Early 2L head bolt torque (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
Having trouble finding information, as everything I find if for the later model 2L (center mounted camshaft). I torqued the bolts in sequence to 58 ft/lbs. however all the manuals say to then rotate the bolts another 180°. That just seems crazy, i tried on one and felt like I was going to strip the threads at around the 45° mark. I loosened it and torqued it back to 58 ft/lbs.

Any advise?
B7386A8D-B0D6-4C43-BA3D-50BD2905064A.jpeg

I've always done the torque setting then 90+90 or whatever it says in the manual. That's 2LTE tho. If it's a MLS head gasket, that is the right way. Get new head bolts if you need to. Do it in lots of passes, and make sure every thing is dang clean and flat! Make sure head bolt holes are very clean and you should chase them with a tap also. Use a bit of oil under the bolt head.

It's an epic workout, and you'll feel in the next day. Take your time, as it's important to get it right.

I think it’s a composite he
I've always done the torque setting then 90+90 or whatever it says in the manual. That's 2LTE tho. If it's a MLS head gasket, that is the right way. Get new head bolts if you need to. Do it in lots of passes, and make sure every thing is dang clean and flat! Make sure head bolt holes are very clean and you should chase them with a tap also. Use a bit of oil under the bolt head.

It's an epic workout, and you'll feel in the next day. Take your time, as it's important to get it right

It's an epic workout, and you'll feel in the next day. Take your time, as it's important to get it right.
I think it’s a composite gasket. As long as it’s supposed to feel hard then I’ll do it. All the bolt holes and bolts were cleaned very well at the machine shop. I did however forget to oil the bolts. Think it’s fine or should I somehow losen them (one at a time) and oil?

I think it’s a composite he

I think it’s a composite gasket. As long as it’s supposed to feel hard then I’ll do it. All the bolt holes and bolts were cleaned very well at the machine shop. I did however forget to oil the bolts. Think it’s fine or should I somehow losen them (one at a time) and oil?

Composite gasket? Weird. Anyhow, as long as you're following the manual, I think it's fine. No oil on the threads, just under the bolt heads I believe. But check the manual. I don't think it makes enough difference to warrant re-torque....but yes if you did, do just one at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom