New Member Introduction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

Thank you for allowing me to join this great community of gear heads.

A little about myself and then about my new to me BJ40. I am an active duty service member that is currently serving 3 years overseas with my family. To come here I had to leave my first car restoration back at home in Colorado (1951 GMC 100 Pickup Resto-Mod). As many of you can probably relate to, I was unable to just sit and not have a project vehicle to work on and repair so I started the search for a new project. I was lucky enough to find my new project and I couldn't be happier with what it is allowing/forcing me to learn and do.

I purchased a 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser BJ40 . This is my first experience with owning a diesel engine and also this one is unique in that it is a 24 volt system that I also have never worked on. This rig also came with part of the stock PTO winch. I really hope to find the missing parts (Gear box and drive shaft) so that I can use this unique item in the future instead of getting a more modern electric winch. There are many things I hope to repair and improve on this vehicle to make it my own and safe for my family (wife and three kids) to go offroad with it. I am a huge believer in doing everything myself if at all possible so this project has forced me to purchase and learn to use a tubing bender for a roll cage and other body armor. I am positive that I will be be requesting lots of help in the future as I continue to try to fix/update this project and I thank all of you in advance for your help.

Ty

We need photos!!! And welcome! :flipoff2:
Thank you everyone.

So these pictures are of it the day I bought it. The previous owner had just moved the axles over the leaf springs and left the shocks off. He also modified the transmission cross member so that the driveshafts would not hit them because of the steep angle.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...518904&th=184a10f8977fa978&view=att&disp=safe

IMG_6558.jpg IMG_6560.jpg IMG_6559.jpg IMG_6563.jpg IMG_6562.jpg
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui...518904&th=184a10f8977fa978&view=att&disp=safe

After buying it and feeling like I would die immediately if I didnt fix the suspension, I put the axle back on top of the leaf springs, put shocks back on it and put the steering stabilizer back on. I then put new 2 inch lift leaf springs on it and have been working on building the front bumper/stinger/nose guard and the roll cage. As you can see the pictures of the bumper are prior to it being cleaned up and painted, but you get the idea. Thanks again for the support.

Ty
4A148224-0228-4BA6-939B-659B448FD546.JPG
69082220938__CA4C908C-CB8A-4FD6-ACBA-2BCF7031EE5D.jpg
69082223710__D43A37F3-2E16-4F4C-AFA2-163499CB46DF(1).jpg

Welcome from a fellow former service member, and congrats on your new BJ! It looks so much better since you lowered it back down where it belongs. What country did it come from?

Random question for you gear heads. I think the top speed of my BJ40 is 50mph. Doesn't that seem a little crazy? Am I missing something because I see lots of people talking about going 60-70 mph on the highways.

Random question for you gear heads. I think the top speed of my BJ40 is 50mph. Doesn't that seem a little crazy? Am I missing something because I see lots of people talking about going 60-70 mph on the highways.
I've done 70 in mine with the rubber overdrive (33's) and I tell you, not a fan. I just park it in the slow lane and let people fly by me all stressed and giving me the stink eye. They're just jealous because my car is cooler than theirs! Oh and I did put this sticker on too:

1669155605908.png

I've done 70 in mine with the rubber overdrive (33's) and I tell you, not a fan. I just park it in the slow lane and let people fly by me all stressed and giving me the stink eye. They're just jealous because my car is cooler than theirs! Oh and I did put this sticker on too:

View attachment 3175437

Thanks for the reply. I have "rubber overdrive" LOL (33s) also and I wonder if the FJ40 has different gear ratios / speed capabilities than the diesel BJ40. Yeah I understand the slow lane better now than ever before. My other restoration is fast but this one is relaxing lol. I can really take in the experience of the drive and I truly love that.

Hi Wild Horse Fab and welcome! :flipoff2:

I assume you've got the original B engine. Theoritically you should reach 120 km/h (75 miles) in top gear, although the B engine seems to cruise more hapilly at around the 100 mark (60 miles), in both cases with the stock tyre size of 7.50X16 (235/85R16 or 31.8 inch).
Gear ratios can be the same for the H41 4spd gear box, but the final drive (axle) ratios can differ: 4.11:1 for the BJ40 and 3.70:1 for the FJ40.

Last edited:
Hi Wild Horse Fab and welcome! :flipoff2:

I assume you've got the original B engine. Theoritically you should reach 120 km/h (75 miles) in top gear, although the B engine seems to cruise more hapilly at around the 100 mark (60 miles), in both cases with the stock tyre size of 7.50X16 (235/85R16 or 31.8 inch).
Gear ratios can be the same for the H41 4spd gear box, but the final drive (axle) ratios can differ: 4.11:1 for the BJ40 and 3.70:1 for the FJ40.

Thank you for the information. It does have the original B 3.0 engine, 4 speed transmission, and 33x10.5 R15 tires. 120 Km/h seems so crazy but im sure your probably right lol. I am guessing that I am subconciously babying it because:

1. the roads here in my area are scary even in a modern day care with good suspension
2. my first diesel vehicle and i am worried about over-revving the engine because all i really know is that they have fewer revs than a gas engine
3. there is an exhaust leak right next to the manifold that makes it loud and I feel like it must be topped out because its so loud.

Thanks again for all the information and even at my slow and steady pace of 80 Km/h, I find myself smiling and enjoying the drive.

Ty

Wild Horse Fab said:​

"120 Km/h seems so crazy but im sure your probably right lol."
As I said, just theoritically, which means according to the specialized press testing the vehicle back in 1978...
No doubt, at 80-100 km/h the Cruiser (and you) will be more happy. Enjoy your new baby!

Are you in Italy now? If yes what about to take the ferry to Greece?

"120 Km/h seems so crazy but im sure your probably right lol."
As I said, just theoritically, which means according to the specialized press testing the vehicle back in 1978...
No doubt, at 80-100 km/h the Cruiser (and you) will be more happy. Enjoy your new baby!

Are you in Italy now? If yes what about to take the ferry to Greece?

I am in Italy right now. Sicily for at least two more years actually. What part of Greece are you in?

Welcome to the sickness, nice ride. 🍺

"I am in Italy right now. Sicily for at least two more years actually. What part of Greece are you in?"

That is great!
If you take the ferry at the port of Bari you reach Patras after a 15 hours journey (an Australian mate did it with his Troopie last week).
There I can get you...

Last edited:
Nice rig !, Congrats!,
Thank you fòr bringing it back to "normal"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom