Valve cover torque - 1974 F engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello.......I am changing the valve cover gasket and valve side cover gasket on my '74 FJ40 (F engine), and my manual doesn't specify what the torque is for either. It's probably on here somewhere but I'm not having much luck searching. I plan to change the oil pan gasket as well, and the manual does state the torque for those bolts is 4-9 ft. lbs. I also have a question about using any type of RTV or sealer on the gaskets. I am using Fel-Pro Blue Stripe cork-rubber, and I believe they are supposed to be installed dry, but just want to make sure. I have read that for the oil pan gasket though, RTV should be used where the flat of the pan meets the saddle. Thanks ahead of time.

Don't know where I got it but in my notes, I have 35 inch pounds and it’s what I use.

I stick the oem cork gasket to my 74 steel cover with Permatex & use Sil-Glyde between the gasket & head. I can remove & replace the valve cover many times on the same gasket without leaks. Makes it nice for a quick check on the valves. Fortunately my cover is in good shape with no distortions.

Don't know where I got it but in my notes, I have 35 inch pounds and it’s what I use.

I stick the oem cork gasket to my 74 steel cover with Permatex & use Sil-Glyde between the gasket & head. I can remove & replace the valve cover many times on the same gasket without leaks. Makes it nice for a quick check on the valves. Fortunately my cover is in good shape with no distortions.
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll try the 35 inch pounds. Do you use Ultra Black Permatex?

Do you use Ultra Black Permatex?
Permatex High Tack gasket sealant. Brought a few cans home from work years ago. Sticky and messy but served me well. I'm sure there's other gasket sealants that would be fine also.

Even though the cover has tabs to hold the gasket outwards to the edge lip, I've found the cork gasket still likes to creep inwards. That's another reason I like sticking the gasket on before installing the cover. I came up with this setup. Stick it on and poke it outwards to the outer lip while retaining it in place with the plexiglass and then add some weight over night to set up.

VlvCvrGskt 02.jpg

Even though the cover has tabs to hold the gasket outwards to the edge lip, I've found the cork gasket still likes to creep inwards. That's another reason I like sticking the gasket on before installing the cover. I came up with this setup. Stick it on and poke it outwards to the outer lip while retaining it in place with the plexiglass and then add some weight over night to set up.

View attachment 3161488
That's a great setup. I'll have to rig up something similar. I do have a can of High Tack in my garage.......been using it for some of the other thinner gaskets I've been replacing, just didn't know if I should use it on a cork gasket. Thank you very much for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom