Wanted 25/Early 40 FST Type B Bows and Doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for Type B bows and/or doors for a '63 FJ40 (rounded door frames).

Or a loaner set to have copied here in the bay area. Also willing to entertain the idea of having them reproduced at a shop local to you and have them shipped to me upon completion.

Trying to surprise my old man with a set on his 70th next fall.

where in Norcal are you? I have a set but not for sale
East Bay/ Walnut Creek Area

Yeah I don't blame you! I'm hoping to at least have a set made to match the originals. Even if it's a shop more local to someone like you who has a set and doesn't want them too far out of sight. I would compensate for any time spent going to/from the shop, too, if you want to be able to keep tabs.

Also hoping whoever does it keeps notes for the next person in my position!

The early ones are definitely unique and I have never seen another set. I contemplated making the Chanel and a few of the brackets. The tubing is very similar to the later ones. So I thought I could convert a newer set to look like a older set. I have a 64fst and a 63fst. Both need lots of work.

CAD274C7-B102-450E-AF9E-B24A84F3BC0D.jpeg

F0B33395-5210-4801-A060-E6CC6D97D574.jpeg

0CC6CFFB-E095-453E-ACED-F055AA98A87C.jpeg

FBAB0DFC-2001-4BC2-A15A-17A18EEEAF5E.jpeg

42B187F8-A371-4DDD-92B7-5F610BC2FA5A.jpeg

How's this effort going? I have some bows on a 1962 FJ40 FST I'm not selling but you could look at them. They were tweeked to turn the rig a hardtop, but mostly all there. I'm in Eugene OR now.

Last edited:
How's this effort going? I have some bows on a 1962 FJ40 FST I'm not selling but you could look at them. They were tweeked to turn the rig a hardtop, but mostly all there. I'm in Eugene OR now.
Hey, thanks for reaching out! I think I've got a lead relatively local to me here in northern California. We'll see how the next few weeks pan out...

Do you have the channel pieces that go around the soft top door? They seem to be the hardest parts to find.

I believe so. Am sorting out what was Mr. T's welding and what the PO's.
@Blackcat37, where these parts welded as shown? I suspected as much.
1666985734470.png

I'm still looking for the soft top door "skeletons". Either of you have a set of those that we can try to get reproduced as well?

Do you have the channel pieces that go around the soft top door? They seem to be the hardest parts to find.

A member had a sheet metal shop reproduce the bends for the around the door pieces. Not sure if they were all used or not. As I remember the shop was not interested making a second batch. Could get pictures of them. Still have my set stored away.

A member had a sheet metal shop reproduce the bends for the around the door pieces. Not sure if they were all used or not. As I remember the shop was not interested making a second batch. Could get pictures of them. Still have my set stored away.
I would like to see them thanks

I would like to see them thanks

They are at another location. Will be there this week. Have a few things to check. Pictures of some early Husky lock out hubs. Same with a couple early three speed/transfer case combos. In my garage full of old and forgotten parts.
20211031_140757.jpg

Can see them in this picture between the two stacks of seats.
IMG_20200206_141423772.jpg
K9

Snapped some pictures of the raw stock that was produced years ago.

Assume the side just need to be cut so size, the welded to the tube. Was not continuous welded just small sections on each side. The top is it own piece. Need to weld on the front angle piece that is a separate piece on later soft top bows.
PXL_20221108_150611845.jpg
PXL_20221108_150456082.jpg
PXL_20221108_150225116.jpg
PXL_20221108_150220459.jpg

Assume the side just need to be cut so size, the welded to the tube. Was not continuous welded just small sections on each side. The top is it own piece. Need to weld on the front angle piece that is a separate piece on later soft top bows.
View attachment 3163127View attachment 3163128View attachment 3163129View attachment 3163131
@Living in the Past, any chance you would be willing to part with those? Either permanently or temporarily if I can find a shop willing to reproduce a set?

Those

View attachment 3163127View attachment 3163128View attachment 3163129View attachment 3163131
those look amazing. I would like to bend some up like this but finding a shop to bend it hasn’t been easy.

Those

those look amazing. I would like to bend some up like this but finding a shop to bend it hasn’t been easy.

That was the problem for Jim @Cruiser_Nerd had. The shop that did the first batch wasn't interest in doing another. This was probably fifteen years ago. Since Covid it has made everything even harder. Have a friend in Australia with a project to make 40 series top covers for the H55F five speed transmission. It was on track to get done until the Covid shut down. Now finding a shop capable and willing to do the work has stalled the project. Businesses can pick and choose what they want to do. Small specialty projects seems to be a casualty of this.

There is a thread in the 25 section titled FJ25 and early FJ40 soft top project. Started in 2005. The actual group buy never happened. Been other failed attempts. Always been behind the eight ball for small projects, it's just gotten a lot worse since Covid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom