Carpet alternatives? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off…. I had no idea where to put this. This seemed like the most relevant place.

So when I bought my 96 LX, the previous owner had stripped the carpet and padding due to (unbeknownst to him) a drain plug having fallen out and mud/water getting slung up under it. He didn’t do too great of a job with cleaning things up. Mainly the sound dampening material was left… which makes sense. It’s ON there!

While I definitely appreciate the convenience of having a non-carpeted rig, the sound dampener is starting to get gummy. I was considering doing something like a rubber epoxy but swiftly smacked myself in the head, realizing that this would make future pull cable/electrical repair impossible.

Has anyone faced this and come up with a solution? My last lightbulb was to try and find a company that does modular-like molded full truck mat… like one that connects together but you could disconnect each section for cleaning or whatever. Of course, I can’t seem to find anything like this. Seems like a pipe-dream, but I also know how much ingenuity and determination gear-heads have once an idea is conceived.

First off…. I had no idea where to put this. This seemed like the most relevant place.

So when I bought my 96 LX, the previous owner had stripped the carpet and padding due to (unbeknownst to him) a drain plug having fallen out and mud/water getting slung up under it. He didn’t do too great of a job with cleaning things up. Mainly the sound dampening material was left… which makes sense. It’s ON there!

While I definitely appreciate the convenience of having a non-carpeted rig, the sound dampener is starting to get gummy. I was considering doing something like a rubber epoxy but swiftly smacked myself in the head, realizing that this would make future pull cable/electrical repair impossible.

Has anyone faced this and come up with a solution? My last lightbulb was to try and find a company that does modular-like molded full truck mat… like one that connects together but you could disconnect each section for cleaning or whatever. Of course, I can’t seem to find anything like this. Seems like a pipe-dream, but I also know how much ingenuity and determination gear-heads have once an idea is conceived.
Use dry ice to make the coating hard, then use a hammer to whack it and break it up to get it out. Then do a complete sound-proofing coating on it. Go to the sound proofing threads and see what folks have done.

There is at least one person that ordered a complete vinyl flooring (instead of carpet) from somewhere. You'll have to search Vinyl mat or something along that line here. I think it came out of AUS.

I have this in my 80 and I love it. It costs as much to ship it as the product costs but it’s worth it in my opinion.

Use dry ice to make the coating hard, then use a hammer to whack it and break it up to get it out. Then do a complete sound-proofing coating on it. Go to the sound proofing threads and see what folks have done.

There is at least one person that ordered a complete vinyl flooring (instead of carpet) from somewhere. You'll have to search Vinyl mat or something along that line here. I think it came out of AUS.

A little more info. You don’t have to smack it with a hammer. Make a slurry with the dry ice using rubbing alcohol. You want a “slush” consistency. Put it on the old sound deadening, the OEM stuff. It will sound like you are cooking popcorn. Just like Jiffypop, it’s done when it stops popping. Now it just falls off, don’t even need to scrape it.

An alternative to carpet is a vinyl floor. I do believe the base models in Aus and other regions came with the vinyl floor. You can buy aftermarket vinyl floor kits online but I have heard mixed opinions on them. I had a 60-series with vinyl floor from Specter Off road, I liked it.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom