Is this a leaking head gasket? 1KZ-TE (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey again,

So after pulling the manifold off to change some gaskets seeping delicious EGR goo it almost looks like the head gasket has a leak? No dripping or real noticeable oil loss (tiny top off after 5000km or so) and no other symptoms of any sort. No smoke or anything, truck sounds and runs good. It is at 321k on the clock now.

PXL_20221012_013936900.jpg

PXL_20221012_013950514.jpg

PXL_20221012_013953000.jpg

PXL_20221012_013958272.jpg

Based on your description that it is running well, and no real major oil consumption, compression is good, then I would suggest the oil loss is what is being pushed through the head into the intake and causing you ''goo'' problem you are currently working on. If you are not seeing anything funky with the coolant (losing coolant and/or oil in the coolant) then I would say leave it alone.

Clean it up and reinspect after some driving time and see if there are any new leak evidence at that time. Hope this helps! :cheers:

Because the mess starts above the headgasket, I don't think the problem lies there.

I'm going to suggest it's either a leaking valve cover gasket, or oil from your crank ventilation (fed into intake from OEM), that is settling in the intake manifold and leaking out.

If the former, just replace gasket.

If the latter, buy a catch can, and optionally replace your intake manifold gaskets.

EGR and crank ventilation are hard on these motors as they really sludge them up.

Based on your description that it is running well, and no real major oil consumption, compression is good, then I would suggest the oil loss is what is being pushed through the head into the intake and causing you ''goo'' problem you are currently working on. If you are not seeing anything funky with the coolant (losing coolant and/or oil in the coolant) then I would say leave it alone.

Clean it up and reinspect after some driving time and see if there are any new leak evidence at that time. Hope this helps! :cheers:
Because the mess starts above the headgasket, I don't think the problem lies there.

I'm going to suggest it's either a leaking valve cover gasket, or oil from your crank ventilation (fed into intake from OEM), that is settling in the intake manifold and leaking out.

If the former, just replace gasket.

If the latter, buy a catch can, and optionally replace your intake manifold gaskets.

EGR and crank ventilation are hard on these motors as they really sludge them up.

Thanks guys, yeah I replaced the intake manifold gaskets and cleaned out the intake manifold, as expected after 300k+ it was pretty dirty but not as bad as I had seen online or expected honestly. Either way I decided to ditch the EGR and have some blanking plates coming in a day or two. Also used the time to put an EGR probe and gauge in pre turbo. We'll see what the truck runs like once everything is squared away.

Thanks for the help!

So am curious to know your EGTs under load, etc. You still running bone stock pump and everything, yeah? Where did you tap/install the pyro needle? And also curious if your factory temp gauge has any correspondence with your EGT guage. Thanks in advance for the update!!

So am curious to know your EGTs under load, etc. You still running bone stock pump and everything, yeah? Where did you tap/install the pyro needle? And also curious if your factory temp gauge has any correspondence with your EGT guage. Thanks in advance for the update!!

Hey man, I tapped the probe into the exhaust manifold at the blanking plate, put it's right in the middle of the manifold at the exit of the rearmost cylinder. My EGT'S are usually 7-900 in town and on highway, big mountain passes with O/D off it'll climb up to 1150 for a bit but they drop as soon as I ease off the throttle. The factory temp gauge doesn't show jack hahaha completely useless. And yes stock pump, stock truck really except a 2.5" exhaust with just a resonator otherwise straight through.

Hey man, I tapped the probe into the exhaust manifold at the blanking plate, put it's right in the middle of the manifold at the exit of the rearmost cylinder. My EGT'S are usually 7-900 in town and on highway, big mountain passes with O/D off it'll climb up to 1150 for a bit but they drop as soon as I ease off the throttle. The factory temp gauge doesn't show jack hahaha completely useless. And yes stock pump, stock truck really except a 2.5" exhaust with just a resonator otherwise straight through.
Great, your temps seem right about where they should be. I think I need to need to run an egt gauge cause I am running blind. I've done all maintenance for my cooling system and generally runs fine here in warm Africa, but have seen my water temps climb on two occasions on the factory gauge. I could put a 10 blade fan on, but hate to lose the power. So I think I need a egt gauge to know what is really going on, before I decide if/what I need to do to the cooling system. And, I bet your 2.5 pipe with resonator sound really good without going crazy. 2.5 from the dump pipe down? I've heard that a 3 inch downpipe can be squeezes in, but pretty tight....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom