Selectable diff locker debate (aftermarket). (14 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@jonheld - for lowering the air pressure: would you happen to have info or a part number for a 70psi pressure switch?
I used a regulator between the compressor tank and the air solenoid manifold, but I had a York OBA setup in that truck. I have the same OBA system in my LX450, but I have factory lockers. Personally, I think ARBs are the way to go. I still don't understand why folks pay a premium for factory lockers. They're annoying.

I've replaced 4. But there was a bad batch of seals from 2016-2020ish that ARB basically acknowledged. The new seals I think are viton and fine.
Well there you go, 2016 to 2020 had a bad batch of seals... wait that batch lasted for 4 years???:hmm:

Amazon product ASIN B07XYHSDZ1
This is the one I am using on my single motor ARB compressor. 2+ years so far & no issues.
According to the regulator I have on the Locker Manifold my ARBs don't shuttle until 95-100 PSI. I set my OBA up at 120 ON/150 OFF and a 175 blow off valve.
Where I'm going with this is, if you limit your system to 70-100 psi, your ARBs may not reliably cycle.

image of Locker Manifold: installed
Uabh3IMl.jpg

on the bench, inlet is fitting with GREEN ring:

nx5bvdul.jpg

Last edited:
According to the regulator I have on the Locker Manifold my ARBs don't shuttle until 95-100 PSI. I set my OBA up at 120 ON/150 OFF and a 175 blow off valve.
Where I'm going with this is, if you limit your system to 70-100 psi, your ARBs may not reliably cycle.
That has not been my experience with ARBs. I ran 68-70 psi for many years, and there was never an issue. If you drop below that, it became intermittent.

Maybe they'll wear in, I'll have to pay attention to that. No sense hitting an o-ring with more pressure than it needs.

Maybe they'll wear in, I'll have to pay attention to that. No sense hitting an o-ring with more pressure than it needs.
Yep, that’s my thinking. To change those bad seals means you will have to open the diff.

That has not been my experience with ARBs. I ran 68-70 psi for many years, and there was never an issue. If you drop below that, it became intermittent.
I prefer higher pressure so I can crash lock them with impunity

Steve did you tear it down yet ?
Inquiring minds want to know what actually broken in there.
Pictures or it didn't happen ;)

Its been a rough past year for Steve's rig. Snapped rear axle, drive flange, DS, crack front control arm bracket, now front pinion?
You forgot the busted front drive shaft flange 😝

Steve did you tear it down yet ?
Inquiring minds want to know what actually broken in there.
Pictures or it didn't happen ;)
No sir not yet. I’m sure I’ll put time into it over my next four days off beginning Friday. I did some interesting reading yesterday in some older threads and also newer about building a front 9.5 using the rear housing from a 60. But that’s another thread because I would want to hijack this one.

Harrop says in this video.... "A misconception that the locker will not stay engaged when changing from forward to reverse movement....."

"However the reality is that while there is load on the differential in extreme conditions the axles will in fact remain completely locked."

By this wording, I guess it leaves open the possibility that if you release the brake or throttle or do something for it to become unloaded when shifting or changing gears or rolling backwards while in gear, then the diff can/will unlock?

Harrop says in this video.... "A misconception that the locker will not stay engaged when changing from forward to reverse movement....."

"However the reality is that while there is load on the differential in extreme conditions the axles will in fact remain completely locked."

By this wording, I guess it leaves open the possibility that if you release the brake or throttle or do something for it to become unloaded when shifting or changing gears or rolling backwards while in gear, then the diff can/will unlock?

Yes

No sir not yet. I’m sure I’ll put time into it over my next four days off beginning Friday. I did some interesting reading yesterday in some older threads and also newer about building a front 9.5 using the rear housing from a 60. But that’s another thread because I would want to hijack this one.
You pay to play, indeed a vicious never ending cycle.. =)

To keep it all Toyota use a semi float rear axle from a 91-92 and weld on the knuckle balls from a standard 80 front axle like @raisinghell2 did on the front axle of his all Toyota DNA Buggy

Yeah, posted that video earlier. Madmatt does a good video where he goes into more detail on this and his experiences with it:

He also talks a lot about an issue he had with a failure case, which like the ARB seals issue above Harrop have subsequently replied to, and put down as a known issue with a bad batch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom