Iron Man Torsion Bars installation on 100 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought the regular Iron Man Torsion bars Front Torsion Bars (Petrol) Suited For Toyota 100 Series Land Cruiser/Lexus LX470 - https://ironman4x4america.com/front-torsion-bars-petrol-suited-for-toyota-100-series-land-cruiser-lexus-lx470/

and they did not come with installation instructions. I checked their site, no instructions for installation. I also tried emailing their customer service. I did not receive a response in the last 2 attempts.

Does anyone have any info about installing these? i am primarily concerned with the offset/ preload of the teeth/grooves in the Torsion bar brackets. are they just so dead simple to figure out that no instructions are needed?

This might, help--he isn't great at it, but he gets it done and highlights a couple of common mistakes by making them:hillbilly:

I wonder if these are compatible with AHC equipped cruisers.
The Ironman 32mm torsion bars are going to be quite a jump in spring rate, from the 25.5mm OE AHC torsion bars, while they should physically fit, if you're trying to keep the AHC hydraulics it's probably a "very bad idea".

Kinda like this guy and the Ironman coils with AHC:

If you're yanking the AHC system, yes they should work fine, although they're on the "heavy" end of the spectrum if you don't have a fair bit of aftermarket weight up front.

The Ironman 32mm torsion bars are going to be quite a jump in spring rate, from the 25.5mm OE AHC torsion bars, while they should physically fit, if you're trying to keep the AHC hydraulics it's probably a "very bad idea".

Kinda like this guy and the Ironman coils with AHC:

If you're yanking the AHC system, yes they should work fine, although they're on the "heavy" end of the spectrum if you don't have a fair bit of aftermarket weight up front.
Haha yah this is why I look before I leap. I'm just pushing right up against 6k lbs mass gross weight, I have a dissent bumper with winch and skids, plus 2 giant Batteries under the hood and thinking I could use something to beef up the front a little, I already have the king springs in the rear and they worked out quite fine.

Haha yah this is why I look before I leap. I'm just pushing right up against 6k lbs mass gross weight, I have a dissent bumper with winch and skids, plus 2 giant Batteries under the hood and thinking I could use something to beef up the front a little, I already have the king springs in the rear and they worked out quite fine.
Even so, the King springs that I'm thinking of are intended for "AHC+" situations like yours, not the heaviest non-AHC coil that you can get.

100 series torsion bars:
AHC ~25.5mm​
Non-AHC ~28.87mm (+3.37mm or +13.2% in diameter)​
OME ~30.5 (+1.63mm or +5.6% in diameter)​
TD/IM/SAW/etc ~32mm (+1.5mm or +4.9% in diameter)​

Diameter to spring rate is not linear.

I have not tried what you're intending to do, but I would suggest doing your research, because I suspect that it's not the right answer.

Even so, the King springs that I'm thinking of are intended for "AHC+" situations like yours, not the heaviest non-AHC coil that you can get.

100 series torsion bars:
AHC ~25.5mm​
Non-AHC ~28.87mm (+3.37mm or +13.2% in diameter)​
OME ~30.5 (+1.63mm or +5.6% in diameter)​
TD/IM/SAW/etc ~32mm (+1.5mm or +4.9% in diameter)​

Diameter to spring rate is not linear.

I have not tried what you're intending to do, but I would suggest doing your research, because I suspect that it's not the right answer.
Yeah the Kings are for armored heavy AHC systems. They have to be ordered from Australia but they are reasonably priced. I put mine in a year ago and an very pleased. I did have to strip and paint them though because they only come in yellow.

Well now I've hijacked this thread, I'm going go bring this up in a AHC thread.

I bought the regular Iron Man Torsion bars Front Torsion Bars (Petrol) Suited For Toyota 100 Series Land Cruiser/Lexus LX470 - https://ironman4x4america.com/front-torsion-bars-petrol-suited-for-toyota-100-series-land-cruiser-lexus-lx470/

and they did not come with installation instructions. I checked their site, no instructions for installation. I also tried emailing their customer service. I did not receive a response in the last 2 attempts.

Does anyone have any info about installing these? i am primarily concerned with the offset/ preload of the teeth/grooves in the Torsion bar brackets. are they just so dead simple to figure out that no instructions are needed?

Mine came marked with white paint on both ends in the spline grooves, suggesting the offset/preload for each bar. I ended up needing more offset though, it's pretty easy to redo the offset, can be done from the back, they don't need to be removed from the front mounting brackets. I have skids, sliders, front winch installed so maybe that's why I needed more offset.

I called and finally spoke Ironman customer service after my driver bar would not adjust to proper height needed. There is an arrow stamped into the end of the bar, that goes forward. Had to remove the bar including the front bracket, which is a PITA but now it has the correct offset / preload needed. I did go one spline past the painted marks/ spline groove to be sure. REALLY sucks they can't print an instruction sheet or label the bars better. Other components like the Diff drop bracket and lower control arm reinforcement brackets had good instructions included.

I called and finally spoke Ironman customer service after my driver bar would not adjust to proper height needed. There is an arrow stamped into the end of the bar, that goes forward. Had to remove the bar including the front bracket, which is a PITA but now it has the correct offset / preload needed. I did go one spline past the painted marks/ spline groove to be sure. REALLY sucks they can't print an instruction sheet or label the bars better. Other components like the Diff drop bracket and lower control arm reinforcement brackets had good instructions included.

Now you're a pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom