Windshield Sealing - No More Leaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For those curios about how and possibly what to use to seal their windshield, I just had to seal mine before the rains start falling here in the NW. I got my windshield replaced a few years ago and the installer claimed you "don't need sealer if you install it correctly." Well, apparently he didn't install it correctly because when it rains I can watch water get under the gasket/glass then pool and drip on the other side... I used butyl product called DekaSeal that is sold on Ebay, awesome stuff so far and would definitely use it again. Would also recommend a quality caulking gun, taping the tube to the gun, or potentially one of those fancy electric caulking guns.

I kept getting some water in after heavy rains and did this. I kept the tip very small and jammed it under the gasket and went all the way around like you did. I cleaned up excess with general purpose adhesive cleaner by 3M....you can buy it in a spray can at an auto parts store. No more rain after. Also I used 3M 8609 windshield adhesive. I worked for 3M years ago and just knew the quality but there are other options.

@John Staton Glad to hear the process worked for you! Same, kept the tip really small since you don't need/want much sealer between the gasket and the glass/body.

Not rain yet around Seattle, which isn't very Seattle-like. No rain on the horizon yet either so I may need to spray the windshield down with the hose to get a proper test in.

we dont get rains here in Houston, we get floods. When I moved here I was surprised that our average rainfall was higher than Seattle. The difference is we get really heavy rains, verses rains all the time. I was getting wet on my drivers side and did not want to have to take the WS out. This totally worked and solved my problem. If that was where you leak was that should solve it.

If you have wiring running up your A pillar "underneath" your headliner to an aftermarket powered mirror, taking a turn can let water that's coming in through the A pillar travel along the wire and drip from the mirror as well, so if you're seeing water dripping from your mirror, this is another possible cause.

The glass guy who did your windshield was 100% WRONG. Sealing the gasket in both the glass and the body channels is what amounts to a correct installation, per the FSM. I had mine done last year by the best local guy to do gasket based windshields with 35+ years in the industry, and all my leaks coming from the windshield have been gone since. Just need to do the gutter reseal job now to correct the water that's traveling along the mirror wires and replace any missing interior body drain plugs.

@Spook50 did you end up getting a good seal using the OEM gasket and chrome lock strip?
The gasket used was a non-lockstrip unit, though I can't remember if it was an OEM gasket or not. I've had no issues with water ingress from it that I can see; just the drip from my rear view mirror during turns in rainy weather, which I think comes from failed (factory) gutter sealant in my A pillar allowing water to get in through there and flow along the wiring for my mirror.

Hi, I just resealed two of our fj62 gutters.If you have not done this I highly recommend it. It was time consuming but the results were great and stopped water coming in from above the grab handle and getting to the floor or worse my wife’s good clothes!

Hi, I just resealed two of our fj62 gutters.If you have not done this I highly recommend it. It was time consuming but the results were great and stopped water coming in from above the grab handle and getting to the floor or worse my wife’s good clothes!
It's definitely on the list. Need to do that first before I invest in new carpet and do the stereo system too.

Figured I'd do a update since we have finally had some rain, and some early snow in the NW. Long story short, the windshield sealing works and I no longer have leaks. Cheers to a dry interior!

Long story... Generally every fall and through winter I have to keep a hanging damp-rid pack in my cruiser as soon as the rain starts to keep moisture down. It was bad enough that on warm days followed by cold mornings I would have to wipe down all the interior windows to get the moisture off of them. The DampRid packs generally start showing the collection of water within a day or two and only last about 6 to 8 weeks at most. This fall, I've had a damprid in the cruiser for a month and it has collected very little water. Most of the water it has collected is probably from a single rainy day when we were getting in & out and left some wet clothes in the car. At the current rate of water collection, I'd bet the single DampRid will last the entire winter. Couldn't be happier with the results of the windshield sealing
1670010184700.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom