1993 Real-Time CDL Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need to travel some snowy backroads in Central Alberta (Home of the infamous Hwy 2 Sh^t show recently) in a few and would like to lock center diff in high range. Anyway to do this manually? Seem to remember some way of getting it to stay locked in HI but don't have time to sift through all the pin-7 posts to find it.
TYIA

Need to travel some snowy backroads in Central Alberta (Home of the infamous Hwy 2 Sh^t show recently) in a few and would like to lock center diff in high range. Anyway to do this manually? Seem to remember some way of getting it to stay locked in HI but don't have time to sift through all the pin-7 posts to find it.
TYIA
I think you simply need to buy a CDL switch and you’re GTG….weather or not you want to engage it in snowy icy conditions is of course another matter. I took my 80 from WA state up to just east of Edmonton in February 2018 and it was pretty nasty. My tires we’re aired down to 27ish (general grabber at2 in 315 75r 16) and while the ruts in the ice were super scary I never lost traction.

I think you simply need to buy a CDL switch and you’re GTG….weather or not you want to engage it in snowy icy conditions is of course another matter. I took my 80 from WA state up to just east of Edmonton in February 2018 and it was pretty nasty. My tires we’re aired down to 27ish (general grabber at2 in 315 75r 16) and while the ruts in the ice were super scary I never lost traction.
And for reference I drive slow and smooth in ice and snow, so I can’t comment on how this would work with someone who wasn’t “taking their time”.

I grew up with 4x4 pickups and locking the center diff in 4H on snowy icy roads was standard. I do get you your point though with an All-Tme 4wd and viscous center diff I've never had any problem. The 80 feels super planted.

Just read here there was a method to get 4H - maybe going to 4L, turning off engine switching Tcase to H and restarting - but can't seem to make anything work.
Regards

Found this in another thread. I have not tried this…ymmv.

Place your tcase in LOW until you see the CDL light come on. Shut off the truck. Pull the fuse for the CDL.
Start the truck and place it in HIGH range on the tcase. The CDL light may or may not be on because the fuse is pulled, but the CDL is still locked.

Simply get a switch and connect it to the factory plug that lives behind the climate controls. Relocate alarm button down to one of the blanks. A hazard switch can be had for cheaper and is physically the same, while the official CDL switch is a "wanted" item and thus is reflected in its price. Pin 7 alone has nothing to do with center locked in high

If you have to do it on the spot and can't wait, the above work-around *should* work

Last edited:
Simply get a switch and connect it to the factory plug that lives behind the climate controls. Relocate alarm button down to one of the blanks. A hazard switch can be had for cheaper and is physically the same, while the official CDL switch is a "wanted" item and thus is reflected in its price. Pin 7 alone has nothing to do with center locked in high

If you have to do it on the spot and can't wait, the above work-around *should* work
Just a note, 94 and earlier folks have both “Toyota” switches and special curved switches. As far as I know, most of the curved switches are expensive, so unfortunately the hazard trick won’t work on the early dash models. Maybe a ECT or Rear defrost?

But as of today @Delta VS has them (93-94) for $49 and 95+ for $88.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom