FJ55 Engine - How to Replace? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
I have recently taken over the restoration of my family's FJ55... Though I love Land Cruisers and have driven them my whole life, my knowledge is very limited. I'm told the engine has issues, primarily crank shaft but other problems as well. It was suggested that I go ahead and purchase a rebuilt original FJ55 engine and have my mechanic install it... does this sound like a reasonable idea? And if so, where does one purchase such a thing, and ensure it is high quality? Any help would be *much* appreciated.
Best,
Wendy

IMG_1255.jpeg

Y'all are awesome. And you're rekindling a very old dream to understand and work on car engines... For now I plan to reach out to Marks Off Road (thank you @LAMBCRUSHER) since I'm located in SoCal, but I do have a friend with the space and tools to get my hands dirty and check something off my bucket list... we'll see we'll see, and if so I'll send an engine pic. Gonna see what they say first at Marks. Thanks everyone!!!
Now you're talking. I've heard of that Mark A. guy, he's probably one of the better mechanics that you'll find in that part of Burbank...

Mark works from his phone exclusively. Give him a call and leave a message if it goes to voice mail

(818) 953-9230
Hey all! I'm not having luck reaching Mark... rings awhile then starts beeping. No voicemail. I tried texting but that gave me an invalid # error.

Anyone know how to reach Mark from Marks Off Road!? Or know any other stellar FJ mechanics in the LA area?

Thanks all!

Anyone know how to reach Mark from Marks Off Road!? Or know any other stellar FJ mechanics in the LA area?

Thanks all!
The first, and perhaps most important, lesson about LandCruisers that Mark A. will teach you is patience.

He’ll be worth waiting for. I’ve never met him in person, but have heard and seen what great work he has done.

I don't have much expertise in CA emissions law, but you need to find out which replacement engines could trigger emission equipment headaches.

I read here on 'Mud that certain counties in CA have draconian emissions requirements, and installing later model engines could require emissions equipment that originally came with that engine. These regs may not apply to older trucks (pre 1975?)

This MIGHT be why you were told to find a matching engine to what you have, so you wouldn't trigger major issues.

Don't think the year of this one in question was ever said but 1975 and older don't require emissions.

I am back. I would recommend a full vehicle evaluation before proceeding with a rebuild. Answering machine is on if you want to leave me a voicemail.😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom