This feels weird...IH8MUD for a Tundra! Newly into a 2018 Platinum from a 97 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Many many ALL 6 sides Glamor Shot Photos or it does NOT exist ............ 🤔

My advice? Don’t bother. Save your money for a different weekend rig. These behemoths take a lot of work to make a fraction as capable as your LC and they’ll never fit down the fun trails anyway. If I could do my Tundra over again I’d leave it 100% stock including tires and use it for work exclusively.

Last edited:
Tundies have their place, more space/capacity for payload even on trails, BUT with the size come disadvantages on trails depending on where you go. East coast.. size is an issue, Colorado/Utah probably less so.

Baselining at 62k miles should be pretty straightforward. Change fluids/filters, brake pads, inspect CVs and ujoints. Tires are probably ready for replacement which seqways into mods.

Mods depend on where you want to go suspension and tire wise. Camping accessories vary by how off grid you want to be.

All terrain tires, sliders and winch will get a tundra most places it "should" be.

All terrain tires, sliders and winch will get a tundra most places it "should" be.

That and a heavy right foot and correct mindset get it the rest of the way to the places it shouldn’t. :hillbilly:

I live in the big tight woods of the west, and my Tundra goes anywhere I need to. I did however get a white one with a few body blemishes curtesy of the PO so I wouldn’t feel guilty about pinstripes, and can easily polish them out.

Enjoy the new ride. It’s quite a jump from an 80!

Oh, and as for mods, so far I’m just running Bilstei 5100s at the 2” height with 2” in the rear and 35x12.50s. I do have some rub at full lock, but it sure looks good! I might go narrower next time and see if I get away from the rub, but will stay 35” tall.

I am joining in, I added a Tundra as I needed a landlord truck... Selling my 80. LOL

I guess I'm the weirdo that kept their 80 and bought a Sequoia. My wife wouldn't let me sell the 80 (yes, I'm hanging on to her).

I did all fluids except brakes at 65,000 km.
I put on nice wide running boards (RB20).
Setrab tranny cooler.
Air bags with Daystar cups.
Air compressor.
1” shackle lift in back.
Bilsteins.

729ACC1E-8105-428F-9FE8-8983FF58F676.jpeg

57AD0232-5C07-4DFA-8CC5-B4808CC03FB3.jpeg

I have a ‘14 Tundra SuperCrew. Great truck.

Just went to a '20 crewmax from a '19 Doublecab Tacoma.

Liking it so far. It is rapidly replacing the 4runner as the family/road trip vehicle of choice. Only complaint is that the interior plastic picks of scratches like crazy.

2500 miles in the 25 days we have owned it.

Going to stay stock other than 1.5" to level the front, seat covers, and a tonneau.

I'm likieng the Tundra ( the THIRSTY BITCH!) POWER! Sold the wrecked LC yesterday ....end of an era! < I got good money from insurance and the next buyer> ****ing Land Cruisers!!!!! Love em!

You get your RSI sliders yet? I'm dumping my duramax and picked up a 2019 double cab for the landlording/camping rig. Still have the polaris ranger for poking around in the woods, and now won't have to worry about a bad diesel fill-up draining my bank account. Feels nice to be coming back to a toyota, I helped my mom sell her regular cab 5-speed tacoma a couple years back and I still haven't really forgiven myself for that...

I find it funny that everyone complains about fuel economy in these trucks. Its like they’ve never driven a V8 4x4 before! I ran Dodge Cummins trucks for the last 25 years, with a short stint in a 1992 F350 with 460 and 35s. Now THAT was a thirsty biznatch! These trucks actually get decent fuel economy for what they are. There are far worse modern trucks for fuel consumption. I very briefly drove a Chev 2500 HD with the 6.0 in it. It got 7 mpg in situations where the Tundra gets +/- 12 mpg. The Bose stereo in the Chev kicked ass, but the rest of the truck was garbage.

My 2013 2500hd duramax 6.6 gets 15mpg mostly city/back roads, maybe 17mpg on the highway. only drops to about 14 when towing a massive load. it's great for that. but diesel is like 5.50 a gallon still vs the cheap regular gas i'll be putting in the tundra, and one repair on the chevy blows away years of fuel economy savings, hence me seeing the "low" economy numbers on the 2.5gen tundras and thinking 🤷‍♂️.
Agreed, I'll miss the Bose stereo my 2500HD has, and the factory ground clearance to drive over a house has been nice. I think the previous owner must have put a minor lift on this one though, so it'll probably do fine.

2.jpg

Last edited:
If you don't have the driver's side grab handle, get one. I'm going to build my own sliders, but there are several really great vendors for those. MUD is great, but TUNDRA'S.com is far better for detail information.

MUD is great, but TUNDRA'S.com is far better for detail information.
It can only get better here if guys like you contribute 😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom