuts. Ours are TIGHT.

View attachment 3012471
Looks like I need those big bolts. And I need to ream out those holes.

I am halfway through this install and the caliper bolts off my 2009 LX570 are too small in diameter for the Tundra calipers I bought (which are off a 2017 Tundra).

What in the world. I’m assuming that if I go buy the Tundra caliper bolts, I won’t be able to fit them through the holes on the hub to mount the caliper.

Damn it.
I just finished the 2016+ upgrade. Drilling out the knuckle to 9/16 to fit the new hardware was not a much of an issue.

I just finished the 2016+ upgrade. Drilling out the knuckle to 9/16 to fit the new hardware was not a much of an issue.
9/16. I’m frantically scrambling to find that number. Running out of daylight. Need to go buy those bolts, too. Thank you!!

Damn it.

Dang, so looks like the Tundra calipers went up in bolt size too in the later model years? Wonder what the breakpoint is?

Dang, so looks like the Tundra calipers went up in bolt size too in the later model years? Wonder what the breakpoint is?
Stand by

Yep, it appears 2017 Tundra got a larger front caliper bolt, part number 90105-A0336 and the diagrams show the size as *14-1.5PX35-30.5

Note that it is a different part number than the 2016+ 200-series caliper bolt, which is 90105-14198 but my spares on the shelf measure out the same as the above, so they appear to be interchangeable.

2009 tundra RH caliper 47730-0C030

Looking up a 2015 tundra 3UR I see the following note:

47730-0C030 (08/2013 - 07/2015)
47730-0C040 (08/2015 - 07/2017)

I checked 2018 and it had the later number too.

So it seems the split is mid-2015 MY.

Last edited:
Reaming out these holes is taking forever. I am trying to make it work with what the local hardware stores have on hand. I got through with a 1/2” step bit just fine. I have a larger step bit that steps up to 7/8. Bought a big Milwaukee 9/16 bit that is doing absolutely nothing for me. Says it’s for metal.

My neighbor is currently trying to grind down my 7/8” step bit.

Sunset was 20mpg ago. This is just annoying. I should have waited till after thanksgiving as we have company coming tomorrow, but it was 60°F out today. Good conditions for working on brakes!

Reaming out these holes is taking forever. I am trying to make it work with what the local hardware stores have on hand. I got through with a 1/2” step bit just fine. I have a larger step bit that steps up to 7/8. Bought a big Milwaukee 9/16 bit that is doing absolutely nothing for me. Says it’s for metal.

My neighbor is currently trying to grind down my 7/8” step bit.

Sunset was 20mpg ago. This is just annoying. I should have waited till after thanksgiving as we have company coming tomorrow, but it was 60°F out today. Good conditions for working on brakes!
I think that 7/8 bit ground down should work well.

I think that 7/8 bit ground down should work well.
I wish. His eyesight isn’t great and he kinda botched it. It won’t cut. It’s ok. I’m thankful he tried to help. He’s a great neighbor.

I ordered a good step bit and reamer from Amazon. Will get back to this on Saturday.

Everything else is ready for me to just mount up the calipers, bleed the brakes, and out the wheels back on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom