Wanted NEED FJ55 Fuel Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought a 74' FJ55 and drove it just over 500 miles to my house without much of an issue. I noticed that after I ran out of fuel..... twice... that I could only get around 13 gallons in it. I removed the tank last night to check it out and found the tank to be smashed on the top. Yes, the top of the tank has a major dent. Annnddd when it made it to the ground finally it started pouring from the seams. Ohhh, and the seams started shredding from the rust.

So, long story long, I NEED a tank....

Introduce yourself in the 55 forum, be prepared to post some pics of your pig, and someone in there is bound to have something.

im reasonably sure I have one here in Cali, but shipping would be over $100. Shipping companies don’t even want to take used tanks, but if I have the ‘74 I’m thinking of, it’s been on the shelf since before the turn of the century! :lol:

Introduce yourself in the 55 forum, be prepared to post some pics of your pig, and someone in there is bound to have something.

im reasonably sure I have one here in Cali, but shipping would be over $100. Shipping companies don’t even want to take used tanks, but if I have the ‘74 I’m thinking of, it’s been on the shelf since before the turn of the century! :lol:
I went ahead and posted on the Iron Pig Preservation Society, thanks for the tip!

Just bought a 74' FJ55 and drove it just over 500 miles to my house without much of an issue. I noticed that after I ran out of fuel..... twice... that I could only get around 13 gallons in it. I removed the tank last night to check it out and found the tank to be smashed on the top. Yes, the top of the tank has a major dent. Annnddd when it made it to the ground finally it started pouring from the seams. Ohhh, and the seams started shredding from the rust.

So, long story long, I NEED a tank....

the reason you RAN out of Gas in your 1974 FJ55 .......

is because this ain;t working so well anymore , due to the impact study your PO had with it

so , its your LUCKY night here ON MUD ..... :idea:

- ill give you a 15% off Digital Timer infused Coupon that expires in 24 Hours on the dial .............

@ 11:25 PM EST

1668745763489.png

the reason you RAN out of Gas in your 1974 FJ55 .......

is because this ain;t working so well anymore , due to the impact study your PO had with it

so , its your LUCKY night here ON MUD ..... :idea:

- ill give you a 15% off Digital Timer infused Coupon that expires in 24 Hours on the dial .............

@ 11:25 PM EST

View attachment 3171269

I actually did look at those and that is some of the problem for sure. However, I removed the tank and found the top had been smashed which was limiting how much it would take. I could only fill it up to around 13 gallons. When I got the tank to the ground the fuel started pouring from the seams.

20221117_214945.jpg

20221117_214929.jpg

My guess is you have a venting issue.
Interesting theory.🤔 I have never seen or heard of implosion with a factory steel tank. But it certainly doesn’t rule out the possibility.
Now if the metal were in a state where implosion was possible, it seems equally plausible that you could cap all the ports in the tank except one, and blast some air into the tank to see if it pops back out.

But it does make more sense than an external force in that location.😉

Last edited:
Interesting theory.🤔 I have never seen or heard of implosion with a factory steel tank. But it certainly doesn’t rule out the possibility.
Now if the metal were in a state where implosion was possible, it seems equally plausible that you could cap all the pros in the tank except one, and blast some air into the tank to see if it pops back out.

But it does make more sense than an external force in that location.😉

- i have seen Mark , a FJ45L-P 2F Pickup that had a NON-OEM / NON-VENTING gas cap ........

- the NEW KYOSAN i mailed my client , a 2 ports fuel pump , actually crushed the fuel tank inward like a old BEER CAN !

- it then began to leak too ....

- it all came down to having a wrong ghetto truck stop sealed style gas cap on it ......:confused:

And that may be something of the issue. The previous owner had bought a new cap for it. No telling what was on it before

I'll bet @Blastservices is correct. I spent a lot of time getting the tank to vent properly. I simply started by drilling a small hole in the cap after getting the 55 bc when I filled the tank there was a swoosh of air upon opening the cap. These little one-way gas valves fixed the problem so that I could go with a non-venting gas cap.
Amazon product ASIN B000C982H2I put one into the vent for the fill line that allowed air in and another in the vent line to the engine from the collection canister at the tank that allowed vapor to travel to the engine. After that, no venting problems and after running the 55 on hot days, no smell of gas and no swoosh of air when opening the gas cap to fill the tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom