Identifying rear disc conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for assistance identifying what conversion kit and calipers I have here (pictures below) as pulled the wheel off to discover that I had lost a caliper pin on one side and am looking for what replacement pin to pick up. Would also like to ID caliper type for rebuild purposes.

Bracket
PhRpXsV.jpg

Caliper
FkggzCT.jpg

It appears to be the type sold by JT here:
Rear Disc Brake Kit for Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FJ55 FJ60 FJ62 FJ80 Conversion – JT Outfitters - https://www.jtoutfitters.com/product/rear-disc-brake-kit-for-toyota-land-cruiser-fj40-fj55-fj60-fj62-fj80-conversion/

Monte carlo calipers a safe assumption?

Thanks

They might be a Eldorado rear calipers. They were similar to Monte Carlo calipers except they have provisions for an ebrake. The gm pins are common and can be found at most auto parts stores. M/C calipers would work but have no e-brake.

They might be a Eldorado rear calipers. They were similar to Monte Carlo calipers except they have provisions for an ebrake. The gm pins are common and can be found at most auto parts stores. M/C calipers would work but have no e-brake.
When I had one go astray, I got a 'Doorman - HELP' replacement pin from the auto-parts store. The replacement pin was slightly oversized with a built in tap to cut larger threads into the backing plate. It also had a provision for a cotter pin to make doubly shure it wouldn't just walk away.

Here's what they looked like...
I CAN'T say if they'll be the right ones for YOUR application. I'd recommend bringing in an old pin when you go. Also check that the old pin fits tight so that you know if the threads are messed up or need to be re-tapped or a Heli-coil.

First post nailed it, thanks! Definitely eldorado calipers and the pins/bushings were an exact fit.

tempImageAMf4Kn.png

Great link, thank you. I do have problems with the e brake loosening. This truck has the dash-mounted "corkscrew" ebrake handle that has been fitted to actuate the rear disk brakes.

When I had one go astray, I got a 'Doorman - HELP' replacement pin from the auto-parts store. The replacement pin was slightly oversized with a built in tap to cut larger threads into the backing plate. It also had a provision for a cotter pin to make doubly shure it wouldn't just walk away.

Here's what they looked like...
I CAN'T say if they'll be the right ones for YOUR application. I'd recommend bringing in an old pin when you go. Also check that the old pin fits tight so that you know if the threads are messed up or need to be re-tapped or a Heli-coil.

The threads, somehow, are OK. I may use light thread locker to keep this from happening again.

Local auto parts stores do not have any staff who know about parts. Without a VIN or year/make/model, you are on your own.

First post nailed it, thanks! Definitely eldorado calipers and the pins/bushings were an exact fit.

View attachment 3169279

Great link, thank you. I do have problems with the e brake loosening. This truck has the dash-mounted "corkscrew" ebrake handle that has been fitted to actuate the rear disk brakes.

The threads, somehow, are OK. I may use light thread locker to keep this from happening again.

Local auto parts stores do not have any staff who know about parts. Without a VIN or year/make/model, you are on your own.

In ‘96 when I did my engine swap it was hard to find a parts jockey that knew anything about parts. Since then it’s gotten far worse. Now parts manufacturers have decided that parts don’t need to fit the specific year you carefully asked for.

It’s even worse if you try getting disc brake parts for a ‘74 Fj40 from the Toyota dealership. According to the vin I’ve got 4 drum brakes, a semi-floating rear axle, an F engine, etc., etc. Their mind would explode if I went tried to buy parts there.

Figured a resurrection would be better than starting a new thread.

Having a tough time finding rebuild parts for these calipers. They should be gm compatible calipers to fit 79-85 eldorado and a wide range of other GM applications for that era.

However, the piston and bore diameter are smaller and nothing seems to fit. Pads are also a problem... many have sheet metal clips that would have to be cut off, and no lug to match the slots in the piston face. I can figure out the pads, but having no luck with piston seals and dust boots.

What GM style caliper uses a 2.1"/54mm piston and bore?

I'm down to ordering and reordering boots to parts stores but nothing fits. Closest have been some GM 2.24" ID boots.

tempImagebkOHRd.png

The assemblies are a dead ringer for this JEGs set, down to the housing casting and e brake brackets color.
JEGS 63042

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom