Refilling wiper blades with new Toyota rubber (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scottm

SILVER Star
Threads
Rubber refill is available online, Toyota part numbers, but I can't find which part number for a '21 200. Passenger side rubber has ripped at 40k. I prefer not to replace the whole blade assemblies. I've ordered and used Toyota rubber refills on my boat windshield wipers, works great.

1666139077509.jpeg

I used these on my ‘17, which will be same for a ‘21. I get them from a dealer to avoid counterfeits.

Right 85214-0T040
Left 85214-06140
Rear 85214-42040

Thanks, the parts lady was impressed those were the right numbers. Probably should be under warranty, I'll bug them about that later.$50 for three bits of rubber

If I do the warranty now, all they have is aftermarket blades to put on. Once they have the rubber in stock I can negotiate

Simple task, but much easier if you take the blades off and do it on a table. I didn't see a way to take the rear blade or arm off easily, so I pulled the rubber out in-place.

Blades come off easily, lift the tab and slide the metal blade along the arm toward the pivot point.

1666722007838.png

1666722092414.png

Less than two years old, late summer in Michigan, I've never had a wiper fail like this.

1666722163072.png
1666722192107.png

Rear wiper rubber, just bent it enough to clear the stop at the end of the wiper blade.

1666722538327.png

Not much to swapping the rubber, just slide it out. One end of each windshield wiper rubber has a formed notch to hold it in place. Lay the blade down, slide rubber out, lay it next to the new rubber with the notch at the same end. Swap the spring steel exactly as in the original rubber, they have specific curve and notches that need to go the right way. The rear wipers seem to have no notches or curve to the spring, I guess they go together any way.

1666722945813.png

Dealer ordered these for me, didn't know they would get a bag of each length. Now they have a lifetime supply they said, but I'll be buying a set every two years. Or less if they don't hold up. Under warranty, they would have put aftermarket blades on, no thanks.

Out of curiosity, what is the advantage in using OEM inserts? Other than keeping it OEM? I've found the leaf-type blade holders create hot spots on the windshield under the contact points and wear faster. Beam-type blades don't have this problem and are super quick to R&R.

That said, I do keep the OE blade holders in my '200 Parts Box', just for posterity's sake.

I used these on my ‘17, which will be same for a ‘21. I get them from a dealer to avoid counterfeits.

Right 85214-0T040
Left 85214-06140
Rear 85214-42040
My local Toyota dealer seems to have sold me the wrong (or counterfeit) wiper assemblies multiple times for my 4Runner. Kept trying to replace the blades with genuine inserts and they wouldn't fit. Had a suspicion and ordered the wiper assemblies from parts.olathetoyota.com and found the assemblies were now identical to those on my newer 200. If your blades have the sombrero bean logo on them, they may be counterfeit. Even if they came from the dealer...
Out of curiosity, what is the advantage in using OEM inserts? Other than keeping it OEM? I've found the leaf-type blade holders create hot spots on the windshield under the contact points and wear faster. Beam-type blades don't have this problem and are super quick to R&R.

That said, I do keep the OE blade holders in my '200 Parts Box', just for posterity's sake.
I find they work really well and last a long time. Tried many different blades on the 4R and they never quite matched how well the OEM stuff worked.

My local Toyota dealer seems to have sold me the wrong (or counterfeit) wiper assemblies multiple times for my 4Runner. Kept trying to replace the blades with genuine inserts and they wouldn't fit. Had a suspicion and ordered the wiper assemblies from parts.olathetoyota.com and found the assemblies were now identical to those on my newer 200. If your blades have the sombrero bean logo on them, they may be counterfeit. Even if they came from the dealer...
My local dealer does not sell the original assemblies if I want to replace the entire assembly, or have them replaced under warranty. They are "Toyota" replacements, but not Toyota, and apparently that is how it is done nationwide. That is why I wanted to replace the rubber, and didn't bother with the warranty. The original assemblies are excellent. The replacements might be very good, I didn't try them.

Raining all day, the replacements are an incredible improvement over the 2-yr-old performance. I may have to go buy the rest of their stock, and find a way to preserve them.

The stock 200 blades are more like a hybrid between frame and beam. The metal spring beams that have to be removed from the rubber and put in the new, are curved like modern beam blades. I've not encountered that before. The frame holds that beam with equal force along the length, helping the beam conform as the blade sweeps over a varying curve, something single-point beams lack.

I've tried the top-tier beam blades from each maker, they do well, but it isn't possible for them to conform equally to the different curves of windshields. They are more minimalist, and aerodynamic, and don't get ice in their hinges. But the 200 blade is low with chunky hinges that haven't frozen or stuck so far, pretty impressive for the driving I do around the bottom of Lake Michigan all winter.

1666743871916.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom