what is the thread size of this 3rd bolt hole? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have two of my front bumper mounting bolts broken off…I need to find out what the size of the non-used third bolt hole is to try ti use that for a temporary fix…any one know?

EF257B90-5980-40C6-8C38-F13D1892DC47.jpeg

M12

So...just curious...anyone know why this un used bolt hole is there? What's it for?
Possibly for the ultra rare factory option of the shaft driven winch 🤔

FYI, as it turns out...it is not 12mm ...it is also not 10mm (which is the actual bumper mount bolts size)...which are both too big for this hole...8mm is too small as I bought one of those to try...must be 9mm? couldn't get one of those so will have to search online

FYI, as it turns out...it is not 12mm ...it is also not 10mm (which is the actual bumper mount bolts size)...which are both too big for this hole...8mm is too small as I bought one of those to try...must be 9mm? couldn't get one of those so will have to search online
Common sizes used are M8, M10, M12. I don't believe there is an M9. No bolt supplier has M9.

Common sizes used are M8, M10, M12. I don't believe there is an M9. No bolt supplier has M9.
hmmm...Toyota doesn't mix metric and sae by any chance do they? I guess I gotta go to a dealer and eyeball their parts catalog
page to find this thing...

hmmm...Toyota doesn't mix metric and sae by any chance do they? I guess I gotta go to a dealer and eyeball their parts catalog
page to find this thing...
How did you determine that it was not what @jonheld listed?

I happen to know he is correct, but you insist he is not.

Maybe you could go to the partsouq site and find the correct Toyota P/N for that bolt. It won't tell you the thread or size, but you will have a P/N you can order.

I just pulled a bolt from what appears to be the same hole on my 97. My Shortbus bumper uses that hole for mounting.

I came up with M10 x 1.25.

Here are some pics

9DF8CD0B-3FE0-4F8A-8076-683F79A90FA6.jpeg

7E607CF4-DA85-4B0A-AC7C-64459087FC04.jpeg

E5EF3A60-E6FA-4852-B017-BC5751A72769.jpeg

It's a captive sq nut with four tack welds. I'd knock that sumbitch out with a punch, then use a nut with a brand new bolt. Assuming of course, the captive nut is FUBAR and the threads can't be chased out.

Hmmm...if you look at the picture I posted, there are 3 bolt holes in this area...2 are (I also believe) M10x 1.25, but that
third one is not...I went to the Dealer today to look over the parts guys shoulder and there is no bolt indicated for that third hole on the diagram...I do believe there is another purpose for it...mounting another system in a different diagram somewhere in the FSM...
I tried putting the suspected M10x1.25 into that 3rd hole and it don't thread in, even though it looks like an M10 size...maybe the thread is 1.0? I have a Metric M10x1.25 tap and it won't go in...on a brighter note, I did manage to drill thru one of the sheared off bolt stubs so, I might have some hope of getting it out (maybe)...but I'd rather find this bolt size and be done with it...

You can see the bolt I noted above is in the same hole position (the "third hole") as the OP.

B29A033B-8139-4DFA-99BF-64AEEE143B1C.jpeg

254E877B-FC03-4D4A-983F-E410E2B6CBA1.jpeg

5ACBD4A1-EF8C-43C1-A178-6930463DACED.jpeg

Last edited:
How did you determine that it was not what @jonheld listed?

I happen to know he is correct, but you insist he is not.

Maybe you could go to the partsouq site and find the correct Toyota P/N for that bolt. It won't tell you the thread or size, but you will have a P/N you can order.
hi bilt4me…I went to hardware store and purchased a M12 bolt and it didnt fit…no idea why anyone thinks M12 is the size…but, opinions differ 😎

hi bilt4me…I went to hardware store and purchased a M12 bolt and it didnt fit…no idea why anyone thinks M12 is the size…but, opinions differ 😎
Did you get 1.25, 1.5, or 1.75?

Only a slight difference.......

Toyota uses JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) fasteners.

A typical bolt from the hardware store will be a metric course thread.
JIS fasteners are usually equivariant to a metric fine thread.

A M12 bolt from hardware store will be 1.75mm thread pitch. JIS will be 1.25mm thread pitch

Screenshot_20221117-133107.png

Edit: that chart has a couple of discrepancies, but generally gives the right picture

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom