1997 FzJ80 - Windshield Gasket Replacement Question (US Market Gas with Non-Metal Clip) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1997 FzJ80

While at the shop to chase down some electrical gremlins, the tech noticed that I have a **tiny** spot of bubbling on the outside of the black windshield gasket on the PS...we then noticed it on the DS also as well - both of these spots being raised barely enough to notice, but the gasket itself is SUPER hard, almost brittle and "most likely" needs to be replaced in general. After some searching under the dash, it's been concluded that I'm getting water in from these spots and it's causing some corrosion, possibly the cause of my electrical woes, and pooling on the floorboards. So...I have an appointment on 11/14 with a good (recommended from my LC shop) glass place that has experience with this exact issue and will replace the gasket and NOT replace the glass since it's not needed.

I've been researching the correct part number for the gasket since I don't have the metal clip around the windshield...other threads note I should use the non-metal clip gasket...the gasket that uses the metal clip has an extra "ledge" apparently so I should use part # 56121-60100

It's currently $79 ($108 total with shipping) on ToyotaPartsDeal, which I have no problems using...but my question is this:

QUESTION: Is the listed gasket on RockAuto just as good? It's $55.79 (with shipping about $65) but I want to make sure it's at least close to quality.

Has anyone used this RockAuto gasket? I am trying to go OEM as much as possible, usually with parts like plugs, wires, thermostat, and the like...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
It's still a pretty critical piece to skimp on. Go OEM. That being said, it is just a hunk of rubber. I would think a lesser quality rubber would degrade in UV faster than a high quality made in japan piece would.
The more important aspect of replacement is polyurethane adhesive being used between the glass and the rubber, and the rubber and the body. As discussed many a time here.

It's still a pretty critical piece to skimp on. Go OEM. That being said, it is just a hunk of rubber. I would think a lesser quality rubber would degrade in UV faster than a high quality made in japan piece would.
The more important aspect of replacement is polyurethane adhesive being used between the glass and the rubber, and the rubber and the body. As discussed many a time here.
Thanks.

And yeah, this shop is well informed on what the LC gasket needs...they've done a lot of these and I have complete faith in my LC shop pointing me to them.

:)

Need to ask the shop directly if they know the Factory method to install the glass, don't assume anything. Ask them what adhesive/sealant they use and if they apply it to both the gasket and glass, and gasket to the body.

Has the windshield been replaced in the past? If you're not sure look
at the bottom corners of the windshield glass, if it says Toyota it may still be
the original, if it says anything else (Pilkington, Fuyao, ---) then it's been replaced.

If the glass has been replaced in the past, that's the most common cause of rust coming out from under the gasket as to remove the old gasket and sealant the shops use utility knives that also cut into the paint down to the metal.

If you see "bubbles" in the paint around the windshield gasket you likely have much more rust under the gasket. I would talk to a body shop and try to line one up if the glass shop finds that the rust is significant. I would not expect a glass installation shop to know how to correctly do body work.

FWIW

You own a Land Cruiser and you're worried about $40? Please go OEM and make sure they follow the FSM. Good luck. Hope they can get the glass out without damage.

No need to be rude 👍
Unlike a lot of members, I don’t have the luxury of dual income so, yeah, if I can save a few bucks, I will. Most everything I’m updating with my baseline is OEM, but the question was in quality of the RockAuto version and if it was close to OEM quality, not NEEDING to save $40. Saving $40 is a bonus.

Need to ask the shop directly if they know the Factory method to install the glass, don't assume anything. Ask them what adhesive/sealant they use and if they apply it to both the gasket and glass, and gasket to the body.

Has the windshield been replaced in the past? If you're not sure look
at the bottom corners of the windshield glass, if it says Toyota it may still be
the original, if it says anything else (Pilkington, Fuyao, ---) then it's been replaced.

If the glass has been replaced in the past, that's the most common cause of rust coming out from under the gasket as to remove the old gasket and sealant the shops use utility knives that also cut into the paint down to the metal.

If you see "bubbles" in the paint around the windshield gasket you likely have much more rust under the gasket. I would talk to a body shop and try to line one up if the glass shop finds that the rust is significant. I would not expect a glass installation shop to know how to correctly do body work.

FWIW

Thanks!

Window is Toyota glass…in fact, ALL the glass is Toyota glass. The shop commented on how rare (for them) to see a Cruiser come in with all original factory glass to be there.

The shop I’m going to for the gasket has specific knowledge of how to R/R the Land Cruiser glass and they know about the adhesive and bonding process…the two specific guys I was told to ask for have done many land cruisers per the FSM.

Gasket also appears to be original and it’s brittle…like super brittle.

Thanks! 👍👍

Thanks!

Window is Toyota glass…in fact, ALL the glass is Toyota glass. The shop commented on how rare (for them) to see a Cruiser come in with all original factory glass to be there.

The shop I’m going to for the gasket has specific knowledge of how to R/R the Land Cruiser glass and they know about the adhesive and bonding process…the two specific guys I was told to ask for have done many land cruisers per the FSM.

Gasket also appears to be original and it’s brittle…like super brittle.

Thanks! 👍👍
Yes, get the OEM gasket.

Rubber compounds vary widely and even if it's the same shape and size, rubber products made in specific other countries are known to have very poor UV resistance and will either "melt" or get hard and brittle in a very short time.

I would NOT skimp on this particular item.

Yes, get the OEM gasket.

Rubber compounds vary widely and even if it's the same shape and size, rubber products made in specific other countries are known to have very poor UV resistance and will either "melt" or get hard and brittle in a very short time.

I would NOT skimp on this particular item.
Yeah, after reading everyone's advice (and listening to my gut), I'm going with the OEM.

It's never been a matter of cost...just wanted to make sure and hear if anyone had used the Rock Auto and if it was equal to OEM.

But yeah, ordering it today. I have an appointment set for 11/14 for R/R of the gasket. Until then, she's tarped...because we're now into the rain season in the PNW.

Thanks!

No need to be rude 👍
Unlike a lot of members, I don’t have the luxury of dual income so, yeah, if I can save a few bucks, I will. Most everything I’m updating with my baseline is OEM, but the question was in quality of the RockAuto version and if it was close to OEM quality, not NEEDING to save $40. Saving $40 is a bonus.
You asked a question and got a answer:meh:

You get what you pay for! Go with the OEM. Think of it as saving money by not having to do it twice ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom