Air recirculator stuck open... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, so as the title says my air recirculator is stuck open. If I hold the button down it stays closed but once I let go it goes back to open.

Any ideas? Thanks!

any clues there?

any clues there?

Thanks Rusty didn't catch that thread, although mine is a bit different as it does open and close it just doesn't stay closed unless I hold down the button...

Found a little wrinkle to this today......so when I turn on the front defrost, not feet and window just window, the AC button also lights up even if it's not pressed and I can't turn it off unless I switch to a different mode.

Stumped here

AC comes on automatically with the defrost. Not sure what year this started on the Land Cruiser but certainly for the 1997.

AC comes on automatically with the defrost. Not sure what year this started on the Land Cruiser but certainly for the 1997.

Odd, I certainly do not recall that on my LX I had for 18 years.....haha maybe the AC light was just out the whole time.

Okay so that wrinkle is down, still can't figure out why the recirculator is stuck open unless I hold the button down....

The AC system comes on when the fan/position switch is set to defrost, but the AC light doesn't fire.
It's part of the defrost system to trigger the AC compressor so that as cabin air passes through the evaporator its dried, to make it more effective at pulling moisture off the windscreen. When another fan position other than defrost is selected the compressor shuts off.
The AC light on the controls will only light if AC is actually selected.

I haven't the foggiest notion about the recirculator door.

still can't figure out why the recirculator is stuck open unless I hold the button down

My first guess would be that the other, "flow-through" button is stuck down. I'd probably pull the climate control unit and clean it thoroughly. If that didn't fix it, I'd start probing the wires to see what signals are actually being sent from the climate controls.

The AC system comes on when the fan/position switch is set to defrost, but the AC light doesn't fire.
It's part of the defrost system to trigger the AC compressor so that as cabin air passes through the evaporator its dried, to make it more effective at pulling moisture off the windscreen. When another fan position other than defrost is selected the compressor shuts off.
The AC light on the controls will only light if AC is actually selected.

I haven't the foggiest notion about the recirculator door.

On both my 1997 LX450 and 1997 Land Cruiser when I push the defrost button the AC light comes on. Even in automatic mode with the LX450, the AC light is on when defrost is on.

On both my 1997 LX450 and 1997 Land Cruiser when I push the defrost button the AC light comes on. Even in automatic mode with the LX450, the AC light is on when defrost is on.
Guess I better pay attention to that, I'll check tonight on the drive home. :redface: I know all the other Yotas I have work as described.

My first guess would be that the other, "flow-through" button is stuck down. I'd probably pull the climate control unit and clean it thoroughly. If that didn't fix it, I'd start probing the wires to see what signals are actually being sent from the climate controls.

Thanks Gummy, I was also thinking it was maybe just the button itself but before I tore into it I wanted to ask.....figured every single possible problem with these trucks had been covered by Mud by now but I guess not.....I'll report back for the next guy either way.

Do you have a button that says AUTO? Are the LCs with AUTO different than the LXs? On my LX (auto climate) many of the buttons on the climate control panel don't actually do the switching...they simply signal the Auto Air ECU and transistors do the actual switching. I had a bad transistor that made the recirc vent constantly cycle until manually changed. I know thats not your exact situation. As stated before, when first starting (depending on the outside temp and where the temp slider is set) you may see AC and RECIRC on...moving the temp slider from min to max I see several functions change including AC, vent location and recirc/outside air.

Do you have a button that says AUTO? Are the LCs with AUTO different than the LXs? On my LX (auto climate) many of the buttons on the climate control panel don't actually do the switching...they simply signal the Auto Air ECU and transistors do the actual switching. I had a bad transistor that made the recirc vent constantly cycle until manually changed. I know thats not your exact situation. As stated before, when first starting (depending on the outside temp and where the temp slider is set) you may see AC and RECIRC on...moving the temp slider from min to max I see several functions change including AC, vent location and recirc/outside air.

No "auto" button and no setting configuration allows me to turn off the recirculator, only if I hold the button down....

On both my 1997 LX450 and 1997 Land Cruiser when I push the defrost button the AC light comes on.

Out of curiosity:

1) do you have an Auto button in the middle of the climate controls?

2) is your '97 a "40th Anniversary Edition"?

I think I've read that the 40th Anniv Edition uses the same climate setup as the LX450. I'm curious to know if the non-auto climate setups started activating AC with defrost in later years, because my '94 doesn't.

Out of curiosity:

1) do you have an Auto button in the middle of the climate controls?

2) is your '97 a "40th Anniversary Edition"?

I think I've read that the 40th Anniv Edition uses the same climate setup as the LX450. I'm curious to know if the non-auto climate setups started activating AC with defrost in later years, because my '94 doesn't.

LX450 has auto climate control as they all do.
My Land Cruiser is not a 40th or CE so it doesn't have auto climate control.

There has been discussion before as to when the AC and defrost were tied together but I can't remember the answer. I think it might just be 96/97 but maybe includes 95.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom