Delta VS Radius Arms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

what is your center of hub to bottom of flare measurement?

what is your center of hub to bottom of flare measurement?
I’d say 22-1/2 to 22-3/4”
Hub to Flare.jpg

Last edited:
Ok. Seems like you have around 2.5” of lift. Which is odd because most (including me with the 146/147vt’s are netting over 3” at the front.) Well anyway, we need your current caster measurement first.

Ok. Seems like you have around 2.5” of lift. Which is odd because most (including me with the 146/147vt’s are netting over 3” at the front.) Well anyway, we need your current caster measurement first.
I'll get those tonight. I do have the Delta Front Bumper and a 12k Come-Up winch up front. All of which is some fairly good weight. What is the easiest way to measure castor on these axles?

Just a reminder that Firestone auto has a lifetime alignment that's worth the money. After the first alignment, it pays for itself quickly.

FWIW, I'm sitting ~23" at all four corners with 166/169 Dobinsons springs. ARB/Warn up front, nothing out back.

still need to get an alignment to get caster numbers before I order up some front arms (or eimkeith drop brackets....can't decide)

FWIW, I'm sitting ~23" at all four corners with 166/169 Dobinsons springs. ARB/Warn up front, nothing out back.

still need to get an alignment to get caster numbers before I order up some front arms (or eimkeith drop brackets....can't decide)

I have a set of Eimkeith drop brackets but my rear radius arm mounts are buggered from rock impacts and it'll take me some time to "clean" them up before the brackets go in, if I decide to go that way.

Random drop of my stats in case it’s useful to a future mudder reading and deciding what to order (who may inevitably ask the same question but yolo).

Measurements:
Kit: Icon Stage 3 - 3”
Tire: 35” tires
Caster: 0 deg with ICON’s caster correcting bushings (4.6 deg)
Hub-to-fender: 24”
Lift Height: 3.5” lift
Driveline: Tom Wood's DC

Driving Notes: Drives straight but it's squirrelly. At highway speed, the truck wants to follow lines in the pavement, lateral wind makes driving a full-time activity. I wouldn't want my wife to drive it like this.

*No bumper or winch yet, but the addition of 100lbs on the front bumper drops Hub-to-Fender measurement by 0.5” (to 3” lift).

I purchased (and awaiting) 3" radius arms. I chose 3" arms due to Delta's Full Kit page saying they ship 3" arms with the exact same ICON stage 3 kit I have. In addition, my Hub-to-Fender measurement aligned with recommendation per website. (3" lift = 3" arms, 5" lift = 5" arms). In other comments (somewhere), Dave mentioned he prefers more caster for stability and they have shipped 4" or 5" radius arms with the ICON kit.

I ordered before I did this additional research. In retrospect, I might have gone with 5" arms to have more caster (especially as I'm currently sitting at 3.5" on the front), but I'm generally not experienced to know whether I prefer Stock or Additional Caster. I took the safe route as I remember the truck driving nicely when it was stock.

Random drop of my stats in case it’s useful to a future mudder reading and deciding what to order (who may inevitably ask the same question but yolo).

Measurements:
Kit: Icon Stage 3 - 3”
Tire: 35” tires
Caster: 0 deg with ICON’s caster correcting bushings (4.6 deg)
Hub-to-fender: 24”
Lift Height: 3.5” lift
Driveline: Tom Wood's DC

Driving Notes: Drives straight but it's squirrelly. At highway speed, the truck wants to follow lines in the pavement, lateral wind makes driving a full-time activity. I wouldn't want my wife to drive it like this.

*No bumper or winch yet, but the addition of 100lbs on the front bumper drops Hub-to-Fender measurement by 0.5” (to 3” lift).

I purchased (and awaiting) 3" radius arms. I chose 3" arms due to Delta's Full Kit page saying they ship 3" arms with the exact same ICON stage 3 kit I have. In addition, my Hub-to-Fender measurement aligned with recommendation per website. (3" lift = 3" arms, 5" lift = 5" arms). In other comments (somewhere), Dave mentioned he prefers more caster for stability and they have shipped 4" or 5" radius arms with the ICON kit.

I ordered before I did this additional research. In retrospect, I might have gone with 5" arms to have more caster (especially as I'm currently sitting at 3.5" on the front), but I'm generally not experienced to know whether I prefer Stock or Additional Caster. I took the safe route as I remember the truck driving nicely when it was stock.
This is almost exactly my setup and I am also waiting on 3" Standard Length Arms from Delta. I haven't done anything with the driveshaft yet though, waiting to see if I get vibes after I install the arms and then I'd go the same route as you if I did.

My Hub to Fender measurement is 23-3/4" Front and 23-7/8" Rear. That's factory F/R bumpers.

My caster at that height is about -2.7*. In my research, I believe the 3" Delta arms correct somewhere in the range of 5.5* to 6* of caster, so I should end up somewhere around 3* after the arms. Also, like you, I expect that will get a little better after I mount a front winch and rear tire carrier, should get a little sag and raise the caster a bit more as well.

From different Thread, if stock caster = 3 deg and a 3" loses 5.3 deg of caster....then that checks out for you being at -2.7deg at ~4" lift.

I read the chart as caster from arm = (Loss at Height) + 1.1 deg.
If that's correct...then 3" arms provide (5.3) + (1.1) = 6.4 deg of caster total.

1667509527731.png

From different Thread, if stock caster = 3 deg and a 3" loses 5.3 deg of caster....then that checks out for you being at -2.7deg at ~4" lift.

I read the chart as caster from arm = (Loss at Height) + 1.1 deg.
If that's correct...then 3" arms provide (5.3) + (1.1) = 6.4 deg of caster total.

View attachment 3158261
That's a good summary. Seeing that, I agree with what you're saying about 5.3* + 1.1* = 6.4*.

That would be great if I could get in the 3.5*-4* caster.

I feel more confused now that ever. Here are a few measurements that I took.

Ground that I measured on
Ground.jpg

Radius arm mount
Arm mount.jpg

Flat spot on axle that is parallel to 3rd member bolting face
Flat on axle.jpg

Output of 3rd member (the flat where the driveshaft mounts to)
3rd Output.jpg

Last edited:
I'm at ~2.25" center hub to fender + Delta 4 regular length arms = 4 degrees positive both sides, look ma no hands driving at 80 mph

Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 3.07.01 PM.png

Again, this is pretty convoluted... there is no reason there shouldn't be a specified caster gain on each arm, clearly documented
Lighten up Francis……. It’s a landcruiser no at corvette.

I'm at ~2.25" center hub to fender + Delta 4 regular length arms = 4 degrees positive both sides, look ma no hands driving at 80 mph

View attachment 3162239
What he means is, are you at a 2.25” lift as measured from coh to bof? Then yes the math would be around 4* positive caster. What is your front panhard axle bolt to frame bolt measurement? And do you have actual caster numbers from an alignment?
Also hard to believe that you don’t have driveline vibes at a lift under 2.5” and caster around 4*
But lucky you I guess!

I feel more confused now that ever. Here are a few measurements that I took.

Ground that I measured on
View attachment 3162218

Radius arm mount
View attachment 3162222

Flat spot on axle that is parallel to 3rd member bolting face
View attachment 3162238

Output of 3rd member (the flat where the driveshaft mounts to)
View attachment 3162232
I think you are measuring the rear pinion angle? If so great just buy som upper or lower adj arms and match that number at the transfer case to avoid rear vibes. If the ds angle at the transfer is over 10* you’ll need a rear dc shaft.
As for the caster just go get an alignment as it sits now. You can’t measure off the rad arm mount. You can get close my taking an angle at the knuckle top and bottom studs but the real number comes from the caster sweep from the alignment machine.
At this point you might want to start a dedicated thread to your situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom