AA trans motor mount problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is this what some have talked about concerning the hassle with the mounts. This is my stock 88 auto trans to crossmember. Thought it would bolt up, but i guess not
IMG_20221106_124959147.jpg

The auto transmission mount doesn’t bolt to the adapter. I have drilled and tapped the adapter for the auto mount a few times as have a other swappers.
The manual mount doesn’t fit the 62 auto crossmember without mods.

I would recommend it as it puts the engine in a really good spot.

This thread has good pictures and dimensions

The auto transmission mount doesn’t bolt to the adapter. I have drilled and tapped the adapter for the auto mount a few times as have a other swappers.
The manual mount doesn’t fit the 62 auto crossmember without mods.

I would recommend it as it puts the engine in a really good spot.

This thread has good pictures and dimensions
I could drill and tap but my thought about that was the thickness of the aluminum casting where the bolts would go through is thin. My other thought was fit 1/4 plate bent to fit the AA shape and hole pattern, then tap into the 1/4 plate for the original trans mount hole locations and a through hole in the AA aluminum casting with a nut on the bolts. So it'd be threaded into steel and a bolt on the other end against the aluminum.

I could drill and tap but my thought about that was the thickness of the aluminum casting where the bolts would go through is thin. My other thought was fit 1/4 plate bent to fit the AA shape and hole pattern, then tap into the 1/4 plate for the original trans mount hole locations and a through hole in the AA aluminum casting with a nut on the bolts. So it'd be threaded into steel and a bolt on the other end against the aluminum.
Did you check the thread out that Matt posted?

You could helicoil it if you’re worried.

Hey that's a good idea. With inserts and 4 bolts I think I would be fine. Thanks!

Yes you will. There are also trucks running the mount re-tapped right into the adapter that have run Moab, all over Tennessee, and +10K street miles.

For reference: I used the factory bolts, with helicoils. Engagement is great on the rear two since they have plenty of meat, and pretty good on the front two (pics are showing the front bolts exposed on the inside of the AA adapter).

9707922A-283A-4E06-923D-00F5129F4229.jpeg

38628B70-74BE-4A75-832D-AD2696C561D1.jpeg

maybe if enough of us speak up AA will just add the second set of holes 🤷‍♀️

Do the stock holes line up for any swap?? Seems like people always drill them

the holes in the adapter are for the manual transmission (h42/55) mount which is very different then the a440f mount.

I cut the mount in half.. spaced it apart and welded 1/4” flat bar between. Been holding up fine for 10+ years
So when you need to replace it you have to do it all over again? And can't just bolt a new one back in place. I would rather modify the adapter and be able to just bolt a new one back on. It works for you it's your rig but I do these for other people so modifying that kind of part isn't something I would do on a customer's rig so if something happens they can handle it or another shop can without asking me why or how... not busting your balls here
Tommy

So when you need to replace it you have to do it all over again? And can't just bolt a new one back in place. I would rather modify the adapter and be able to just bolt a new one back on. It works for you it's your rig but I do these for other people so modifying that kind of part isn't something I would do on a customer's rig so if something happens they can handle it or another shop can without asking me why or how... not busting your balls here
Tommy
Yeah.. I’d have to make another..

I was afraid to mess up a 700$ part vs a $50 part. It’s held up well so I’m happy with it

Here's where I'm at. This is how it mocks up. I took a measurement from the stud on the Transmission mount to the shift fork connection point on the transfer case. Approx 4 inches or 4.25 I guess. If I position the mount on the AA casting at this same location my drive shafts should be good and my location for where the 4WD shifter comes through the floor should be good. If you notice the black angled fixture from AA (it's just temporarily there), it's supposed to be for the Pivot point for the 4WD (kind of hard to see under the rubber boot), at least that's what I thought, but maybe it's for a manual transmission set up. You can see my original mount in the foreground which is what I'm going to use. The mount will set further back on the AA casting than I thought it would. Also the "F" in the rubber part of the mount, that will have to go towards the rear, not the front, which is what I assumed the "F" stood for, Front. I'm wondering if Matt has a picture of how his shifter pivot point would fit this circumstance. Anyway I picked up the Helicoil set yesterday so I'll be installing the mount to the AA today, then my needle bearings will get here hopefully Tuesday, (I bought the wrong kit for the TC rebuild, I needed the AUTO kit which is only different in that it includes the bearings) Lastly, I've got to get rid of the purple paint.
TC mock up.jpg

Throw the AA bracket in the scrap bin, buy my $45 shifter pivot bracket and be done. It is literally designed exactly for what you are doing. Along with everything else I sell that I spent a bunch of time designing and sell very inexpensively :lol:
I even provide tech support and answer installation questions.

I will post this link again as it has very good pictures of all this. @Dubs2017 is doing a great job with his.

Also, there are not any differences between the auto/manual t-case kits, the auto kits don't include the needle bearings for the output gears.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom