Non-powered fixed AM/FM antenna for 80 series - do they exist ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who can tell me if this is the Toyota standard factory AM/FM antenna base for an 80 series without a power antenna?

This is on a spare LHS front fender aka outer guard I've recently obtained, and it's the same one my 80's existing LHS front fender panel has (but is damaged).

Having trouble finding anything in Toyodiy that appears to match. Perhaps it's an aftermarket Aussie-made thing from the 1990's.

Screenshot_20221025-170719.png

I saw that in Toyodiy but nothing that matches the two identical antenna bases as per the one I pictured the top and bottom of. The antenna from Toyota isn't a 'fixed' antenna as such because it's collapsible into itself exactly like a power antenna but just doesn't have a motor to 'drive' it up or down.

Hmmm

I saw that in Toyodiy but nothing that matches the two identical antenna bases as per the one I pictured the top and bottom of. The antenna from Toyota isn't a 'fixed' antenna as such because it's collapsible into itself exactly like a power antenna but just doesn't have a motor to 'drive' it up or down.

Hmmm

The one you pictured is universal aftermarket, so unlikely you'll find it in toyodiy

The one I linked is "fixed".
If you choose to leave it in the raised position, it's fixed in that position until you change it.
If you want to lower it for a car wash, or off road driving, you have to physically push it in.

I have another Non - oem alternative..

I use this as my APRS antenna, since I never used the FM/AM antenna

Just a though, the common failure of the factory power antenna is the plastic cable inside the housing that drives the power antenna up and down. So why couldn't you just remove the broken or stripped plastic cable from inside the antenna housing, reinstall the telescoping part of the antenna and then extend and lower it manually? I'm thinking since the body of the telescoping antenna is still making contact with the antenna housing it should still work to pick up radio stations, right?

I thought there was one. I thought I ordered one. Now I’m going to have to go through my stash and see if it was for the 80……too many random parts stashed in the walls of my garage.

This is good info. What do you do if one of the previous owners was an idjit and cut the antenna cable? Aside from tracking them down and punishing them...LOL

I went through that, I wanted to whip the PO with an antenna, I ended up just putting a rubber universal stubby one in its place. Electric taped the new end to the leftover input wire on the back of the radio, made it as thin as I could but still strong enough to pull through the fender with what was left of the wire in there.....it was a disaster but I got it done. Afterwards I yelled "F yea" a few times and fist pumped in my warehouse by myself like I just won the Toyota jackass Olympics.....

I went through that, I wanted to whip the PO with an antenna, I ended up just putting a rubber universal stubby one in its place. Electric taped the new end to the leftover input wire on the back of the radio, made it as thin as I could but still strong enough to pull through the fender with what was left of the wire in there.....it was a disaster but I got it done. Afterwards I yelled "F yea" a few times and fist pumped in my warehouse by myself like I just won the Toyota jackass Olympics.....

A 4-5 ft length of 8 gauge fencing wire did the trick on my 105 series for years

Shove fencing wire into the guts of the old stem, squeeze with pliers. Bob's your mother's brother.

A 4-5 ft length of 8 gauge fencing wire did the trick on my 105 series for years

Shove fencing wire into the guts of the old stem, squeeze with pliers. Bob's your mother's brother.

The old stem wasn't in there, nothing was in there the entire fender was empty other than a tiny bit of wire still going to the back of the head unit.....I had made a thread about it and everyone was as stumped as I was as to wtf happened.....

The old stem wasn't in there, nothing was in there the entire fender was empty other than a tiny bit of wire still going to the back of the head unit.....I had made a thread about it and everyone was as stumped as I was as to wtf happened.....

Welp, you found it how much fun it was to replace. I eventually changed mine or for a new one.

I reckon the last person started to replace it, got the irrits and tore the old one out in a huff!

You can use one off of a Tundra or a Tacoma. Those are fixed flexy style non-moveable antennas that keep things OEM.
I installed a Tacoma antenna but had to make a base to hold the bottom in place. Apparently I didn't get the angle right and now my antenna leans towards the driver's side. When I installed it, there wasn't a lot of room due to the inner fender.

I recently replaced my old electric unit with a new one, but was surprised at the amount of work needed to change it, having said that it did me a chance to clean up and paint the inner wing, for info see my long running thread.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom