Have you changed your cabin air filter(s) lately? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
0BD23D84-75F5-4BC3-9A39-0C03A8EDCC89.jpeg

Thought I’d see what was happening with my new 99 LX470. Aaaaand…. Yeah.

Sheesh, I think my 02 LC is all sealed up.... but looks like there are some threads out there on how to tear into it.
Do you remember when was the previous filter change? Also, after changing, does the A/C perform noticeably better?
Thanks!
No idea when it was. This vehicle is new to me. Better ac performance for sure! Also it’s probably an illusion but the air just feels better.

I did this exactly a year ago, and while at it, serviced the evaporator core.

I cleaned the AC filter box first;
0663E680-D89B-4A03-907C-E2F05089067C.jpeg

You can get creative extending that toothbrush head.

Once the bigger debris are out, next was to wash down the fins of the evaporator using soapy water;
8AFC4797-B234-4B20-A540-825403273755.jpeg

I moved and adjusted the end of the hose to start at the top of the fins to slowly erode the finer debris on the fins itself.

Before you start rinsing the evaporator fins, prep up a catch basin underneath the cruiser so you can collect that dirty water to check progress if the drained water is still dirty or slowly getting clear.
D9E9E529-219B-4FB2-9D61-5FA7E3D528AC.jpeg

This was the initial collected water, super dirty!

Went for the active carbon type of ac cabin filter.
31893DC6-F83F-42C9-A6B5-EF1783A51FF1.jpeg

The outcome, unusual smell went away, 3x faster cooling of the ac system, you save yourself the hassle of getting a clogged evaporator drain = longer ac lifespan. Win win.

Last edited:
I did this exactly a year ago, and while at it, serviced the evaporator core.

I cleaned the AC filter box first;
View attachment 3024789
You can get creative extending that toothbrush head.

Once the bigger debris are out, next was to wash down the fins of the evaporator using soapy water;
View attachment 3024790
I moved and adjusted the end of the hose to start at the top of the fins to slowly erode the finer debris on the fins itself.

Before you start rinsing the evaporator fins, prep up a catch basin underneath the cruiser so you can collect that dirty water to check progress if the drained water is still dirty or slowly getting clear.View attachment 3024797
This was the initial collected water, super dirty!

Went for the active carbon type of ac cabin filter.View attachment 3024791

The outcome, unusual smell went away, 3x faster cooling of the ac system, you save yourself the hassle of getting a clogged evaporator drain = longer ac lifespan. Win win.
Great pics! I did the active carbon too. Now I wanna get back in there and do the evaporator!

Great pics! I did the active carbon too. Now I wanna get back in there and do the evaporator!
Thanks it’s a straight forward job, just a bit labor intensive. It took me about 5 cycles and 5 gallons maybe of soapy water washing down the fins. My initial order of business wasn’t actually the ac filter, it was the evaporator box leaking condensation on the floor mats of the front passenger. Had that knocked out by applying silicone sealant, hasn’t leaked since.

Got your full value out of that one.
Right? I thought I’d get a visit from the Bureau of Land Management for smuggling all that stuff in my car. Unauthorized transport of an ecosystem.

Interesting...I looked for a cabin filter in my Land Cruiser 100 series VX 1HD-FTE 2006 model ..but is not able to find this item?? I presume not all the Land Cruiser 100 series vehicles in South Africa is equipped with a cabin filter??? Please advice if I am wrong in my assumption??

Interesting...I looked for a cabin filter in my Land Cruiser 100 series VX 1HD-FTE 2006 model ..but is not able to find this item?? I presume not all the Land Cruiser 100 series vehicles in South Africa is equipped with a cabin filter??? Please advice if I am wrong in my assumption??
I read somewhere that indeed, not all 100 series came with a cabin filter. I may be wrong but it’s worth looking up for your vehicle.

I didn't think my 99 LC had a Cabin Air filter? Was this just an LX thing...or what am I missing? Is it behind the glove box, or under like many?

I didn't think my 99 LC had a Cabin Air filter? Was this just an LX thing...or what am I missing? Is it behind the glove box, or under like many?
Mine involved removing the glove box (very easy). I don’t know if every LC/LX had a cabin air filter that year.

All of the 100 series have the evaporator and box in the same location but some just don't have the replaceable filter. For those of us without it, there is a few threads out there about modifying it but I haven't done it yet.

I mostly just want to get in there to wash the evaporator out like posted above.

@2001LC gives a great overview of adding the filters here. I did this a couple weeks back, only additional advice is to remove a few more screws around the dash/console to give more room to swap out the covers.

Andrew
Awesome, thanks for sharing that. So just pop the screws out of the original and swap with the cover piece eh? seems simple enough.

My 99LC had the filter door but no filters installed when I purchased mine about 7 years ago. I'm running the activated charcoal versions shown above...

Amazon link....
Amazon product ASIN B08X8R27JP

What cabin air filter. lol

Haha, same here on my 02 LX470, no cabin filter.
Every time when I start the fan at a higher setting, clouds of dust coming into the cabin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom