Long Range America Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking into a 24/40 gallon LRA tank and was wondering if anyone had experience with any shop in the RDU area for installation. At this point, I don't trust myself to install given all the issues I have read about with charcoal canister, etc and was hoping to get a successful installation complete the first time using a reliable shop who have done it before. LRA recommended Main Line Overland, but I have never used them as they're several hours from me. I thought Budbuilt installed them, but I may be mistaken. I would be willing to drive for the right shop (4 hours from OTRAMM/ 2.5 from Main Line/ 2.5 from Budbuilt), but don't want to drive and end up with a bad experience if possible.

Has anyone used a shop they'd recommend who did it right the first time? Thanks for your time.

I doubt you'll find a shop that has installed a LRA tank in Raleigh, but you could try TEQ Customs. They are new and I don't personally know anyone that has used them. This seems like the kind of work they are aiming for.

So, I am waiting for my tank to come in for my 80 series and am having it installed by Main Line Overland. All purchased 10/6/22 and waiting for the tank. I have heard good things about their installation, and as you said, they are recommended by LRA. I will post results once it happens. I plan to drive the truck there and stay overnight to make sure everything is straight for the drive back home. Without a lift, I was a little daunted by the DIY installation.

I doubt you'll find a shop that has installed a LRA tank in Raleigh, but you could try TEQ Customs. They are new and I don't personally know anyone that has used them. This seems like the kind of work they are aiming for.

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I saw their website a while back and didn't know if they've had their hands on any 200 platforms vs just a lot of Taco's/4 runners.

Highly recommend OTRAMM outside of Richmond, VA. Not exactly next door, but they are also recommended by LRA and their installation work is first rate. Worth the drive IMHO.
I've only seen their youtube videos and they seem like a trustworthy outfit for sure. Have you had work done by them?

EDIT: Ryan just emailed back and said they have stopped installing long range tanks. I'm guessing that's not a good sign given the potential headaches? 😬

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back to me on this. I saw their website a while back and didn't know if they've had their hands on any 200 platforms vs just a lot of Taco's/4 runners.
Interesting...

Main Line and OTRAMM both have great reputations. I wouldn't overthink it. If LRA recommends them, then either should be fine. It can't be that complicated for a capable shop to install a LR fuel tank.

Yes, Ryan installed a 37 gal main and a 25 gal aux. I insisted on inspecting the installation from under a lift. Very nice work all around. Ryan and OTRAMM have stopped selling exhaust components due to EPA enforcement and fines related to its arcane emissions regs. Not sure if this factored into Ryan's decision.

Yes, Ryan installed a 37 gal main and a 25 gal aux. I insisted on inspecting the installation from under a lift. Very nice work all around. Ryan and OTRAMM have stopped selling exhaust components due to EPA enforcement and fines related to its arcane emissions regs. Not sure if this factored into Ryan's decision.
37 gallon main with 25 aux? THAT sounds amazing. I haven't seen a 37 gallon main as an option. Is this a Tundra conversion?

This was a significant upgrade for our '95 FZJ 80 Series. You can find this option on the LRA site. In practice I am getting a total combined capacity of about 65 gallons, which eliminates range anxiety. We use the truck for longer trips to National Parks and remote forest roads where gas is often not readily available, and the dual tanks have made a big difference.

Qualifiers - my truck has a 3" lift and OME medium springs in the back. A full gas load makes no difference to ride height. I have not added additional armor to the tanks, as we do no do any serious rock crawling. This is not an arrangement for those who aspire to regular trips to Moab/Rubicon or other serious off road trails. That said, the 24 gal aux tank tucks up nicely in the spare tire cavity and has no effect upon departure angle.

Final note: when the Colonial Pipeline was shut down last year, gas stations in our area went dry in 2-3 days. I keep the LRA tanks topped off with non-ethanol gas mixed with fuel stabilizer. In the event of another shutdown the LRA tanks can be used as backup fuel for our generator or other vehicles.

This was a significant upgrade for our '95 FZJ 80 Series. You can find this option on the LRA site. In practice I am getting a total combined capacity of about 65 gallons, which eliminates range anxiety. We use the truck for longer trips to National Parks and remote forest roads where gas is often not readily available, and the dual tanks have made a big difference.

Qualifiers - my truck has a 3" lift and OME medium springs in the back. A full gas load makes no difference to ride height. I have not added additional armor to the tanks, as we do no do any serious rock crawling. This is not an arrangement for those who aspire to regular trips to Moab/Rubicon or other serious off road trails. That said, the 24 gal aux tank tucks up nicely in the spare tire cavity and has no effect upon departure angle.

Final note: when the Colonial Pipeline was shut down last year, gas stations in our area went dry in 2-3 days. I keep the LRA tanks topped off with non-ethanol gas mixed with fuel stabilizer. In the event of another shutdown the LRA tanks can be used as backup fuel for our generator or other vehicles.
Great info. One installer recommended the 24 gallon tank over the 40 for the departure angle detriment you mentioned.

I remember the Colonial pipeline vividly. Only time I had to verify I would have a full tank of gas on delivery of a new car purchase. What type of syphon are you using to get the fuel from the tank for your genny, etc?

I have a number of syphons, all manual. The one that works best has a squeeze bulb that gets it going pretty well. Open to recommendations if you have any suggestions. One issue is to test the tubing prior to use, and make sure that it will fit through the top of the filler neck. My first hose was a bit too large.

Great info. One installer recommended the 24 gallon tank over the 40 for the departure angle detriment you mentioned.

I remember the Colonial pipeline vividly. Only time I had to verify I would have a full tank of gas on delivery of a new car purchase. What type of syphon are you using to get the fuel from the tank for your genny, etc?
I should research before posting but…..

I think the 40 (aka 37g) tank is only for the main tank location. The smaller 24 fits in the back in the spare location. IIRC the 40g main hangs about 4” below stock so it would be belly clearance in concern vs departure angle.

There is a 40 gal aux option that hangs about 4" below the rails. The 37/40 gal replacement main is approximately flush with the rails, but presents a large target if you are crawling large rocks.

Thanks for all the info on this subject. I have often thought about this option since I currently only have just under 200 mile range with the stock tank.
I think the stock tank replacement for a bigger version would be an awesome upgrade and an easy compromise to solve the range issue I have with the stock tank.

Given the interest in this subject I went out and took some pictures. And I stand corrected. The 37/40 gal main tank does hang down about three inches past the rails. The 24 aux sits about 6" above the diff (with a 3" lift). It is tapered towards the rear so that it is flush with the rails.

OTRAMM added additional armor to the rear tank for a customer who was intending to do serious rock crawling.

Tank 1.jpg

tank 2.jpg

tank 3.jpg

linked for anyone looking into this in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom