What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (19 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

454 with some slight internal dimension changes. Never had it on a dyno but based on other builds with same/similar parts that I copied, I should be in the 600ish hp range. Hence, why I’m content with a slow cruiser….
It’s not pretty but it is fast as….. Whenever our house sells and we find a new place I’ll start the bodywork on it.
View attachment 3145541View attachment 3145543View attachment 3145542

View attachment 3145540
I like your toy collection.

Busy week…installed a new fuse block (original one of the clips broke, so every time I hit a bump a fuse would pop out - original owner had a tape deck radio installed and instead of wiring it correctly decided to clip the hot wire into the clip of the block 🤷🏻‍♂️). Thanks @ToyotaMatt for the connector style block. Was a pain, but got it set up. Also installed a RetroSounds AM/FM radio that has Bluetooth connection, so it looks old, but connects to my iPhone, allows me to make calls, etc. Also got rid of the old carpet box and replaced with new speakers on the bar, as well as put in a double USB charger and speaker amp in the glovebox. All in all a nice set up! Pics below. Next up will be to begin researching a Sniper set up…

I also found a shop on Etsy where a shop 3D printed a cup holder that fits perfectly in the center console. Perfect! Has a slot for my iPhone and fits my Yeti. No more driving with the drink between my legs. 😎

Here’s a link if you are interested:

5AB86FD6-AB91-4C79-AB31-3BD1CCADA44C.jpeg
6119B98C-7F14-46A4-B4D9-6400AD305533.jpeg
B4D24925-542C-4AC2-8E9A-0FE82512CF74.jpeg
E82AAE32-9D3A-4312-9885-3CB2DC2BF3B5.jpeg
D6C625BE-4044-4CA9-A982-51B2572B002D.jpeg
07DFC82B-B985-4C93-BAFE-8ABF66563F69.jpeg

Busy week…installed a new fuse block (original one of the clips broke, so every time I hit a bump a fuse would pop out - original owner had a tape deck radio installed and instead of wiring it correctly decided to clip the hot wire into the clip of the block 🤷🏻‍♂️). Thanks @ToyotaMatt for the connector style block. Was a pain, but got it set up. Also installed a RetroSounds AM/FM radio that has Bluetooth connection, so it looks old, but connects to my iPhone, allows me to make calls, etc. Also got rid of the old carpet box and replaced with new speakers on the bar, as well as put in a double USB charger and speaker amp in the glovebox. All in all a nice set up! Pics below. Next up will be to begin researching a Sniper set up…

I also found a shop on Etsy where a shop 3D printed a cup holder that fits perfectly in the center console. Perfect! Has a slot for my iPhone and fits my Yeti. No more driving with the drink between my legs. 😎

View attachment 3146689View attachment 3146690View attachment 3146691View attachment 3146692View attachment 3146693View attachment 3146694
What kind of piece do you have that radio mounted in? That looks like it might be a solution for my situation

View attachment 3146689View attachment 3146690View attachment 3146691View attachment 3146692View attachment 3146693View attachment 3146694
I like the double USB placement. Been thinking of doing the same. How/where did you wire that in?

@rex in bama - I had a friend help me with the install of the radio, though it was was pretty simple. The radio slid into the area that was already cut out for the old Pioneer tape cassette. Then mounted as you typically do with the brackets that the radio came with. Plus a few things he had. Did need to make a cut out back plate from your typical radio conversion you see out there.

@samatulich - the USB was super easy. Went in through the back of the ashtray with the hole through the glove box and out the firewall. Direct mount to the battery. Here’s a pic to see the engine bay:

703BB5EC-88D3-4E29-AC07-D7648A05757B.jpeg

@rex in bama - I had a friend help me with the install of the radio, though it was was pretty simple. The radio slid into the area that was already cut out for the old Pioneer tape cassette. Then mounted as you typically do with the brackets that the radio came with. Plus a few things he had. Did need to make a cut out back plate from your typical radio conversion you see out there.

@samatulich - the USB was super easy. Went in through the back of the ashtray with the hole through the glove box and out the firewall. Direct mount to the battery. Here’s a pic to see the engine bay:

View attachment 3146941
I see. Wasnt sure if you tied in to Accessory Power or not. So the USB would only be Hot with the key turned to the Accessory or On position(s).
Great mod, I will be doing this.

So after running the engine for a bit, I'm questioning two things.

1 - Is it normal to have white smoke coming out of the valve cover

2 - what is this black substance coming out of the exhaust? It doesn't feel like oil.

View attachment 3144259
I have this same thing out of the exhaust. Sprays the garage wall😩

Been thinking about doing something like this speaker-wise with the bar.

How are these two positions sounding?
Personally not sure would like a speaker in my left ear. Found these pictures on the web.
BF74666E-FC5A-4C18-AAB6-6346045F18E3.png

F0E7372C-6601-4869-AAEF-81A82C0A583C.png

Have these ambulance doors got off a wrecked 84 HJ47RV cheap and will never be perfect so do not mind cutting a hole in them to add a speaker.
IMG_20190725_131834297.jpg
I'm
IMG_20190831_134817344.jpg

Still need to get these front doors here from Australia. These are from a HJ47RP. With a vent window will allow a deeper speaker in a opening already in the shell. Only the door card will need to be cut and small hole for the wiring.
5FA3E56E-6072-43AE-811E-58E2EB6F6214.jpeg
Then possibly cut hole in the side of the wheel wells at the back for sub woofer. The early seventies FJ40s have a emissions tank the was protected by a skid plate. Those welded in could make a weather tight cavity.

View attachment 3146941
Do you recall where you got the USB port in the glove box and the power reducer thingamajig from the battery to the wire feeding the USB port?

Wondering if anyone has installed one of these your the radio opening?
PXL_20221022_164723701.jpg
figure would make it convenient to remove a head unit. More for rough trials and dust versus thieft. Opening is already cut and have bunch of 90s early 2000s Toyota audio in single DIN.
IMG_20201105_205125776.jpg

Wondering if anyone has installed one of these your the radio opening?View attachment 3147322figure would make it convenient to remove a head unit. More for rough trials and dust versus thieft. Opening is already cut and have bunch of 90s early 2000s Toyota audio in single DIN.
View attachment 3147326
Mine had one of those single DIN in the stock location. A PO butchered the opening. Since I am building a restomod, I went in a different direction. I thought I was being creative, but then found out Steve H. did it before me. Now, speaker locations, to me, a bigger challenge.

20220703_143613 email size.jpg

Mine had one of those single DIN in the stock location. A PO butchered the opening. Since I am building a restomod, I went in a different direction. I thought I was being creative, but then found out Steve H. did it before me.

View attachment 3147346
I have to have a CD player. Not sure if that touch screen opens for a CD player? AZ has lot of washboards roads not sure how well it would hold up in short wheel base leaf spring suspension of FJ40. While I'm not looking to go stock the head unit with AM/FM and cassette looks close to period correct. Which also allows for a remote 6 CD player. Thought about in the back of one of the rear wheel wells for the remote CD player but inside the glove box would be smoother ride. Only have premium sound units which allows for options for aftermarket amp. Not sure how many single DIN radio/CD players I have but figure those would be sacrificed for the trail.

h82crash

I have tried to go OEM with my 40 but I am a closet resto mod fan! I like seeing what you guys do and I do like some modern conveniences. Speakers in my 40 would sound just like transmission whine, squeaks, rattles and wind noise.
Nice job.

Mine had one of those single DIN in the stock location. A PO butchered the opening. Since I am building a restomod, I went in a different direction. I thought I was being creative, but then found out Steve H. did it before me.

View attachment 3147346
I have to have a CD player. Not sure if that touch screen opens for a CD player? AZ has lot of washboards roads not sure how well it would hold up in short wheel base leaf spring suspension of FJ40. While I'm not looking to go stock the head unit with AM/FM and cassette looks close to period correct. Which also allows for a remote 6 CD player. Thought about in the back of one of the rear wheel wells for the remote CD player but inside the glove box would be smoother ride. Only have premium sound units which allows for options for aftermarket amp. Not sure how mansingle DIN radio/CD players I have but figure those would be sacrificed for the trail.

The opening isn’t big enough unless you cut the dash.

Most of my 40 already have cut dashes. Only have two 40 series and a 40 series cowl that aren't already cut. Repairing the opening to original really limits your audio options. Not looking to keep it 100% original. No 40 series pre 10/82 had a H55F and none period in the US. But I insist the five speed shift cane be in the stock location.

h82crash

I have tried to go OEM with my 40 but I am a closet resto mod fan! I like seeing what you guys do and I do like some modern conveniences. Speakers in my 40 would sound just like transmission whine, squeaks, rattles and wind noise.
Nice job.

Head unit with a remote amp, high amperage speakers can solve that. May require heavier wiring and bigger alternator but possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom