Help with DeSmog !! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just bought 82 FJ 60 . It’s bone stock . It runs pretty good . It has a small exhaust manifold leak and the gasket for the EGR valve is pretty much gone . It does ping when going over a bridge or over pass . I know this subject has been beat to death . I’m seriously considering desmogging it. I’m looking for guys with actual experience doing this . I read over the info on this site a couple times. Some of the pics are hard to make out . Any help or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

I just bought 82 FJ 60 . It’s bone stock . It runs pretty good . It has a small exhaust manifold leak and the gasket for the EGR valve is pretty much gone . It does ping when going over a bridge or over pass . I know this subject has been beat to death . I’m seriously considering desmogging it. I’m looking for guys with actual experience doing this . I read over the info on this site a couple times. Some of the pics are hard to make out . Any help or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
There’s a great desmog write up/manual. It goes step by step through the entire thing. This was one of my first projects on the lc. Just dig around and you’ll find it.

I’m seriously considering desmogging it. I’m looking for guys with actual experience doing this . I read over the info on this site a couple times. Some of the pics are hard to make out . Any help or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

I've de-smogged my 40, and have been very happy with it. The smog equipment is old and complicated, and the rubber and plastic pieces are prone to heat brittleness and subsequent failure. Removing it made it easier to diagnose timing/distributor/ excessive heat problems that I was having. Also cleans up the engine bay, gives you more room to work in there, and makes everything simpler. The main thing is, commit to doing it right and doing it completely - too many people do it half-assed or partially.

These two threads are the best resources in my opinion:

My Desmog Keeping HAC Lots of Pics - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/my-desmog-keeping-hac-lots-of-pics.440288/

The Definitive 79-80 Desmog Guide - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-definitive-79-80-desmog-guide.812197/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom