2F rebuild install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I’m a new user but not new to MUD. I have a 76’ 40 that me and my dad got when I was 14. Long story short, I drove it as a first car after we restored it… then the engine blew. I’m now 18 and we bought a rebuilt 2F that we are installing now. Just had a few questions for anyone who can help.

1.) My old engine had a thermo sensor for the computer and a water temp sensor for the gauge however, the new one does not have a hole for the thermo sensor. I assume the thermo sensor is more needed for the computer but would like to keep the gauge working as well. Thought about bridging the wires because they are similar sensors but heard that they have different ohm levels or something of that sort?

2.) My old 2F had an oil pressure sensor on the lower drivers side of the block. On the new engine, there is no threaded hole for this sensor and my engine doesn’t have an oil cooler to attach the sensor to. Do I even need the sensor? Should I drill and tap the bottom of the oil filter housing?

Thanks!

Hey everyone, I’m a new user but not new to MUD. I have a 76’ 40 that me and my dad got when I was 14. Long story short, I drove it as a first car after we restored it… then the engine blew. I’m now 18 and we bought a rebuilt 2F that we are installing now. Just had a few questions for anyone who can help.

1.) My old engine had a thermo sensor for the computer and a water temp sensor for the gauge however, the new one does not have a hole for the thermo sensor. I assume the thermo sensor is more needed for the computer but would like to keep the gauge working as well. Thought about bridging the wires because they are similar sensors but heard that they have different ohm levels or something of that sort?

2.) My old 2F had an oil pressure sensor on the lower drivers side of the block. On the new engine, there is no threaded hole for this sensor and my engine doesn’t have an oil cooler to attach the sensor to. Do I even need the sensor? Should I drill and tap the bottom of the oil filter housing?

Thanks!
A61DECF8-7128-4203-B13B-FF12B6413DA6.jpeg
1A78236F-9025-44DB-8C46-79974B6D278E.jpeg
4AA83AB1-BA6A-4E50-98A8-EE9E7FE9BE7B.jpeg
5388BA20-C257-4680-B533-37BF5FD39E63.jpeg

Blue circle is water temp sensor, red is thermo sensor in the first two pics. Second pic is old engine.
Yellow circle is where old oil pressure sensor was.
I’ve seen some model years like mine with the filter housing having a hole for the pressure sensor but mine does not.

I could be wrong but my first impression is that’s a F motor, not a 2F.

Looks like you have a later model 2F to me, dented side cover and power steering bolt holes on the head point to this. I swapped one of these in my 76 years ago and ran into similar issues. I'd find a oil filter mount already tapped for the pressure sensor instead of doing this yourself, doubt you could get all the shavings out leading to a ripped oil filter or blocked engine passages if you try this. I ended up running just the temp sensor you circled in blue and not using the other one with no issues, stock gauge works fine this way. Have to say it, swapping engines with crappy plastic rope and bare feet is asking for trouble. Use the correct equipment.

There may be temp sensor locations in the thermostat housing on the later models you could use. If you don't need to deal with smog requirements, it's possible that other sensor is not needed, along with all the other smog related crap. If you de-smog, KEEP all the smog components for folks in the smog states that may need replacement parts.

Looks like you have a later model 2F to me, dented side cover and power steering bolt holes on the head point to this. I swapped one of these in my 76 years ago and ran into similar issues. I'd find a oil filter mount already tapped for the pressure sensor instead of doing this yourself, doubt you could get all the shavings out leading to a ripped oil filter or blocked engine passages if you try this. I ended up running just the temp sensor you circled in blue and not using the other one with no issues, stock gauge works fine this way. Have to say it, swapping engines with crappy plastic rope and bare feet is asking for trouble. Use the correct equipment.
Haha I know we got better equipment when the new engine came. Thanks a lot for the help it’s greatly appreciated. I’ll try to find a tapped filter housing I think I saw an aftermarket one on here somewhere👍

Haha I know we got better equipment when the new engine came. Thanks a lot for the help it’s greatly appreciated. I’ll try to find a tapped filter housing I think I saw an aftermarket one on here somewhere👍
no need for aftermarket.....just cruise the classifieds here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom