My 2004 LX470 Purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, just picked up a 2004 Lexus LX470 with 106,099 miles on it. Essentially 1 owner, original owner passed and their next of kin sold it to me immediately.

2nd pic.jpg

First step was to address the wheels as within a week I had a flat tire. Not the greatest experience right off the bat.

first flat.jpg

Found out it was due to a crack in the wheel itself...

cracked wheel.jpg

After a quick trip to a local IH8MUD member’s garage I got a nice full set of replacement wheels.

first wheel install.jpg

Other than that I got a handful of common issues I guess.

1. Power antenna doesn't fully retract, it works... but not completely.
  2. Radio - no sound...
    1. Bad amp based on my recent searches?
  3. Steering wheel shimmy around 60 - 70 MPH...
    1. Might just be poorly balanced wheels (haven't installed all the new wheels yet, just the rears for now, haven't had time)
  4. VCS TRAC / VCS OFF lights were illuminated upon purchase and keep popping the 10AMP fuse in the passenger floor if I do NOT have the mirror switch set in the middle
    1. Bad mirror motors based on recent searches?
  5. And finally fresh one for the day... couldn't go more than 24 hours without another issue... Knock Sensor CEL last night after fueling up from a 1/4 tank. P0330...
    1. Any help here would be appreciated. I cleared the code, drove about 10 miles and it hasn't appeared yet, in case it does I'd like some suggestions as I haven't found much other than in relation to 80-series issues.

If anyone can shed light on some suggestions on where to start for any of these issues I'd be happy to try it all out.

Otherwise this has been an overall pretty good purchase... I'll be updating along the way with any other issues, pictures etc.

Hello everyone, just picked up a 2004 Lexus LX470 with 106,099 miles on it. Essentially 1 owner, original owner passed and their next of kin sold it to me immediately.

View attachment 3156837

First step was to address the wheels as within a week I had a flat tire. Not the greatest experience right off the bat.

View attachment 3156842

Found out it was due to a crack in the wheel itself...

View attachment 3156844

After a quick trip to a local IH8MUD member’s garage I got a nice full set of replacement wheels.

View attachment 3156843

Other than that I got a handful of common issues I guess.

1. Power antenna doesn't fully retract, it works... but not completely.
  2. Radio - no sound...
    1. Bad amp based on my recent searches?
  3. Steering wheel shimmy around 60 - 70 MPH...
    1. Might just be poorly balanced wheels (haven't installed all the new wheels yet, just the rears for now, haven't had time)
  4. VCS TRAC / VCS OFF lights were illuminated upon purchase and keep popping the 10AMP fuse in the passenger floor if I do NOT have the mirror switch set in the middle
    1. Bad mirror motors based on recent searches?
  5. And finally fresh one for the day... couldn't go more than 24 hours without another issue... Knock Sensor CEL last night after fueling up from a 1/4 tank. P0330...
    1. Any help here would be appreciated. I cleared the code, drove about 10 miles and it hasn't appeared yet, in case it does I'd like some suggestions as I haven't found much other than in relation to 80-series issues.

If anyone can shed light on some suggestions on where to start for any of these issues I'd be happy to try it all out.

Otherwise this has been an overall pretty good purchase... I'll be updating along the way with any other issues, pictures etc.
Check your control arms and front suspension before getting the alignment and new tires done. Like you said, could be the bad rim causing that shimmy as well.

My entire truck starting shaking around 55 to 60 mph, found the driveshaft needed to be replaced.

welcome to the forum. i will add my thoughts:

1. Common failure. you can either shove it down and unplug it (what i did). or you can replaced the retractable part, there are videos on youtube of how to do it.
2. THe mark Levinson amps have a history of failing in certain years. you might be best off to replace with aftermarket, depending on your skill level
3. Try rotating your tires front to back to at least rule out the tire imbalance
4. try removing the switch and cleaning with contact cleaner first
5. could be nothing at all, see if the code comes back. Could be wiring, the knock sensor itself, or other

That's a lot of issues on day 1, especially for a low-mileage vehicle. Those tires look old. Definitely a good idea to get that problem out of the way first. And, obviously the cracked rim(s).

FYI, that's not a 2004 grill. It's a pre '03 grill.... and I don't think they are compatible.

welcome to the forum. i will add my thoughts:

1. Common failure. you can either shove it down and unplug it (what i did). or you can replaced the retractable part, there are videos on youtube of how to do it.
2. THe mark Levinson amps have a history of failing in certain years. you might be best off to replace with aftermarket, depending on your skill level
3. Try rotating your tires front to back to at least rule out the tire imbalance
4. try removing the switch and cleaning with contact cleaner first
5. could be nothing at all, see if the code comes back. Could be wiring, the knock sensor itself, or other

I'm planning on replacing it asap, along with the amp. Any suggestions for aftermarket brands that are considerable? I've done some researching but haven't found anything that's jumped out at me regarding other brands, only repairing the original. I'm more than willing to do the work myself.

Regarding the wheels I'll be replacing the wheels entirely tomorrow morning so that should take care of any imbalance. Hoping it fixes some of the shimmy in the steering wheel at the same time.

I'll definitely give it a shot regarding contact cleaner, seems worthwhile.

Cleared the code, came back again today after about 20 miles of freeway. Honestly no engine performance difference, no changes in power, still shifts to 5th gear (read that some people had an issue similar but wouldn't allow shifting to 5th in addition to the knock CEL)

That's a lot of issues on day 1, especially for a low-mileage vehicle. Those tires look old. Definitely a good idea to get that problem out of the way first. And, obviously the cracked rim(s).
Arizona heat, believe it or not date code says they're only 3 years old. No rust, but damn does it turn rubber brittle quick.

I truly got a killer deal on the vehicle based on their current listing prices, even considering the issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom