2F Engine Rotation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey yall, newbie home mechanic here who has very little knowledge on engines but currently working on a 1975 FJ40. I got my 2F engine rebuilt and have it in the rig and I am trying to get the engine at TDC on the 1st Cylinder on the compression stroke however I have no idea which way the crank should be rotating. I currently have been rotating it clockwise if you are looking at the front of the engine down. Let me know if I have been doing this wrong the entire time.
20221104_170009.jpg

You got it! Clockwise when looking at it from the front. You are going to get a lot of help here. There are many really knowledgeable folks on IH8mud.

Oh hell yeah! That helps me a ton thank you!

Hopefully you or someone else can answer these other questions I have below-

1: We want the intake to be closed for TDC correct?
2: Do I have the rockers labeled correctly below for the 1st cylinder? (Blue "Ex" is exhaust, Red "In" is intake)

Much appreciate the help!!

20221104_171229.jpg

Yes you marked the valves right. And with #1 at TDC on compression stroke both valves need to be closed (rockers should wiggle a bit).

Yes you marked the valves right. And with #1 at TDC on compression stroke both valves need to be closed (rockers should wiggle a bit).
When doing this "cold" adj the rockers should exhibit the "wiggle"-in conformance to the gauge clearance for the intake/exhaust-as middlecalf said-better to have that 'wiggle" a little loose than too tight--it'll get tight when the engine gets up to op temp--then you can check again when hot(best to do while the engine is running)--too tight and you risk burnt valves--a tiny bit of rocker 'rattle' is not going to result in a valve job down the road---

Anybody have numbers that have proved close for a preliminary cold adjustment?

This

When doing this "cold" adj the rockers should exhibit the "wiggle"-a little loose than too tight

then you can check again when hot(best to do while the engine is running)--too tight and you risk burnt valves--a tiny bit of rocker 'rattle' is not going to result in a valve job down the road---

No, just set it to the book specs, they don't change much from hot to cold on these engines.
Run engine to operating temp once or twice, then retorque head bolts, mani bolts and readjust valves.

Im in the middle of doing this, and at the same point @Kuda picture is in post 3. Like in that picture, my cam/crank marks are lined up and also like in that photo, rockers 7 and 9 have their springs compressed. How do you adjust those? The book says Cylinder #1 should be at TDC/compression. However, I think the position in the photo its #1TDC/Exhaust and #6 TDC compression? If I rotate the nut 360 it should flip the two to where the books wants me to be in fig 3-57? Can anyone confirm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom