Sideview mirror can't stay open (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
One of my sideview mirror lost the tension and can't stay open anymore (I think there is spring mechanism missing)
Can I buy and replace this?

Thanks

There are several repair methods. Should be here on Mud. Search 80 section for mirror repair? Pretty common.

Our shop has a different way of fixing the mirrors. We made a couple custom tools for it, but it doesn't require a lot of extra parts.

I got this, now trying to install it.
However how do I actually remove mirror base.
More accurately how do I remove this (looks like this needs to be off car otherwise I can't make holes properly):
IMG_20221023_143113.jpg

I may need to remove plastic piece inside, but does it just pop? (Don't want to apply too much force, I've broken lot of door panels while working on this car)

IMG_20221023_143103.jpg

Already stripped some paint while trying to take it off.

I got this, now trying to install it.
However how do I actually remove mirror base.
More accurately how do I remove this (looks like this needs to be off car otherwise I can't make holes properly):
View attachment 3148571

I may need to remove plastic piece inside, but does it just pop? (Don't want to apply too much force, I've broken lot of door panels while working on this car)

View attachment 3148572
Already stripped some paint while trying to take it off.

To loosen the mirror base/assembly, you’ll have to remove the triangular trim piece you posted a picture of so you can get to the necessary nut. Start by prying gently at the top of the trim piece to get it loose. Trim removal tools work best and won’t damage paint like you’re experiencing.

Also, have you read the installation thread? I recommend it. Good luck!

To loosen the mirror base/assembly, you’ll have to remove the triangular trim piece you posted a picture of so you can get to the necessary nut. Start by prying gently at the top of the trim piece to get it loose. Trim removal tools work best and won’t damage paint like you’re experiencing.

Also, have you read the installation thread? I recommend it. Good luck!

Thanks for pointing installation thread I didn't read it before.
I think I've plastic prying tool, let me try with that, basically start at top is that correct? I can just pry it, right?

Thanks for pointing installation thread I didn't read it before.
I think I've plastic prying tool, let me try with that, basically start at top is that correct? I can just pry it, right?
Yes, start at the top and gently pry. I just went to the garage and was able to loosen mine (from the top) using my fingers. I don’t recommend doing that—I’m just pointing out that the top is where it’s meant to be loosened. Don’t overthink it.

Yes, start at the top and gently pry. I just went to the garage and was able to loosen mine (from the top) using my fingers. I don’t recommend doing that—I’m just pointing out that the top is where it’s meant to be loosened. Don’t overthink it.
Thank you very much. This helped.

Time to force the spring to collapse.

Thanks all, mirror is good now. Only if there is better solution for vibrating mirror that would be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom