Cranks a while before firing - 88FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have noticed that my truck cranks for a bit before firing. It cranks strong, ultimately fires, and then runs well. I looked through the FSM but did not find anything related to delayed firing. Any ideas would be appreciated. This is a 1988 FJ62 with electronic fuel injection and a 3FE engine.

1669170446217.png

Does this FSM page help?

Does it do it when cold or sits for a while or it does it every time? Check fuel pressure and volume also cold start injector.

I’ve slowly been working thru a similar issue. Mine always starts, just not easily. Here’s what I’ve done since getting the vehicle last year and it seems to be improving things:
New fuel filter
New fuel pressure regulator
New Pcv valve
My starter died, so new reman’d denso starter
Pulled and cleaned cold start injector
The wire from ignition coil was not seated firmly either.
I’m pretty aggressive with adding Techron to fuel regularly as well.
It now consistently starts after a a 4 or 5 count on the starter on the first try, or immediately on a second try. It does still stumble start for a second if it catches on the first try. —90 3fe

I’ve slowly been working thru a similar issue. Mine always starts, just not easily. Here’s what I’ve done since getting the vehicle last year and it seems to be improving things:
New fuel filter
New fuel pressure regulator
New Pcv valve
My starter died, so new reman’d denso starter
Pulled and cleaned cold start injector
The wire from ignition coil was not seated firmly either.
I’m pretty aggressive with adding Techron to fuel regularly as well.
It now consistently starts after a a 4 or 5 count on the starter on the first try, or immediately on a second try. It does still stumble start for a second if it catches on the first try. —90 3fe
Mine is about at that same 4-5 count with the occasional stumble. I've got a list of things to check now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom