Newbie (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, have just purchased my new project. Fj45, not yet sure of the year.
I want to do a full restoration on it and want to build it stock as possible. It has a 2F motor with a 5 speed. I bought it from a guy that intended to restore it himself, but he never had the time to do it. So now my turn. Unfortunately for me it's fully pulled apart, so I didn't get the chance to see how it all came apart, I may need advice from time to time when I start to put it together. Before I bought this one, my first priority was to find one with the chassis in good condition, no bad rust, however, during the inspection of this one, I noticed that the bottom flange of the inner C channel has been eaten away from Mr rust. I told myself to leave this one alone. BUT, after seeing all the body panels , I found them to be in great condition, very little rust. He had heaps of spair parts so decided to buy this one.
My first question to this forum is,
Has anyone ever separated the inner and outer chassis C channels to repair them.
To do this I will need to remove many of the chassis rivets and cut the welds of the pipe cross members. Sounds like a big job, but I think it needs to be done if I am going to do this properly. Does anyone think replacing the rivets will devalue the final finish of this.
Would love to hear from others who have had to do this and if you think it's worth it.

These are the only photos I have so far and will post more when I get everything sorted

IMG20221111075014.jpg

IMG20221111122432.jpg

Welcome, it looks like a great project. A few folks have torn the frames apart b4, blasted and riveted or bolted their frames back together. I'm not sure how many responses you'll get. You might want to be proactive and use the search function or Google search.

Welcome, it looks like a great project. A few folks have torn the frames apart b4, blasted and riveted or bolted their frames back together. I'm not sure how many responses you'll get. You might want to be proactive and use the search function or Google search.
Thanks mate, I have started asking questions about our rules and regulations here in Perth. As it's not currently registered, it will have to get fully checked before registering is allowed. I will need to make sure everything I do it done correctly and done well

Thanks mate, I have started asking questions about our rules and regulations here in Perth. As it's not currently registered, it will have to get fully checked before registering is allowed. I will need to make sure everything I do it done correctly and done well

Sounds like you need to assemble it correctly. Folks have done it b4. They've source rivets and the tools to get the job done. The search function is in the upper right corner. Here's a link to start. I'm sure there many more threads on this subject.

Sounds like you need to assemble it correctly. Folks have done it b4. They've source rivets and the tools to get the job done. The search function is in the upper right corner. Here's a link to start. I'm sure there many more threads on this subject.

Thanks, I like the idea, but not sure about the amount of heat going into the flanges and it would also burn off the paint protection between the two flanges.
Must be away of heating the rivet without heating the flanges. But has got me thinking 🤔😂👍

Newbie to 45s, don't know. I'm still entertained by seeing a steering gear on the right. Also, your 2F side cover can accommodate a big cap distributor. Why is the oil filter wearing a shower cap?

How thick is the pack compared to the front pack?

Newbie to 45s, don't know. I'm still entertained by seeing a steering gear on the right. Also, your 2F side cover can accommodate a big cap distributor. Why is the oil filter wearing a shower cap?

How thick is the pack compared to the front pack?
I will have to have a look, the chassis is at my Mum's, I only picked it up yesterday.
Last owner had no idea, put cover over oil filter but painted the sparkplugs 😂😂

I'm jealous of the new-truck excitement. Check that no water is entering the PCV tube on driver side, and steering gear breather (look like cap is missing). Make sure that no H2O is entering thru shifter cane.

I'm jealous of the new-truck excitement. Check that no water is entering the PCV tube on driver side, and steering gear breather (look like cap is missing). Make sure that no H2O is entering thru shifter cane.
After photo, I fitted a tarp so no H20 can get in😂, but thanks👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom