Finally getting ready to buy the first FJ 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What you guys thinking of this? I was able to come to an agreement on the price with the owner. it's about 12 hours away from me

Another good option you'd just have to get it shipped which is pretty easy

That's a way better deal than buying one to rebuild. And he even installed the steps on the rear quarters. I love those.

Last edited:
Call me crazy but was thinking to drive up there with a friend and put it on trailer bring it back.

What are the things I have to look closer, with a changed tub to aluminum tub?

What you guys thinking of this? I was able to come to an agreement on the price with the owner. it's about 12 hours away from me

I live in AZ and wouldn't even consider an aluminum tub. But that's me. Curious about the transmission shift cane. Looks more like a V8 conversion.

I live in AZ and wouldn't even consider an aluminum tub. But that's me. Curious about the transmission shift cane. Looks more like a V8 conversion.

Living in Arizona, I don't blame you. However, on the East Coast, it's an entirely different story.

Yeh, from what I have seen aluminum tub (YouTube) requires some modification to get fit on the FJ, right, so I get what you say but living on East Coast, it's a big plus since everything rusts.

As far as I know, the car has the original engine and transmission. Could you explain why you think it looks like a V8 conversion? I still have a lot to learn.

Yeh, from what I have seen aluminum tub (YouTube) requires some modification to get fit on the FJ, right, so I get what you say but living on East Coast, it's a big plus since everything rusts.

As far as I know, the car has the original engine and transmission. Could you explain why you think it looks like a V8 conversion? I still have a lot to learn.
It has a goofy bend to it, that aparently puts 1st and 3rd way up against the dash now.

Oh I see it now I wonder the why? This is exactly why I am here 😁

This is what it needs to look like?

52022FDB-35E4-4E5A-947A-9CA8A9EA1DB5.jpeg

Correct for the 74+ four speed.
PXL_20221022_164826839.jpg
Angle and transmission cover in 74-78 and 79+.
PXL_20221022_164955667.jpg
PXL_20221022_164222787.jpg

I recently bought one from a member and had it shipped from CA to AL. It's doable and wasn't terribly expensive. I used Summit Auto Transport; a member here too.
Thanks for the info I may consider that but I just can't get myself to buy something with out seeing it in person. That's just my thing.

I saw on your post that you are retired police. I am a police Sgt in VA. How is retirement treating you? Most of our guys loving it.

Thanks for the info I may consider that but I just can't get myself to buy something with out seeing it in person. That's just my thing.

I saw on your post that you are retired police. I am a police Sgt in VA. How is retirement treating you? Most of our guys loving it.
If you find a rig you like, reach out on here and I'll bet there's a member who will be close and offer to check it out for you. One did it for me.

I'm finally enjoying retirement. I had a sick Mom to take care of and it took all of our time for a while. She went to Heaven in SEP and my wife and I have finally gotten everything settled. It's time for us to enjoy each other again. 34 years was enough in LE. I retired as a LT running the training division.

Thoughts on this one vs the other?

My advice is to list your wants amd needs and then search.
You say you have OK mechanical abilities, but then ask about 'how hard' it is to swap a tub....it involves 40 year old bolts, connectors, obsolete parts, failed rubber everything, and on and on. You should at least understand that.
Read every single build thread here. So much info to be taken in. The nuances, year differences, NA vs. SA trucks, what parts are available, who to buy parts from, and on and on need to be learned.
You say you want buy site unseen, but keep asking what we 'think' from a few pictures. We don't know either.
It's not for the faint of heart or poor people.

Thoughts on this one vs the other?
This 76 from NC all day every day, I thought of you when I saw it remembering this thread, but couldn't find it to post to it. I then saw you replied to this thread with a link to that truck and were on the right track towards getting yourself a quality FJ40.

If you want something a bit rougher around the edges, and aren't concerned as much about originality, this is a very nice looking truck from a long time well known member:

If you like that truck I would stop asking now and call the guy and make an offer. I suspect there are several guys that are ready to pay the man if they haven’t already. If that truck is as honest as it looks you likely won’t find anything nicer in original condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom