1996 Land Cruiser; no more issue, thanks all (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Posting here to see if my theory is right or not and figure out what this hose is used for since old threads don't label it.

Drove up 6 hours from home and I'm now at Lake Tahoe with the family.

Last night I smelled coolant only to find there was some puddled up at the top of the radiator.

No signs of a crack at the plastic end tank as I checked my fluids before my trip. No dried coolant, nothing.

The area that's most wet is here circled in cyan (using generic picture I stole online) -

Coolant-Heater-Hoses-4.jpg

My thoughts were...due to the elevation changes driving up here (6,000 feet above sea level) that the changes caused coolant to spew out? But the weird thing is, it only happened after having been parked an hour then heading out to get some food.

I'm without tools, have our two dogs and wife.

Thinking of cutting the trip short and slowly heading home with coolant at my disposal. Just sucks because there are long stretches of roads away from civilization.

This shows that hose I think.

I once lost a brake booster at the cabin with family and dog in the snow. Fun times.

Is it just leaking from the one area? I doubt altitude played a roll in it. Can you tell which hose?

May be as simple as tightening that hose clamp. I'd pull it off the radiator nipple to check. There should be very minimal coolant loss.

The hose clamp on the large radiator inlet hose could also be the issue. It looks funky to me. I'd try some plumber strap on that before canceling your trip. I had the same thing happen and a clamp just needed tightening.

Last edited:
This shows that hose I think.

I once lost a brake booster at the cabin with family and dog in the snow. Fun times.

I looked there before posting here; have replaced vacuum lines, knock sensor, and a few other goodies.

Wit's End is legit for sure.

Guess I got stuck looking at the diagram and skipped out looking at the *actual item* pics so thanks for that. The hose circled here seems to be the one in the small hose kit

Coolant-Heater-Hoses-4 (1).jpg

Wits-End-Water-Hoses__43894.jpg

What about my assumption about the elevation changes? I have everything at home to work on this thing but being 6 hours from home with nothing at my disposal sucks.

Is it just leaking from the one area? I doubt altitude played a roll in it. Can you tell which hose?

May be as simple as tightening that hose clamp. I'd pull it off the radiator nipple to check. There should be very minimal coolant loss.

The hose clamp on the large radiator inlet hose could also be the issue. It looks funky to me. I'd try some plumber strap on that before canceling your trip. I had the same thing happen and a clamp just needed tightening.

Was cold last night, large bear wandering the area (apparently it lives near these hotels, walked beside me and startled me for a sec).

It's just the *most* wet area with the exception of the underside of the hood.

If its that hose all you need is a trip to any auto parts store and a screwdriver.

Edit: is there coolant all over the engine bay? Can you send us a photo of your actual engine?

If its that hose all you need is a trip to any auto parts store and a screwdriver.

Edit: is there coolant all over the engine bay? Can you send us a photo of your actual engine?

That's my next question; what's the hose called exactly? I'll get up in a little bit and look under the hood in a bit to assess.

I have the hose if you need it, I'm in Reno. Let me know if I can help.

Let me change and go outside now.

Last night when I started it up (to diagnose) all I was getting is burn off, from the already spilled coolant.

No leaks or anything that I can see or hear. Thinking it's under actual load that it leaked? But yeah I'll take any help I can get for sure. I always carry tools except this one time cause no wheeling was planned; wife is preggers.

I will absolutely take a pic in just a bit. Was just trying to describe as best as I could before going outside.

Dogs were fussy going outside to do their business lol...they don't like snow.

You'll see the belts are dry, and the intake housing probably received some splatter from the fan blowing coolant all over.

I hope those pics showed the puddled coolant and wet spots.

Got 5 more pics to post.

On the small coolant bypass hose it looks like there is red sealant. Are you running red or green coolant? I'm guessing thats your issue. Maybe the nipple broke previously and someone glued it back on?

On the small coolant bypass hose it looks like there is red sealant. Are you running red or green coolant? I'm guessing thats your issue. Maybe the nipple broke previously and someone glued it back on?

Red coolant since the last two owners. It actually belonged to a member here some 2+ years ago and he baselined and took care of many things using only OEM parts too.

Thanks for indicating what the hose is. I had pulled back the hose a bit and the nipple looks fully intact and in one piece. It's old dried coolant that happens to be wet as of last night.

Red coolant since the last two owners. It actually belonged to a member here some 2+ years ago and he baselined and took care of many things using only OEM parts too.

Thanks for indicating what the hose is. I had pulled back the hose a bit and the nipple looks fully intact and in one piece. It's old dried coolant that happens to be wet as of last night.

I'm betting you just need to tighten that hose and you will be good. If there was dried up coolant on the end I bet it was loose and has been slowly leaking.

I'm betting you just need to tighten that hose and you will be good. If there was dried up coolant on the end I bet it was loose and has been slowly leaking.

You and I have the same initial thought; that coolant bypass is the culprit.

The hose connected to the nipple easily slides back and forth; this hose is old and stiff and does not feel like a soft rubbery hose that'd seal itself over the plastic nipple.

Seems the hose was cut at some point (though it looks factory) cause the end has an angle and the cut isn't as clean.

May be taking @Cruzingcruiser on the offer, but at over an hour away I need to get him a beer and pay his gas at least!

I would try and remove the clamp and hose and make sure the nipple is not cracked, if it is good then move the clamp closer to the radiator. Also, I would consider using a worm gear style hose clamp. Some will be quick to say nothing better then stock but if your clamp doesnt provide enough tension the worm gear style hose clamp will be your best option till you can get home.

I would try and remove the clamp and hose and make sure the nipple is not cracked, if it is good then move the clamp closer to the radiator. Also, I would consider using a worm gear style hose clamp. Some will be quick to say nothing better then stock but if your clamp doesnt provide enough tension the worm gear style hose clamp will be your best option till you can get home.

Yeah that clamp is worthless. But it doesn't help that the hose feels like a hard plastic too. There's a Napa some ways away which I'll hit up when we grab lunch.

Trying to minimize driving as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom